Hands down, this was our favorite place to stay in Costa Rica!
Owner: Rolf, the Minnesotan ex-pat who owns the RVL, is the best! Before we even got to Monteverde, he helped us arrange our jeep-boat-jeep transfer from La Fortuna (and our travel onward to the Pacific coast), and at a price significantly lower than anyone else we met was paying. Once we arrived, he helped us to get all of our bags down to the rooms, showed us all of the facilities and features, and talked to us about the many options for activities in the Monteverde area. He helped to set us up with ziplining and hiking (the latter in the Curi-Cancha reserve, which was EXCELLENT), went over the local map, gave us a ton of coupons to local activities and dining, and discussed the food options. Then, throughout our stay, he checked in with us to make sure that everything was going well, called taxis for us, etc. We also enjoyed just chatting with him! He was absolutely an ideal host - I wish that there could be a Rolf everywhere we travel!
Rooms: Both on the website, and in our email correspondence, Rolf makes sure to emphasize that the rooms are simple (we rented the upper and lower rooms for our family of 4). I suppose that they are simple, compared to some posh place, but they certainly more than met all of our needs! The beds were very comfortable, the shower was refreshing, and there was plenty of space for all of our stuff. The kitchenette in the upper room let us prepare some cheap meals (the Super Compro in town is quite extensive for grocery shopping), and having a minifridge and microwave was great for some cold beer and popcorn at the end of the day. The views from the rooms over the valley were OUTSTANDING. It was absolutely gorgeous looking into the forest at the beginning and end of each day, and it was fun to see the local coati peeking in at us from the branch of an adjacent tree.
Location: The lodge has all of the benefits of a peaceful, quiet location, with the conveniences of Santa Elena just a short 10 minute walk away (our kids are 6 and 9, and we made it to the edge of town in 10 minutes, easy). We walked in the daylight, and took taxis in the dark, which were just $1-2. I wouldn't want to stay in Santa Elena itself, as it is a bit of a mess of cars and shops, so this was a perfect compromise.
In summary, if there is any space available at the RVL for your visit, book it now!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde is close to the town of Santa Elena, about 15 minutes walking or 3 minutes in a vehicle. With only eight rooms and no neighbors close by you can enjoy peace and quiet in a forest setting. We have Wi-Fi signal in all rooms. Clean rooms with hot water, possible chance to see animals right outside the rooms and owner help with guides and activities. All rooms have coffeemaker and Monteverde coffee plus small refrigerator. Parking near the rooms. Prices compare very favorably to other accommodations in Monteverde. We are not 5 star so please do not expect total luxury! We hope to see you here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Rainbow Valley Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rainbow Valley Hotel Santa Elena
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena