Monteverde Rustic Lodge
US$64
US$60
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
US$29
US$68
US$267
US$259
US$51
1,143 results
All reviewshis brotherpancakessabor ticocosta ricathe ownerwooden furniturefruitsoccer fieldgreat place to stayevery morningcloud forestbreakfast was deliciousla fortunadowntown santa elenarooms are basicthin wallsnight hike
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2009

I've been staying at Rustic Lodge since March 6th (today is evening of the 7th). I plan to stay through the 9th. This is one of the friendliest, nicest places I've stayed in Costa Rica. Jose greets you when you arrive and makes you feel like family. It really really rained alot the first night (and was very windy) and I wasnt sure I was going to stay 2 more days in Monteverde because of the weather, but today cleared up and was lovely sunny and the cloud forest was spectacular. Jose was so great about my not being sure I would stay, and accomodated my changing plans with nothing but friendliness and helpfulness. The Rustic Lodge looks even nicer in person than on the website. Lovely garden out back, nice warm adobe colors, exposed hardwood woodwork. Lovely place. It's a short taxi ride ($1.50) or 10 minute walk from the center of Santa Elena, so you don't have any noise at all. Great for sleeping! Jose will help you plan whatever activity you want as well (if you want). I love this place and so will you!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I stayed here with two friends on our first trip to Costa Rica. Jose was extremely friendly and helpful. He made us coffee on our arrival and helped us to plan and book our excursions. Really it was the best service I have ever received at a hotel and I travel quite a bit.

The rooms were very clean and spacious. Breakfast was made fresh for us in the morning. The lodge is located within easy walking distance to the bank and restaurants.

This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Clean and spacious with well-kept bathrooms (big plus!), hot water, a great breakfast (must try the homemade granola!) and Jose, the owner, was one of the most amazingly genuine, honest, and helpful people we met on our trip! We arrived on Valentine's day and he greeted us with some freshly brewed local coffee and brought up a rose and chocolate - such a nice guy! He helped us book our tours and was REALLY helpful with driving directions and restaurant suggestions. Our room was on the second floor with a great view, closest to the street. The only thing some people might not like is the occasional traffic noise from the street (not too busy of a street though). The room was very well insulated considering the blustery winds outside! Only a 10-15 minute walk into Santa Elena square. Would definitely go back and stay here the next trip!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Rustic Lodge is a real bargain and a absolute "must-stay" while you are in Monteverde. The hotel is perfectly situated in the town and is within easy walking distance to the shops. The rooms are a great size, the bathroom is monsterouly huge and is perfect for the budget conscious traveler. The towels are a little on the small and thin side but.......Don't let the budget-ness of this place sway you into thinking it is short on hospitality. Jose and his brother treat you as if you were in their family and are extremely nice and full of local knowledge. They will help you plan your perfect day in the town. They are both amazing hosts! I would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Sometimes you will recommend a place not just for the room, but for something extra that makes a place worthwhile. Jose and his brother and staff would be enough to bring me here again. This is their own hotel and they treat you as a valued guest. A tropical drink to refresh you after a zipline or a hot tea in the afternoon. A welcoming smile when you enter the office. Safe, clean, comfortable, and a value. We ran into large groups, lone female travelers, couples, etc. All seemed happy. Us, too. Very helpful in arranging excursions, too.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple