We were in San Jose and headed for Monteverde. I went online to check out hotels on the mountain and was searching for a place to stay that would be very close to nature, quiet and inexpensive.
I went online and found Rainbow Valley Lodge. It appeared to be just what I was looking for but for some reason didnt make a reservation.
We headed up the mountain and just before reaching Santa Elena town noticed the sign for Rainbow Valley Lodge. Since it had been so long since our last visit there we drove on into Santa Elena just to see the town again. We saw some other hotels but they were so big and seemed so impersonal......we turned around and went back to Rainbow Valley Lodge and are glad that we did.
We spoke to the owner Rolf, who is a super nice guy and though we would have preferred the upper room (it was already occupied) we stayed in the lower room for almost 2 weeks.
Rolf was very attentive and truly went "the extra mile" to make our stay there as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
The room was very clean, tastefully decorated and right on the edge of the jungle. We had capuchin monkeys in the trees just 10 feet from our front door and the Coati's would come fairly regularly as well. There are many guayaba (guava) trees around the lodge which the monkeys and coati's love to eat.
The grounds are nicely landscaped and maintaned and the rooms are down a driveway a good way from the main road so its very very private and tranquil.
There are literally hundreds of books available in the office if you need something to read and Rolf is happy to loan them out.
Another nice thing is that you can also book tours and travel at the lodge so if you're not sure what to do Rolf can give you ideas. He's gone on alot of the local tours and attractions so based on what you want is able to suggest things that you'll enjoy.
When we were there we saw rainbows almost every morning.
Its got to be the best deal in town and we would definitely stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde is close to the town of Santa Elena, about 15 minutes walking or 3 minutes in a vehicle. With only eight rooms and no neighbors close by you can enjoy peace and quiet in a forest setting. We have Wi-Fi signal in all rooms. Clean rooms with hot water, possible chance to see animals right outside the rooms and owner help with guides and activities. All rooms have coffeemaker and Monteverde coffee plus small refrigerator. Parking near the rooms. Prices compare very favorably to other accommodations in Monteverde. We are not 5 star so please do not expect total luxury! We hope to see you here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Rainbow Valley Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rainbow Valley Hotel Santa Elena
- Rainbow Valley Lodge Monteverde, Costa Rica - Santa Elena