“What a lovely week!”

Hotel Riu Helios Bay
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Obzor
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Myself and a friend stayed at this hotel the first week in July. Having arrived in the early hours we were very tired so it was lovely to be checked in quickly. We were offered food if we were hungry but we just wanted to get to the room! On entering the room which was located on the 7th floor we weren't disappointed, it was very clean, comfortable and had a great view! For the amount of time you stay in the room they are more than adequate.

The poolside was great, having stayed at hotels with a larger pool previously I thought we would struggle to get a sun bed but this was not the case, which the hotel full to capacity we could still have a nice little lay in and get beds at 9:30.

The food was great, different options everyday and lovely bread too! Unless you are extremely fussy you won't have a problem finding something you like!

The beach view was lovely but we never really went in the sea but there was a range of water activities available such as banana boating, paragliding, fishing and more!

The local area was easy to get around, none of the locals seem to bother you and you can look at what you like on your own accord. We did go on a two hour local tour with the fantastic rep Barney as this is really useful to get your bearings of the local area and where the nice restaurants are! We did head to a bar which was themed in the Flintstones which is great value!!

We didn't watch many of the hotel entertainment shows as we were early birds and preferred to get to sleep but the ones we did watch seemed OK! The staff really try hard to entertain the guests and one of the staff members is an amaxing singer!

We did Twp excursions whilst there, the first was Khans tent which I can't reccomemd enough! It was incredible! Lovely food and entertainment and well worth the money. We also did a Jeep safari which h was fun, just be aware its very bumpy! I wouldnt reccomend it to people with back problems!

Overall it was a lovely holiday and I wouldn't hesitate to return! For all those recent reviews discussing sickness and diahorrea please take in to consideration the river adjacent to the hotel is nothing to do with the hotel and the staff would endaveour to assist anyone with such illnesses. If caused by the river this should bear no fault on the hotel itself. Water is free from reception, just make sure you keep stocked up, I'm normally the one to get I'll on holidays but Bulgaria is the first place I've been too and not had any problems!

Thank you Riu Helios Bay for a lovely holiday!

Room Tip: I would suggest higher floor for the better views! Please have moaned on here about the lifts but I...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

To start with the transfer from the airport to the hotel was very long however upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted with drinks and light snacks, fresh bottled water and very helpful reception staff given it was early hours of the morning. Our hotel room was a family room on the 3rd floor with lots of space and large balcony with a separate bedroom for the children. The room was spotless and have to say Rila our cleaner was fantastic. She along with many other staff at the hotel worked so hard and was very accomodating when our children became sick. Like other reviews there were quite a few sick people children especially. My own children became sick however we pushed the fluids and gave a bland diet, stayed in our room only asking for general advice from the onsite Dr based at the hotel .24hrs later the children were back to their normal selves however we restricted the access to the sea as the sickness appeared after a day on the beach following a storm previously that week. The restaurants were clean with hand sanitation as you walked in, food was repetitive but nice enough. we ate out a few times in the square for a change which was inexpensive. The hotel extremely clean, entertainment team were lovely although the shows during the first week were boring they did improve on the 2nd week. My children did venture into the kids club where they were treated well although the english language of the staff was not brilliant so at times my children did not always understand what was going on. The grumpiest people in the hotel were the lifeguards, dont think they cracked a smile once. We met some lovely families during our stay however towards the end of our stay we did have a disagreement with some Bulgarian holidaymakers at the hotel which in my view was not handled appropriately by the bar staff thankfully this was our last night at the hotel. We cant thank everyone enough for their help throughout our stay. A lovely holiday but would not visit Bulgaria again. Would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to staying in many other riu hotels. Many thanks to the Manager for all of his help with our queries, a little disappointed with Barney with the untruths of the number of illnesses at the hotel he claimed only 2 other people reported illness although I knew of several poorly adults and children. The only trip we went on was to the water park at Nessebar. A fantastic family day out

