“Unusual experience, but enjoyable nonetheless”
Review of Hotel Orphee

Hotel Orphee
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Plat
Andover, United Kingdom
“Unusual experience, but enjoyable nonetheless”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My trip was virtually a last-minute effort so I did not have much time to really explore the reviews of the hotel. Basically, Hotel Orphee is in the village of Plat and is about 20 mins drive from the airport via private transfer (I used 'Sun Transfers' who were fine). The hotel is surrounded by several other hotels, but some of them are still in ruin from the war! At first I was a bit alarmed by this, but once I knew more about the area and had started exploring, I was fascinated by the history of these hotels and the horrific looting that went on during the war.

Room: My room was okay, but despite its 'sea view status', I had a wall of huge trees in front of it, so I had no view at all! The room was small but clean, but be warned - the noise from the sea at night can be quite overwhelming, especially when the wind blows! Bathroom was fine, but the bath itself was tiny! And I am not a big person!

Restaurant: I had half-board status, but had to prove this on numerous occasions! The food was generally good and the variety diverse. Food was very European, which was a shame as they did not venture more into the local cuisine. The lady running the restaurant is pleasant and welcoming ("You're the best customers I've ever had" she will say - to everyone!). Sitting outside is pleasant when it's not windy, but be aware of the feral cats that live in the area. They can be quite brazen (but harmless). The waiters are often shoo-ing them away!

Hotel: The pool area is very pleasant and the bar's prices not too bad. The views over the sea in the evening are STUNNING! The deck chairs/umbrellas are a little tired but functional. The staff are generally polite, although I did find the dark-haired receptionist a little curt in her conversation. A smile costs nothing! There is a tiny store on-site, but it has very limited produce and is very expensive. The village doesn't offer much either, so a visit to the surrounding towns to get your own food is required. There are lots of little pathways so be prepared to get a bit lost on your first day! Unless you have a car (there's plenty of parking), you have to walk up the very steep hill to get to the main road where you can get a bus to the other towns/cities. A bus ride to Dubrovnik was about 15 kuna (£1.50) one way for a 30-min ride. The hotel offers a limited free shuttle to & from Dubrovnik, but book early to avoid disappointment.

Area: Nice to explore when sunny, with plenty of pebbled beaches, coastal walks and boat trips, but if it rains there is little to do, so bring music/books/tablet to keep you entertained. Nearby Cavtat (pronounced tsav-tat) is very pretty and well-worth a visit for its leisurely walks, colourful cafés and scenic vistas. Of course, wonderful Dubrovnik deserves at least two day-trips to see the major sights. Care-hire in Cavtat can easily (and affordably) take you into neighbouring Montenegro. Other villages along the coast (Mlini & Srebreno) are interesting, but getting to them is dicey if you walk as you can only get to them along the very busy coastal road. There are no pavements and the drivers are hellish! Get the bus instead!

As mentioned before the scars of the civil war are still very prominent. It is nothing to walk past a beautiful modern building only to see one in total ruin beside it pock-marked with bullet holes. The haunting 'Bay of Abandoned Hotels' in Kupari is fascinating! I managed to strike up a conversation with one of the concierges who has worked there for forty years and was deeply moved by her experiences of the area in the early 1990s.

I was not really prepared for what I experienced on this trip, but initial concerns aside, I thoroughly enjoyed it and, in retrospect, I would definitely visit here in again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the central part of the hotel with 'sea view' have a wall of massive trees in front...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank holmography

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Didn't do my homework properly and hadn't realised how far it was from the city. I had my own car so it was ok.

Rooms facing the sea are blocked by trees so not worth paying extra for.

Good variety of restaurants and bars in the evening. Standard breakfast ; nice pool with bar opened during the day. Most staff ok but some quite officious.

All in all, just ok

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank pearson_c1
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Our first impression of this hotel was not good as we arrived about 9pm and were left at a busy reception area full of people drinking and making a lot of noise ast the reception desk is next to the bar. We were then taken to the Hotel Orphee which has a reception but is rarely manned. We had a very lukewarm buffet meal with not much buffet. Our room was quite large and very clean, towels were a bit worn. However in the morning we awoke to a beautiful day and saw what a lovely area we were in. We had a side sea view with a balcony. Breakfast was OK but manic, plenty to eat and lots of seating outside. The views are amazing and there are paths to the sea, two beaches one with a small beach bar, the other with nothing but sun beds. We preferred the beach to the left looking at the sea, the sea has less rocks and less people probably because there are no amenities. Yes you do pay for the sunbeds but that is for all day and it is so peaceful with just the occasional boat sailing past. The pool is lovely, again with great views, the sunbeds are very squashed together, there is also a bar/restaurant. There is a mini mart for drinks etc although it is much cheaper to walk up the hill to the local mini mart where there is more choice with some cheap wine and you can shop with the locals. We ate at the taverna a lot because the food was better and the atmosphere a lot quieter. There is a jetty just along the beach where you can get a boat to Dubrovnik and Cavat and there are other trips available. You can also get the local bus which goes about every twenty minutes and we found very reliable. Overall we had a great stay, if you want busy this is not for you, try Cavat which has hotels and some night life. For what we paid the hotel was good value, it is only 3 star and that is what we got - a good location - a clean room - very friendly staff - food only OK.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 788moaa
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hotel Orphee, had a great relaxing holiday, although it was the last week of the holiday season there, we had a great time. it might have been quiet for some but just what we needed. the hotel is a little dated but that is part of the charm, The staff were very friendly and helpful, housekeeping was excellent the rooms was very clean. the settings relaxing and the pool was fantastic, its the best place to see the amazing sunsets. there's a local frequent bus service and a boat bus, both excellent, day trips was easy to book thru reception, the staff friendly and helpful. the restaurant was lovely food was good to excellent especially when you think what we paid for the holiday, half board. I can't remember the waiters name in the restaurant but he's a character and an asset to the hotel. as cat lovers my partner and myself loved the cats ,(I can understand if you don't like cats, them being a problem) there was to many. our room was on the second floor and had a great view, I'd just like to thank all the staff and Jet2 for a great holiday. we loved it and wish we could have stayed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank johnniebc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The hotel was good as a base for exploring Dubrovnik and the surrounding area. We got the local bus from the top of the hill most days which was fine though not that regular.

Room was clean and relatively comfortable. The views from the pool area were great.

The reason I've rated this average is with a bit of investment it could be a fantastic place but at the moment it feels unloved. The food in the restaurant was ok to poor and whilst reception and housekeeping staff were always friendly and helpful some of the restaurant/bar workers weren't. I also think having to pay for sun loungers on the beach should be advertised more clearly.

Our room was on the ground floor so didn't have a view (which was fine as we hadn't paid for one) but the hotel could maximise their assets by cutting back some of the foliage which would mean more rooms would have sea views.

The Kings restaurant up the hill from the hotel was fantastic and well worth a visit. We also went to Bosnia and to Montenegro on day trips through Viator which were well worth it.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa B
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

read some reveiws after booking some were iffy but need,nt have worried hotel spotless all the staff were brilliant freindly really helpfull they are all like one big family some have been there 40 years pool is really nice looking out to sea; the views in our room were quite good we had a side sea view, if the tall cypress trees that are all around the hotel were cut back or down to half their height the views would be spectacular. (i told them on my next visit im taking a chain saw lol) we stayed 2 weeks half board and i must say there was no repetitiveness that you sometimes find although there was a choice of beef pork chicken veal fish every night . it was always cooked in different ways . and you dont eat it all on one night so you can choose something different most nights the cakes were fabulous at evening meal. brekkie same most days , eggs streaky bacon continental sausage cereal fruit salad area again plenty of choice always hot and regularly topped up right up to closing times,
regilar shuttle bus up till sept then reduced service now which is only to be expected . quite a hill to walk for service bus which is cheap very quiet area no good for teens best suited for adults very peaceful area no discos ,easy enough to get about by boat taxis or buses which are regular
overall a very relaxing and fullfilled holiday in a stunning country with fabulous people WELL DONE TO ALL THE STAFF AT THE ORPHEE YOU SHOULD GIVE EACH OTHER A PAT ON THE BACK, you are brill.
ps and the shower pressure was amazing better than a power shower

Room Tip: prob c13,14,15 would have an unblocked view. rooms average size could do with more space such as dra...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hazel1956_13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I travelled to Croatia with Balkan Holidays (also excellent) and stayed half board at the Hotel Orphee. Travelling solo I was a little apprehensive, but I needn't have worried. I was allocated a room on top floor, with lovely sea view and the staff there were fantastic - very helpful, efficient and friendly. The food was pretty good, although a bit samey. I was only there a week, and would have probably wanted more variation if I'd stayed longer. There was plenty of choice though. Queues formed in the evening, so perhaps a different layout might have helped to avoid this. The hotel runs a shuttle bus to Dubrovnik for around £7 return, but this stopped at 5.30 pm. It would have been good to have had an evening shuttle running too. Bus fares were about £2.00 each way to Dubrovnik and they ran fairly frequently. There was a long walk up the road to catch the bus though - ok in the day, but not much fun on own late at night even though lit up and safe. Take advantage of the boats to Cavtat (lovely town) and Dubrovnik from the small hotel quay. Boats won't stop at Plat when sea choppy though.
I recommend seeing Dubrovnik also at night - lovely historic buildings lit up, and without the cruise ship crowds. I was lucky enough to be there for Bryan Ferry (free) Jazz concert, which was brilliant. The swimming pool at the hotel was fantastic. Cold sea water, but very refreshing and great sea view. Also swam in sea - but take shoes to swim in as pebbly beach made getting in and out of sea difficult!
I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is clean and comfortable, very good value, and remains unspoilt. Staff there by the way all speak excellent English, French and German.

Room Tip: The higher up the better for the view, and away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank fuwmj24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plat
Hotel Astarea
#2 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Villa Avantgarde
Villa Avantgarde
#5 of 6 in Mlini

Been to Hotel Orphee? Share your experiences!