“Clean apartment terrible host”
Review of House Tina

House Tina
Ranked #1 of 16 Grabovac B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Was rather confused the directions to the house as I wasn't driving to house Tina, but bus from Zagreb. I emailed the host and ask for directions, she told me to head to plitvice lakes before heading to the apartment, I told her I have luggages so it will be good if I can leave my luggages first, she didn't reply and I emailed again to ask for the bus stop, she didn't reply again. Luckily I managed to find the stop grobavac motel (5 mins from house Tina), basically any bus that goes to plitvice lakes will pass by the stop so u have to tell the driver early. Went there and she told us there was an overbooking (second time happening to me on the trip), fine I told her its ok since the house is just beside. There isn't wifi and mountain view that I paid for, I didn't complain as her daughter offered to drive me to plitvice lakes (5 mins away). Before leaving the host asked if I want to have BBQ at her place, offering me 15€ per person (what.. I can have dinner at that price for 3 person at any restaurants nearby), I declined. On the ride there I think the daughter's bf was there, his name is mila or something, he asked if we want a taxi back or something (the mom promised us a lift back) at a price of 5€ per person and the driver is his friend, he kept insisting we should take it etc, we took his number and told him if we want the taxi ill text him, he seemed really unhappy, anyway the bus back is only 2 € and it's 5 mins why should I cab right? Oh yes he promised to check for me the bus to zadar the next morning. The lakes were good and we managed to hitch a ride from the locals working at the lakes and had dinner/beers together. Went back to house Tina to make payment, the guy asked how did I get back I told him I got a free ride back he raised his eyebrows and gave the "ok..." Face. So I asked him what time is the bus tomorrow to zadar, he say he will check now (10pm) zz. He told us we should take his friend's cab, 100€. (Kidding me bro how many times you and your family wanna fleece us?). We declined and he say the bus is at 1015. I decided not to trust him and went to the information at 9.15am and was told the bus is at 930 or 1045 (why am I not surprised he's wrong). The whole stay was just bad, every potential moment they try to get our money at unreasonable prices.

Pros: the neighbor house is decent, beds and toilets are clean with ac. No wifi and mountain view which I paid for though.

Would recommend others to book other houses if they intend to visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Superfrank88
HouseTina, Owner at House Tina, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Pei Ying,

Please accept my apologies once again – the overbooking was our fault and you have every right to be angry.

However, we did try to minimize the damage and found alternative accommodation for you in our neighbour’s house. Let me remind you that the other room was higher category than ours, at the same price.

As you’d arrived by bus and we are 10 km away from Plitvice Lakes National Park, we offered free transfer to the park and back, as we always do for our guests who don’t travel by car.

I also gave you my telephone number so you could call us after the tour. You never called, and we were not able to pick you up and take you back to Grabovac. I must admit I don’t understand your anger regarding the transport and our services.

Kindest regards,

House Tina

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The reviews for this property set my expectations fairly high, and, while there were some decent parts, I don't think I'd stay here again.

To start with the good parts: The property was attractive, clean, and had a scenic backdrop. The family that runs it was pleasant to interact with, although they didn't particularly go out of their way to be very helpful (actually gave us a little misinformation when we asked about the park). The breakfast was adequate, but claims that it's a "good" breakfast seem like a stretch (bread and cereal with omelets on request... a piece of fruit would have be nice?). Wifi was functional and fast. It was - at most - a 10 minute drive to the park. It's set up well for guests to interact and get to know each other in the evenings. Affordable pricing.

For the not so good parts: The rooms and bathrooms were the smallest we had in Croatia. Our room lacked A/C. The linens and towels were rough. It was noisy in the evening (while I appreciate the social interaction, I didn't appreciate it being right outside my - open due to lack of A/C - window). Unable to accept credit cards.

I think it was a fairly decent stay for the money, but if I'm in the area again, I'd rather spend more and hopefully get a bit more.

Room Tip: I'd spring for the suites/cabins that were bigger, offered A/C, and were further away from the n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anokh P
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Maybe its beacause after reading all the reviews our expectations were a bit too high, but i wouldnt rate this accomodation as excellent or very good. It was clean, thats for sure, on the other hand, the last day of our stay they didnt bother cleaning our room any more and we had to go ask for toiletpaper for that last day and night.
The cabins have airco, but friends of us stayed in a room in the main house and they didnt and it was very very warm.
They offer drinks you can take out of the big fridge thats outside and at the end of your stay you can pay for those, they do charge restaurant prices though so it would be much better if they just put a mini fridge in the rooms/cabins. Thet dont mind it if you bring your own drinks if you have dinner at the house, but...we found the prices they charged for the twon times we had dinner and what we got for it too much. Especially if you compare them to what you pay at restaurants in croatie. Overal our stay was great,mostly because of the location close to the Plitvice Lakes.

Room Tip: if you go in summer, go for a cabin, those have airco
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank petravv
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We had a wonderful 2 night stay at this guest house.
It was very easy to find from the main road and has ample parking for cars.
The owners are very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. They provided us with dinner on both nights at a small extra charge (choice of goulash, BBQ meat or BBQ fish) Breakfast was included and was very good.
Our room had everything we needed but did not feature a balcony as expected and the fan was not quite an equal alternative to A/C.
All in all, it was excellent value for money and we would highly recommend this lovely yellow guest house to anyone planning on staying in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 17 July 2013

What I liked about the house is its surroundings. Beautiful nature, Very nice house . Our penthouse was very comfortable and big. They also had a swing and a seesaw which helps when you have kids, Breakfast is great, ham, cheese, eggs, cereals, fruits, tea , coffee, many jams.
The only thing I did not like too much is that you feel like you live with the owners, as when you want to go to your room, you enter through the main door and it opens up into their living room ect. Other than that we had a great time, it is a very good base for visiting the Lakes National Park.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

After a long drive from Slovenia we were exhausted and when we pulled in to House Tina the first of our senses to be tickled was the sense of something delicious being cooked! Yikes! We were hungry and hadn't changed to local currency yet....so imagine hearing the host say..."we are cooking a traditional goulash for our guests, would you like to join us?" Yikes! Are you kidding me? This was like total manna from heaven.....we had a delicious home-cooked dinner for a very reasonable fee....the topper was when the hosts brought out some whomping banana splits for dessert....but enough about food. (Wait-Wait---the breakfast is amazing!) The area is beautiful....the property is gorgeous...it's in the country and wonderfully maintained. The rooms, and the entire house, is spotless and everything is only a couple of years old and in pristine condition. I am a shower freak and this shower did not disappoint. The host, as was all the staff, was so helpful and accommodating. We only stayed one night but had we known how great this place was we would have stayed longer. Bonus.....House Tina is just a short drive from Plitvice NP which was our next stop.....so the location, in addition to being lovely, is super! Views from our balcony were spectacular and there were even a couple of horses romping around. Ran out of positive adjectives! Stay there! Great value!

Room Tip: They have a variety of room styles.....also the USA type KOA Kamping Kabins, which looked nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We booked this place in June but on arrival was told that they were overbooked so the owners took us over to their sister's place just next door which had no name. This place we stayed in seemed brand new, was very clean and comfortable and they provided us with 2 rooms (both had their own balconies and bathrooms) instead of the one cabin we had booked at House Tina that had four bunk beds. So in the end it worked out very well for us. The next morning we had breakfast at House Tina (excellent breakfast) and headed out to Plitvice Lakes.
There are quite a few of these little villas/inns that are close to Plitvice (a 10 minute drive and in a little area just off the crossroad/main roads) in a semi-suburban setting and very close to the restaurants on the main thoroughfare. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grabovac
2 mi away
#1 of 108 in Plitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Villa Verde
Plitvice Villa Verde
#2 of 108 in Plitvice Lakes National Park

Been to House Tina? Share your experiences!