Rainbow Valley Lodge
US$267
US$259
Travelocity
US$45
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe ownercloud forestcosta ricahis wifein townwhite faced monkeyscoffee makerthe perfect place to staysmall kitchenettean incredible viewsurrounded by naturean amazing hostrustic charmmonteverde reservelarge windowsgreat recommendationsrecommend this place
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed at the Rainbow Valley Lodge for three nights during our trip to Monteverde.
Location wise, it is perfectly situated to explore the area.
In terms of accommodation, it is exactly as described on the website. The accommodation is simple, and benefits from fantastic views. We were lucky to have a big troop of quatis in the trees next to our room which came right to the door and ate bananas out of our hands.
Rolf is also a wonderful host and was very helpful with providing advice on the best tours to take and reserves to visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Rainbow Valley Lodge is a beautiful place. The owner is very friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. The cabin was the perfect size for our family of four, with plenty of room to spread out in. The lodge is close to everything, and has a beautiful view of the valley, over which we did see a rainbow on our first day. Read more about Monteverde on my blog, http://teentravelbabble.wordpress.com/!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Accommodations: Exactly as described. Beautifully situated, nestled atop a valley just outside the town of Santa Elena, all units seem to have breathtaking views (the standalone casita and the lower room both have their own patios and the upper room has its own porch with glass windows that slide all the way open to make it feel like you are outside on top of the trees). The upper room was very comfortable, and had all the needed amenities and comforts of modern living, while preserving the rustic charm and feel of the area.

Rolf: Great individual. Aside from being a bright and interesting person, he has a great sense of pride in his work and it shows. He was extremely attentive to all of our needs, filled with great local insight, provided great recommendation and referrals (will review local guide in another review) and he was also a pleasure to talk to.

We will most certainly be coming back and we would recommend anyone going to the area to make this their short term home.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I did a ton of research for my Costa Rica vacation,having booked the airfare almost a year in advance and I have to admit the biggest (and really only) mistake I made in my planning was staying at the Rainbow Valley Lodge for a couple of nights.

In the future I will stay here for at 4 least nights. As has been stated many times before this is a magical place to stay in a magical location. Costa Rica truly is a fascinating country to visit with such a variety of wildlife, birds, climates and plantlife to see within a relatively short distance from each destination. We visited several different locations (see my upcoming trip report) all of which were wonderful. Our favorite location however was the Monteverde/Santa Elena area in no small part due to the Rainbow Valley Lodge and its gracious owner,Rolf.

My wife ,17 year old son and I stayed at 6 different hotels during our 19 day stay each one of which cost at least 2 to 3 times as much as the RVL. I didn't choose this place because of the price or because of the luxurious amenities.

I chose it because of what appeared to be such a cool location where coati mundi and monkeys may visit you just out your back door surrounded by a jungle like setting, because it appeared to have a a spacious deck with comfortable chairs where you could relax and have a cold beer straight from the refridgerator after a day of hiking or exploring, because it apparently had comfortable beds which made for a good sleep, because its owner was said to go above and beyond any reasonable expectation of hospitality, because it seemed to have a character to it that wasn't evident in other places I considered etc, etc etc.

Well I am happy to say it is all true.

With a 2 night stay you really only have a couple of nights and a day and a half to cram everything you want to see and do into before you have to leave.The roads into and out of Monteverde are not good so you arrive relatively late and leave somewhat earlier than you might like. I sincerely hope that they do not improve the roads as this would likely increase the number of tourists thus reducing the charm of the area. We visited in July which is during the slower season.

So how did Rolf come through in flying colors?Well, my wife was very hopeful that we would see a Resplendant Quetzel during our trip. Having done the research on Costa Rica I knew that Monteverde was the only location we were visiting where we might see one of these gorgeous birds.. I also knew that because mating season had passed it was quite unlikely we would see one in July and I had prepared her for this.Still, she was bound and determined that she was going to see a Quetzel before we left. Accordingly, the pressure was on Rolf to arrange for a guide who would be able to lead us to our holy grail (quetzel). Rolf suggested that we would probably have the best chance of seeing one at a private reserve called Curi Canche and he would arrange for us to meet our guide at opening time the next morning.

We made sure we arrived 15 minutes earlier than the place opened and found that our guide was already there. Before we had spent 5 minutes on our hike we had already seen a Pecary, a Toucanette, and a large toucan. Then when a couple of other guides took their clients down a hiil to see a porcupine our guide said come on we'll see the porcupine later...so when the others went to see a pocupine we headed off up the hill in the opposite direction. It was maybe 15 minutes later that our guide directed us off the main dirt path and onto an obscure not too visible side path. Five minutes later we stopped and he started examining a large tree in the middle of some pasture like terrain and sure enough we saw a Quetzel!...and then another...and then another! We saw 2 males and 1 female and we watched them undisturbed for several minutes before they flew off to another location. I don't think the other people with the other guides who went to see the porcupine saw the Quetzels. They are indeed resplendant with bright green colors and a bright red breast with the males having tail feathers 2 feet long. Our guide helped me take pictures of them through the telescope he brought for viewing them very close up nad explained at this time of year the avocados are not to be found in the higher up cloud forrests. Accordingly, you are more likely to see the Quetzels in the somewhat lower locations where they can still find the avocados they love to eat.

My wife was so happy to see these magnificent birds that she gave our guide a hug,saying thankyou! thankyou! I would be remiss if I didn't mention his name... which is Marcos A Menddez Sibaja (phone no. 2645-7231) Our tour with him lasted over 4 hours during which we spotted countless birds etc. Oh and by the way at the end of our tour we still went down the hill to see the porcupine which he promised would still be sleeping in the trees.

There are many other things I could mention but I would only be repeating what has already been said over and over again in past reviews. I have cited this experience above as an example as to how a great owner of a small lodge can make a significant difference to your holiday.This wonderful experience, which we will forever remember; would not have happened had it not been for Rolf arranging for the top guide in the area.So that is how he came through with flying colors! Thankyou Rolf.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cabin but the other 2 rooms would be gret as well.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank canuckstonola
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My wife and I and our two children (ages 5 and 7) stayed 5 nights in the cabin and absolutely loved it. Our first morning was welcomed with the sound of pouring rain, the cheerful visitation of a coati, and the haunting call of the Bellbird. I loved sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and a book. It was incredibly relaxing. The cabin is built into the side of the valley, tucked away in a magical environment of lush and verdant flora.

Rolf, the owner, was more than accommodating. As others have said, he was very helpful in setting up any of the local tours, recommending a restaurant that fit our taste and budget, and plenty of other things. He was awesome with the kids and just an overall great guy.

As far as the cabin goes: It had plenty of room for the four of us. The beds were comfortable. Two full bathrooms and the makeup sink was a bonus. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook the majority of our meals. The grounds were gorgeous and the view overlooking the valley is pure magic.

We were lucky to have almost three full days with sunshine and no rain and I have to say that we were sad to leave. We could have easily stayed another couple of days. Overall we could not have been happier with our stay at RVL. Thank you Rolf.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family