“Outstanding Quite Normandy Vacation Cottage”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
Ivy House - Utah Beach Normandy
Brimfield, Massachusetts
“Outstanding Quite Normandy Vacation Cottage”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My wife and I decided on a 7 day vacation to Normandy to tour the WWII sites and also the other cultural goodies sprinkled about the area. We found Normandy beautiful with only 2 days of rain. Ivy House is conveniently located near many of the major sites. It is less than a Km from Utah Beach. The local baker comes in his van on Tuesday and Thursday in the morning to the house with fresh bread and goodies. Andy and Emma are excellent hosts and checked in on us to make sure all was well and to make sure we did not need anything. The cottage is clean, warm, comfortable and efficient. The kitchen was well stocked and well equiped. Good cable channels in English and other languages.They start you off with fresh milk, eggs and other basics so that when you arrive you are good to go. Andy had a pizza delivered one night when we got back late!! We would recomend this as a wonderful place to stay when touring the region. Thanks Andy, Emma, