“Let Rolf plan your trip”

and 1 more site!
Rainbow Valley Lodge
GEORGIA
“Let Rolf plan your trip”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

All the reviews you read are true. We saw more up close wildlife on our back porch than in all of the Monteverde cloud forest. Rolf supplies the bananas , and the animals come. We stayed in the house that had a kitchenette and a separate bedroom. It was great. The price was fantastic. Rolf came down once of twice a day to check on us and help us plan our day. He has a genuine concern for the happiness of his guests. You MUST stay here. Also, be sure to eat at Donde Henri's.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hebrew first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 December 2009

The reviews on Tripadvisor seemed to good to be true, but all the positive comments about this place are, indeed, true. We stayed in the top unit and had a great view of the cloud forest, even saw a couple rainbows. Some of my favorite memories of Costa Rica are of watching all the animals that passed by... quite a number of white faced monkeys, coatis, and even an agouti. Had a great time feeding the little guys and taking photos! We've typically stayed at all-inclusive resorts while traveling, so this hotel was a bit out of the norm for us... but all in a good way. It was so quiet there, and I felt surrounded by nature. The room was simple,comfortable, and cozy; the kitchenette was nice, so we could keep our food/beer cold. Rolf is a great host-- I recommend setting up tours through him; he'll get you a better rate. (Juan Carlos was a fun guide at the Monteverde Reserve.) Rolf is very knowledgeable about the area, and had good recommendations on where to grab a bite to eat; even gave us some coupons and rides into Santa Elena. Rolf really made us feel at home in a foreign country. I hear there is guest access for the internet now, which is a nice addition. So if you're looking for a great value for staying in the Monteverde area, look no further!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kthom33
ar.
Reviewed 16 December 2009

The owner -manager Roff was most helpful with things to do in the area etc.The room was great with a beautiful view of the mountains from which monkeys came daily to ask f
or treats.I fed them bananas and took many great pictures.
The room had a kitchenette which included microwave,small fridge,sink,dishes,silverware,etc.
What I liked most was the solitude of valley lodge.A ten minute walk from Santa Elena I avoided the bustle of tourists which there are many in this area .I walked to town many times during my week stay but was at the end of the day always happy to return to the beautiful view and quiet solitude of my cabin.If this is what you are looking for I doubt there will be a better place for the price paid.When I return to costa rica with my family I will stay at rainbow valley lodge once again.A quaint and peaceful experience.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Carlow
Reviewed 11 December 2009

During my trip to Costa Rica I stayed in a place called Rainbow Valley Lodge, about a 10 minute walk from the centre of Monteverde (where the famous cloud forest is) and it was the best value accommodation I had during my whole trip. For the price you pay to include the service, views and odd surprise visit from a monkey or two is a rarity nowadays, not to mention the birds.

The owner was a mind full of information and help, which is very handy when your Spanish is as bad as mine. And the coupons he gave me saved me a few Euro too.

If you are a person that likes to get to know a country when you travel and have never woken up in a strange place that you felt completely at home in, then I can’t recommend Rainbow Valley Lodge enough.”
If you want a five star resort then look elsewhere. I happen to look for value and this place provided it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We stayed in the upper level room and the views are wonderful (much better choice than the other options). This little place is set off the main strip which is nice because Monteverde can feel a little like a college town at times...the room was basic and furnished simply but had all the amenities needed including your own kitchenette on the glass surrounded balcony. In the morning we were greeted by a family of about 20 coatis with babies coming up and climbing the trees eating the fruit - was wonderful! Rolf offers excellent service and is very welcoming. Basic accommodation but well worth it for the views, wildlife, service and privacy...not to mention the incredibly reasonable rates!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We absolutely loved staying at the Rainbow Valley Lodge. Rolf was most helpful in setting up activities. He even brought us some bananas to share with the white faced monkeys the afternoon that they came to visit. We were in the upstairs apartment, and the view was the most amazing of the whole trip. Although this is outside of the main "town" of Santa Elena, it was perfect! The town can be quite noisy, but Rainbow Valley Lodge felt like you were in the middle of nowhere, and town was a simple 10 minute walk, or short taxi ride away.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We stayed at the Rainbow Valley Lodge last summer, and it turned out to be our favorite hotel of the entire stay. With 2 teenage daughters, we rented both the upstairs and downstairs rooms: everything was spotlessly clean, with lovely grounds and lots of quiet and privacy. Rolf, the owner, was stellar in communicating with us both before and during our trip- he helped us with all necessary arrangements and also with other more general Costa Rica questions.

We enjoyed the short- 10 minute- walk into town. It was an easy stroll, and especially pleasant after dinner to walk off the meal and return to the peace of our lodgings. Also, we liked picking up some fruit and yogurt and eggs and preparing them for breakfast in the room's kitchen area.

Rolf had asked us to pick up some Nicorette for him here in the States, where its cheaper, and when we settled up our bill at the end of our stay he actually credited me a bit more than what I had paid. (**Rolf, hope you're still successful in quitting smoking- we'd like to see you when we make it back there someday!**) He also let me use his computer to check my email, and had great recommendations for restaurants, activities, transportation, etc. He is scrupulously honest and fair, and you won't find a better host or lovelier rooms to relax in.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
#1 of 21 in Monteverde
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,290 reviews

Been to Rainbow Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!