“Monteverde's Best Kept Secret!”

and 1 more site!
Rainbow Valley Lodge
Reviewed 14 March 2008

This was a dream come true! Why anyone would stay anywhere else in Santa Elena/Monteverde is beyond me. We rented both the top and bottom floor of this house and couldn't believe it was all for us! You can't imagine the view until you see it yourself!

Rolf was incredibly nice, more than happy to answer any questions we had and helped us find our way around this great town. He gave us great directions from San Jose. We didn't miss a beat!

The house was clean, the beds were comfortable and we felt as if we lived there.

I am so happy to tell everyone about Rainbow Valley Lodge, but also consider it Monteverde's Best Kept Secret.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 March 2008

We stayed in Rainbow Valley Lodge for the first 2 nights we were in Costa Rica. It was everything we expected and more. Rolf was hospitable and set up the tours we wanted to take as well as recommended places to go and things to see. We rented the whole house for the 2 nights and the view from the top floor was amazing. All of Rainbow Lodge was completely peaceful and absolutely beautiful! Next time I am in Costa Rica I will definitely stay there again. I miss it already!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2008

This place is perfect. Spend the extra $10 for the top floor room and you get a nice sundeck overlooking the forest canopy, complete with a kitchenette. The bed is comfortable, shower pressure great, Rolf is always available and super clean. And it's literally just up the road from "downtown" Monteverde.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2008

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Rainbow Valley Lodge, and I cannot recommend it enough. I contacted Rolf via email, who gave me a complete description of his place, as well as of other places in the area for comparison purposes, leaving the decision up to me. I am so glad we went with Rainbow Valley.

The other reviews do a great job of describing the property - I'll just add that more than anything, it feels like your own private getaway. Being in the secluded upper room lets you feel like you have your own place. The view is amazing, and we were visited by all kinds of wildlife, including coatis, capuchin monkeys and mot-mots. And on the second day, the valley was filled with rainbows for the entire afternoon (not just a clever name).

Rolf was incredibly nice and helpful, recommending things to see and places to go, and organized tour guides and transportation from the hotel. We did the suspension bridge tour at Seveltura (Rolf arranged our pick-up) and had a guided tour at Monteverde the next morning (also arranged by Rolf). Other than that, it was just super peaceful to hang out at the hotel (it's really more of a B&B). Had coffee and cereal in the morning with the monkeys looking through the window, and beers at the end of the day in the little open-air porch to the side. We also went to the Ranaria (frog house) in the evening. At first we were unimpressed, but then a Canadian kid named Nick took us on an incredible tour, explaining every single frog in detail for over 2 hours. Highly recommended.

All in all, can't say enough about Rainbow Valley Lodge. Definitely the best place we stayed at, and one of the highlights of our trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScratchLightning
Reviewed 16 January 2008

I searched and searched online for the perfect place to stay with my husband and parents. When I read about Rainbow Valley Lodge it sounded perfect and it was. We rented both the upper and lower room for 3 nights. It's in a peaceful location - far enough away from Santa Elena, but not too far. The view is amazing, and if you enjoy wildlife you'll have fun with the coatis and capuchin monkeys that frequent the lodge.

Rolf was exceptionally helpful. He helped me make travel arrangements before we arrived and had lots of advice and tips for things to do in the Monteverde area.

If you like big hotels with fancy swimming pools with bar stools, this may not be the place for you, but if you enjoy peace and nature you'll love it.

It's the best deal in all of Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2008

We stayed 2 nights in the Upper Room at Rainbow Valley Resort.. The owner, Rolf, was great and very helpful and the room was spectacular! Considering our $40 payment I wasn't sure what to expect but the room was wonderful. It was all brand new, built into the mountain with an outstanding view. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom very clean, new and had hot water! There was an amazing and comfortable windowed porch with a kitchenette that allowed us to sit, relax, nap, read and just stare at the beauty before us. There was complimentry coffee and a little fridge and monkeys right outside the window! From here we walked into Santa Elena to eat in about 10 minutes. We were so happy with the room we were anxious to get back after a day of exploring and relax. In our 2 week travel of costa rica, Rainbow Valley provided our most favourite room. This is a hidden jem! I would highly recommend this place, especially the upper room for anyone travelling in the monteverde or santa elena area.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2008

My daughter and I stayed three nights at the Rainbow Valley in the upper floor, and it was absolutely wonderful. I did not want to leave. Immaculate, terrific view of the forests including a wonderful thunder storm to watch when we were there, monkeys watching the windows of the incredible porch in the morning, nice little kitchen with complementary Monteverde coffee, quiet, nice linens, very reasonably priced – you won't believe what you will get for your money!! Just can't say enough about the place, and I'm not the type of person to be complimentary if I didn't like it.

And then there is Rolf, the fun and congenial owner, who lives up the hill. He was great at suggesting activities, tour guides, and transportation, and then booking them at the drop of a hat. Seemed to know everyone in town. The Rainbow Valley is about a 10-15 minute pleasant walk from downtown, but Rolf will have his red pickup truck started and ready to take you before you even can open your mouth to ask him to. Taxis are always waiting in town to take you back for a couple of dollars, or you can walk back like we did a few times. You don't need a car to stay there.

All through the rest of our trip in Costa Rica, every time anyone would mention Monteverde, I would tell them to stay at the Rainbow Valley, and then we would pull out our digital camera and show pictures. No kidding, it is terrific, particularly the upper room with the amazing porch with windows on all four sides (one set of windows looks into the bedroom, but that way the bedroom has the view too).

This property is fairly new, so you could probably still get lucky enough to get a room (there's only two rooms, upper and lower). But as the word spreads, I wouldn't doubt Rolf will be booked up almost all year around.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
#5 of 20 in Monteverde
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
#1 of 20 in Monteverde

Been to Rainbow Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!