Overall, this is a nice enough place to stay, especially for the price. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and we had our laundry washed and folded promptly during our stay (even if it cost about $8, we were glad to have the option as it was beyond time for laundry!). Our room and bathroom were clean, there was a stand-up air conditioner unit, an older but functional mini fridge, and cable TV. We had an excellent view of the Gulf of Nicoya from our room, through the large picture window on one side. At night something about the lighting in the room made it feel a little depressing (though they were using energy-saving bulbs, which is good), and the first evening we stayed there we started to notice a sewage smell until we left. Not sure if it was coming from outside or what, but that was unpleasant.
There is a nice shared kitchen on the 2nd floor with dishes and a refrigerator/freezer to use, along with plenty of tables, chairs, and hammocks. The view when facing the gulf is wonderful. A limited but tasty breakfast is included each morning, provided you did not lose your breakfast pass issued each day by the front desk. There is an urn of coffee available on the 2nd floor during most of the day, and a selection of tea available at all times.
The front office is helpful but pretty intense in regards to helping you sign up for tours, activities, etc. We had booked ours in advance and did not need help, but we were given a 10-min. informational session upon arrival. Our second night there a couple was having a screaming and crying match on the opposite side of our room; other than that, it was pretty darn quiet. The nightly winds made it sound as if the building was going to blow over (though didn't feel like it), which we personally liked -- you can't really avoid the wind in that area, so it will probably be the same no matter where you stay.
This hotel is really close to the main drag of Santa Elena/Monteverde, including a large-ish grocery store, tons of restaurants, and a pharmacy (side note: don't expect the pharmacy to be like one in the U.S., as we were hard pressed to find much anywhere in the way of sunburn relief let alone any first aid ointment/creams). There are two banks and a post office relatively nearby.
All told, this was a pretty nice place to stay, and the staff are wonderful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monteverde Budget Cabins Cabinas vista Al Golfo offers cheap lodging in Santa Elena Monteverde, we are located very close to the town of Santa Elena,we offer cheap cabins for you to spend your vacations in Monteverde Costa Rica, come and stay with us at this small and clean hostel.Cabinas Vista Al GolfoWe are located in an ideal spot, from our lodge balcony and look out point you can enjoy a beautiful and exuberant view, you can see the dinamyc climate changes of the monteverde cloud forestfrom our look out point experience one of the best views of the mountains of Monteverde and the Nicoya Gulf Community kitchen fully equipped, refregirator, microwave, toaster, coffe maker and everything you should need Deluxe Apartments fully equipped kitchen private bathroomprivate balcony with the best view for the mountain and nicoya gulfExcellent hot water system Cable T V Security Box FREE BREAKFASTWI-FIFREE INTERNETFREE COFFEE AND TEACabinas Vista Al Golfo Is costarican family run hotel in Santa Elena the owner Jorge Campos and his wife Anali Lopez will assist you personally with everything you should need, they do speak very good English so if you do not speak our language that should be no problem, you can enquire for tours in the area among other things ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and HostelWorld so you can book your Cabinas and Hotel Vista Al Golfo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cabinas Vista Al Golfo Hotel Santa Elena
- Cabinas And Hotel Vista Al Golfo Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena