Rainbow Valley Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel El Tucan(Santa Elena)
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)
  • Breakfast included
Cala Lodge(Monteverde)
El Establo(Monteverde)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsthe ownercloud forestcosta ricahis wifein townwhite faced monkeyscoffee makerthe perfect place to staysmall kitchenettean incredible viewsurrounded by naturean amazing hostrustic charmmonteverde reservelarge windowsgreat recommendationsrecommend this place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We stayed at the Rainbow Valley Lodge last summer, and it turned out to be our favorite hotel of the entire stay. With 2 teenage daughters, we rented both the upstairs and downstairs rooms: everything was spotlessly clean, with lovely grounds and lots of quiet and privacy. Rolf, the owner, was stellar in communicating with us both before and during our trip- he helped us with all necessary arrangements and also with other more general Costa Rica questions.

We enjoyed the short- 10 minute- walk into town. It was an easy stroll, and especially pleasant after dinner to walk off the meal and return to the peace of our lodgings. Also, we liked picking up some fruit and yogurt and eggs and preparing them for breakfast in the room's kitchen area.

Rolf had asked us to pick up some Nicorette for him here in the States, where its cheaper, and when we settled up our bill at the end of our stay he actually credited me a bit more than what I had paid. (**Rolf, hope you're still successful in quitting smoking- we'd like to see you when we make it back there someday!**) He also let me use his computer to check my email, and had great recommendations for restaurants, activities, transportation, etc. He is scrupulously honest and fair, and you won't find a better host or lovelier rooms to relax in.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Heathergirl
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Although upon approach from the road, the Rainbow Valley Lodge isn't much to look at, the villas themselves are outstanding, and Rolf is an incredible host! He's fitted up each villa with great amenities and decorations that are at once exotic and homey. The kitchen is well-stocked with utensils and cooking basics and a big fridge so you can snack and cook to your heart's content. The bedrooms and bathrooms are comfortable and serviceable with nice showers and ample sink and mirror space for a small group. The living areas are inviting and relaxing - you'll want to spend all day on the porch watching for the local coatis (Diablo and mate) and drinking in the view over the valley. We stayed for only a couple days, but would have been happy here for weeks!

Rolf is also well-versed in local tourism services and will arrange anything you need at your say-so. He set us up with a park reserve guide named Rafa whom we greatly enjoyed, as well as all the transportation we needed (since we didn't rent a car).

We will definitely stay here next time we visit Costa Rica!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank NoyesGirls
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Rainbow Valley Lodge is named appropriately. I saw rainbows three times right from the room, over the mountains and into the steep, green valley. A breathtaking sight! I stayed in the upper room for a week. I call it my vacation home, and I come back to reality totally relaxed. Whenever I need to decompress, this is where I come. It is so tranquil and the view (with those huge windows all around you) makes you forget about everything. There is wildlife all around you, and you find yourself transported to another world, filled with monkeys, coati, birds of all kinds, fireflies, fox, along with all the night noises that rock you to sleep. I saw the coati on two days foraging in the treetops right outside the room (about 20 of them with little babies). It was incredible!! I saw a couple on the ground on previous visits and had no idea they foraged in the treetops!! The monkeys were there almost daily foraging in the treetops as well (about 20 of them, too). There was also a full moon, which shined right into the room, that lit up the entire valley and gave you a different perspective of your surroundings. Simply put …. it's PARADISE.

The kitchen provides an opportunity to go to the local grocery store and get items to fix in the room for breakfast or a snack for those times that you simply cannot leave because everything going on around you cannot be missed. This is seasonal, of course, depending on the fruits in the trees, and cannot be predicted with certainty what will happen in the wild just outside the room.

This budget room is simply the best deal in town, and there is really no other place like it in the area, at any price. There is no tv or phone, but "town" is just a 15 minute walk to a phone, the internet, or the many restaurants.

Here's a "shout out" to Donde Henry, my NEW favorite place to eat in Monteverde (recommended by Rolf and Cindye). It's behind the bakery off the main street. The food here is VERY reasonable for the budget conscious and made fresh, even though it's cafeteria style. Everything is a la carte. You can get a plate of fruit here for $2, and everywhere else it's $6. I got a steak for less than $1.50. Everything was yummy. You can also get your items "to go" and put it in your fridge until later, which was very handy, as I did this several times, not wanting to pull myself away from that full moon.

A special thanks to Cindye, who was taking care of the place while Rolf was out. She was very helpful and marvelous at handling everything.

Willing to share any tips or info…just contact me.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Atsoc
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I have traveled all over Europe and stay at some wonderful places, but this place is high on my list of favorite places. I e-mailed Rolf weeks before we went to Costa Rica. He had everything taken care of when we got there. A driver picked up up at the airport. He was great! He stopped along the way so we could get something to eat and shop at a gift shop. Rolf also arranged for a guide to Cloud Forest, a taxi to take us there and bring us back. Also arranged with the guide and driver payment for each. The taxi drivers don't speak a lot of English, but are so nice. The cost of taxi trips are very cheap and they look for wildlife via our trips and stop so we can take photos of them. The guide was the best. He spoke very good english and knew every plant in the forest. If you visit the Cloud Forest while there ask Rolf to get the guide the Rogers used.

The cabin was a rustic, but a dream. The view of the wildlife was great. We were visted every time we went out on the porch. There was a cute fox that came up to visit with us the first two days we were there and the last day she brought her pups.

We visit several places while in Costa Rica that were luxury places, but this was our favorite place.

Rolf also made plans for a driver for us to go to our next locations. We did not have to make any arrangement while staying with him. He did it all for us. Even took us to town to show us around and pointed out places to eat and visit. The town is close enough to walk to, but the taxi is not but around $1.00.

We ate at a restaurant called Tree House Restaurant. The food was wonderful and you were in the top of a tree!!! If you come here be sure to eat there.

Thank you Rolf for the best time ever!!!!! Can't wait to come back for a visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R0gers
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Rainbow Valley Lodge and its owner, Rolf, are the absolute best! We only stayed 2 nights here; if we ever go back, we will stay longer...it is incredibly relaxing.

Even though it was only my husband and I, we stayed in the family cabin, which has a bedroom with its own bathroom, a kitchen, a murphy bed, a twin bed and another bathroom. There is a grocery store right in town so we bought some food, drinks, etc. to have in the room - it was really nice to be able to get up in the morning, make some coffee and sit on the porch drinking it before venturing off to our day activities. The best part, in our opinion, was the covered patio...we spent hours sitting on the porch. We would read and then take breaks to watch our visitors (monkeys and a coatamunidi); the monkeys and coatamundi were literally 5/10 feet away...I think it was the closest we were to the wild life while we in Costa Rica. The porch was also very handy during the usual afternoon thunderstorm...we could still sit outside, which was nice. Otherwise, the cabin was very clean and very comfortable!

Rainbow Valley Lodge is probably a 10 minute walk from town...you can also take a cab; it was so nice when we were there that we always walked (even late at night...we just took a flashlight). Rolf will help you set up all of your day activities...he helped match us up with a night tour and a tour of the cloud forest. Both were great and it was so nice just to chat with Rolf and have it all set up for you the next day! Rolf also booked our transportation to our next Costa Rican destination.

I cannot say enough good things about this place...I see now why others on TripAdvisor said they did not want to leave a review and let the cat out of the bag!! Thanks again Rolf and we hope to see you again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple