Hotel Riu Helios Bay
    TripAdvisor
    Dom Barbov(Obzor)
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    All reviewsbar staffgreat holidaysunny beachevening entertainmentanimation teamplenty of choicethomson repasian restaurantkhans tentpizzasea viewfantastic hotelkaraoke barwelcome meetingfootball pitchkids clubwalk in shower
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 8 September 2013

We arrived early hours Tuesday 27/08/2013. We were picked up at the airport by mini bus . All four parties were for the same hotel so as promised in the Thompson brochure we were first drop off . Unlike the return journey when we went around sunny beach collecting several other parties but this is for thompsons to sort out not the hotel .
    From the first step into the hotel the staff could not do enough for you nothing was to much trouble and all was done with a smile. For a change the hotel was just as it looked in the brochure . The pool in nice and big but only 1.5m deep at the deep end hence all the no diving signs . The food was of a very good standard and most was cooked in front of you , always plenty of choice . Evening meals are on a two sitting basis , if you wish to change your sitting just ask. If you are a couple on your own or have no children in your party go for the late sitting so you miss the nightly entertainment as this was the only down point of the holiday. Having said that they are trying to entertain about 8 or 9 different nnationalities which can't be easy.
    Floor choice is very important here you need to be on floors 4,5, or 6 to get the best possible views , there are 4 lifts so no need to use the stairs if you don't want to . We had room 5126 which had a much larger balcony than most rooms do . So rooms 126 & 130 have large balconies as does 147 on any floor above the 2 nd . The towel were change every day and the rooms cleaned (spotless) .what ever toiletries of the hotel you used they were replaced every day . I'm told the hair dryers are good .The is a bar open from 10:00-00:00 .we had a really great time there are more British guests than I expected from other reviews so we had entry of people to talk to. Thanks Glen & Gwen.
    Outside of the hotel there more shops and bars than expected as long as you are prepared to walk about 10- 15 min . Obzor has some nice cheap restaurants and bars so look down the side streets no just the main square. Would we go back yes . If you are young and after night life this is not the place for you there are a few night clubs but not many 2 or 3 . If you have young kids 4 -11 this is a great place they have 2 parks with swings, slide and much more. I'm not sure that teenagers would find enough to do.So over all a really nice place and nice people you don't get hassled here just a smile. I can't end with mentioning the rep Barney he does a walk around the village at no cost don't miss this it is worth a 2 hour stroll with a stop for free pizza and some shots of local firewater . He is one of the best reps we have had.

• Stayed: August 2013
    3  Thank Beerman63
    Reviewed 6 September 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week break at the Helios Bay. The weather was superb, 30 degrees every day with the exception of the last 2 days. The hotel is very nice, it is clean, comfortable and spacious. The only negative about the hotel were the staff we thought. We did have a lovely time over the 2 weeks and everything was good, but nothing stood out as great. We certainly are not complaining about the hotel, but felt very much that they have a facility and an opportunity to make the difference between good and great and they don't seem to take it. The bedroom sizes are superb and nearly all of them have a fantastic view over the sea and pool, just be careful not to get a room overlooking the football pitch the other side as that is not a very nice view. It was our first time to Bulgaria and have heard from any people that it is the next up and coming place for tourism. I think it absolutely could be but the people who live there need to sort their attitudes out a bit. Majority of staff in the hotel as well as people in Obzor centre always looked totally miserable and almost as if they had had enough. It might be the difference in cultures but I didn't feel that the service element was there at all, both in the hotel and outside. They all do what they need to do and that is it. There was however an exception to this and that was the pool bar team, they were always cheerful, professional and had a smile for everyone. My daughter attended the kids club and had a great time, but the evening entertainment is shockingly bad. Bulgaria, the hotel and the entertainment is very orientated towards German. There was loads of choice for food and it is very good, but again, 2 weeks of all inclusive, starts to get a bit boring. We then decided to go out to Salt and Pepper for one evening on recommendation from Barney the Rep and also trip advisor, I really wouldn't bother. the food is actually a lot better in the hotel and the service again was shocking. if you order a starter, main and dessert, you are likely to get it all served at the same time. If the food is ready in the kitchen, it gets plonked down on your table, even if you are not finished. Stay in the hotel to eat, would be my recommendation. Obzor is very quiet which was fine for us, as we wanted a lazy by the pool and the beach holiday, but if the weather is not on your side, then there is not a lot to do. All the shops seem to sell the same thing and that is fake branded clothes. I did buy a sports top, washed it when I got home and the adidas branding has partly come off in the wash (could be my washing!) There are a number of reviews already speaking very highly about Barney the rep, I didn't rate him at all. I thought he was miserable and normally no where to be seen or found. Again, probably just our individual experience. The day time entertainment was ok but the main person to stand out was Felix. He was brilliant and is responsible for sports. He was into everything and a really good, fun, energetic guy. The pool and the beach are superb, best I have experienced on holiday. Would recommend just for that. Would we go back - probably not, it was a good holiday but it had the potential to be great and the people let that down a bit.