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank looplooMidlands
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We were there for 2 weeks in July. It was our 4th Riu so we had a pretty good idea of what to expect. The hotel is very nice, the staff very helpful and friendly and the food excellent within the budget.
Within 24 hours of arrival our son went down with some form of vomitting bug + diarrhoea. Being true Brits we tried to deal with it ourselves and got medication from the pharmacy. He appeared to recover but 2 days later had a relapse. At this point we called the doctor.
He came quickly and appeared very competent. His English is limited but adequate. He advised a drip to rehydrate and get other medicines into our boy. This we agreed to. His office is in the hotel so we went there for treatment. I was also in discussion with a friend who is a consultant paediatrician in London who confirmed the proposed treatment regime. While we were waiting for the 1st drip to complete a staff member came in with the same problem.
To cut a long story short our son required treatment on and off for about 7 days. Every time we were at the doctor's up to 3 other children were there with the same problem and the rep (Barney) reported that he had had up to 60 cases at any one time the previous season.
D & V is endemic at this hotel.
The source is uncertain but probably from a small river that enters the sea next to the hotel and the current carries the outflow along the beach in front of the hotel. This may then get carried into the hotel grounds (toilets etc.) and pools which get contaminated. I saw a child vomit at pool side. Part of the problem is a lack of reporting. Many people do not tell the rep that they have seen the doctor or, if they do, fill out a formal report. Without this the travel companies have no official statistics.
If you go to this hotel do be aware of the problem and unless you can get your child to drink up to 2+ litres of water a day do seek medical help very quickly. The style of treatment is different to the UK but appropriate and the doctor we had knows his stuff. Do use the hand washing facilities in the restaurants, do wear footwear when going to the toilets, etc., be aware of the beach & do report illness to the rep.
My partner went down with it on our last day. Adults can get it too but are more resilient.
Don't forget your travel insurance!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was our first time going on holiday to an all inclusive hotel. The hotel itself was very clean. Staff always washing floors, clearing tables and tiding up. We found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Our room was on the 4th floor and had a really good view of the pool and beach.

While there was also a good selection of food at all the meals, I did get a bit fed up with it. My husband likes all the cheeses and hams etc that are served at both breakfast and lunch time. His main complaint that soup was not really hot and they all tasted the same While you can see the the chefs cooking the food it is all left for so long on the hot plates, and there for doesn't taste like freshly cooked food. Also all the fish dishes where full of bones

The pool area was also very clean and had loads of sunbeds, although some people expected to save beds and the pool as well as the beach!! Very unfair to others. The beach is a sandy on with life guards and although the red flag was out a few days we enjoyed the water which was not cold at all.

There was red and white wine and beer at lunch and dinner as well as beer, and at the bar any drink you wanted, my only complaint here is that I feel the vodka (cant say for other spirits as I didnt drink them) was watered down. This is because even with large amounts in your glass, I never once felt a buzz from them

We did two trips with the rep, and found them expensive and not really worth it. We went to the Khans tent for dinner and entertainment. The meal was good - 3 courses and a bottle of wine each. However, having been there before we felt the number of acts had been reduced. So if you have never been before you would likely enjoy it but at 99 lv per person (about £45.00) if you have already been i would give it a miss.

Our 2nd trip was called a cruise and visit to Nessebar. We found out that instead of going on cruise to Nessebar we went by coach. The boat then went out about 1 mile, stopped for 10 min, turned round came back and served lunch. We then had a few hours in Nessebar and back to coach. Not my idea of a cruise and would not pay 79lv (about £35.00) each to do it again.

We did enjoy our holiday and could not complain about our room/bathroom, or how clean it all was, but not sure all inclusive is for me. maybe just now used to it as we always go bed & breakfast and eat out at different places each night.

Room Tip: All rooms have a seaview as far as I know. Could not give any tips as was only in the one room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BelfastAudrey
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've just returned from a week at this hotel, with 4 days of illness.

The hotel is lovely, the animation team are fantastic - young and full of energy. However, there was an illness spreading around the hotel when we were there. This seems to be linked to the river that runs alongside the hotel, directly onto the beach in front of the hotel, and the cattle we observed watering in it. The night after a storm and the hotel was full of ill people. My 4 family members all experienced a night of severe sickness and diarrhoea and then a full day of recovery. However, mine lasted for 4 days. On returning to the UK , my doctor sent me to hospital to be checked out. The cryptosporidium parasite has been confirmed.

Barney the rep told me that only 2 others were ill the week of our stay, but having spoken to other ill holidaymakers the number was closer to 50 (and 50 the previous week too). The sickness doesn't last long (2 days of being ill) but it is violent and horrific, then you need to stay out of the sun, drink fluids and then only eat bland food. The doctor at the hotel came to my room and wanted to put my children on a drip. We refused, but many others didn't. If you are calling on the doctor, be sure to ask for prices first. The cost was not offered before consultation and he'll charge per patient, rather than per visit. A consultation (our one lasted 5 minutes and he looked at 2 children) was £100.

The hotel is in an idyllic location and the hotel staff are lovely, but our seven day holiday was ruined by all of us being ill over 4 days. The insistence of the hotel and rep that there wasn't a problem meant that we had no prior warning or strategy in place to deal with the illness. If you look through the reviews, you'll find this has happened before. I read them before I went, but thought they were isolated cases. I wish that I hadn't booked this holiday.

I feel it's best you're aware of the possibility of illness before you leave and prepare yourself with rehydration products from the UK.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Caroline S
Reviewed 27 July 2014

we returned to this hotel in May this year after previously staying here in September 2012 when we
had a really great holiday.Nothing changed our opinion this time as the hotel again delivered the
high standard we experienced on our first visit.The hotel was kept beautifully clean as were our
bedroom and bathroom.The food was excellent with plenty of choice both hot and cold buffet with enough choice for everyones taste.The pool area had plenty sunbeds and a nice bar area.
The entertainments team organized various activities throughout the day including plenty for the kids.In the evening they put on a different show each night but we have to admit some were not to
everyones taste .We definetly would recommend the Riu Helios for a great holiday..

Room Tip: high floor pool and seaview morning sun. great sunrises
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oscar040
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Wanted a cheap holiday and had stopped in Riu hotels before. A great difference in 5* and 4* which I found a bit disconcerting initially. However this hotel is a gem. Room was large and clean, bed comfortable and although there was no bath the walkin shower was very good, unlike most hotels. Beachfront location excellent and there were always sunbeds available both round the pool and on the beach. The staff are friendly and efficient throughout the hotel. Food was not as varied as previous Riu hotels we have stopped in but the quality was good enough to compensate for this. As a couple we sometimes found the undisciplined behaviour of the children on the later dining sitting disruptive and perhaps the management need to look at this. The town is a short walk away and typical tourist shops, bars and restaurants BUT no one hassled you which was refreshing. A special mention to House whose staff went out of their way to find coverage of the British GP in English for us and the pizza was delicious. A recommended restaurant. The trip to Nessebar was interesting but there was a lot of standing about in hot weather and the trip to the wine tasting was the typical selling experience. Would have enjoyed it more on a cooler day but the sun is what we went on holiday for so I shouldn't complain! Hotel entertainment is not something we indulge in but the animation team were excellent round the pool. They had innovative 'cocktail hour' games that were fun to watch and that anyone could join in with. Thought I had got away without the Mosquitos troubling me was bitten to death over the last two days. Repellents strongly recommended. The Spa was also excellent and the staff lovely. Had several excellent treatments. All in all an excellent hotel which we will return to

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sue D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Obzor
Obzor Beach Resort
#14 of 18 in Obzor
Sol Luna Bay
Sol Luna Bay
#2 of 18 in Obzor

Been to Hotel Riu Helios Bay? Share your experiences!