Room Tip: Just be careful of the lifts, there are not enough lifts at peak times so we ended up using the stairs a lot of the time as there were too many people using the lifts, so if you don't like climbing too man stairs, ask for a lower floor. the hotel has 6 floors in total.
    • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
    Reviewed 4 September 2013

Exccelent experience, I can compare it to the holidays i had in Turkey, in all inclusive hotes.
    I will deffinately go again!!! I made the reservation for a superior double room, but when we got there, the room was not ready, and they gave us an appartment, with no extra money.

Room Tip: If you are not sattisfied with your room, the staff at the reception are more then happy to help you.
    • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
    1  Thank lacrisel
    Reviewed 26 August 2013

Got here a week ago in the early hours of the morning where we were made very welcome and hosted well. First time Thomson all inclusive and after this experience I probably won't go back. The hotel was kept in good clean order and the rooms were cleaned daily to a high standard. Food for all 3 meal timings and the snacks were plentiful and tasted great. Staff were always pleasant and well presented to a high standard, very friendly even at the busier times of the day. Pool was cleaned twice a day and kept too a high standard, no problems with getting a place in the morning by the pool as long as you weren't to late getting there. The beach was so close that you're could go from the pool to the sea in 30 seconds and not be phased. The comments on the children running around at meal timings are not true as even the young generation like to get there own food. One suggestion to try and get a pool view as the opposite direction will be looking at the sea but also the fair and road. We have enjoyed and still in the lobby of the hotel waiting to go tonight. Hope you enjoy

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
    3  Thank Jay O
    Reviewed 19 August 2013

Visited this hotel with a friend in early August and had the most fantastic holiday. The hotel is very welcoming, with complimentary cocktails on arrival.... even at 3.30am!!! The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean. The food has good variety and there is always something to choose to suit most people's palettes. There are always plenty of places to sit, but we found if you get down to the pool after 9am you struggled to get a sunbed. They give you pool towels... try and get a green one, as they are larger and fit the sunbed. The annimation team are fantastic and there was plenty to do. I tried the aqua aerobics at 11.30am and enjoyed it. We attended the evening shows which are an interesting experience, but enjoyable nevertheless! We also used the spa facility, I had a back massage and indian head massage which lasted an hour andcost about £25. It was lovely and relaxing. Barney is a good rep and you must go on his free resort ramble as he shows you around the area. There is a fun fair next to the hotel, with rides costing 3lev ( around £1.50) and a mini golf course. The beach is stunning and sunbeds and parasols are free to hotel guests. Obzor is a lovely resort, with plenty of little stores and a pretty square. It is not as commercialized as other resorts I have been to, but I prefer this. All in all I would recommend this hotel to both families, groups of friends and couples.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends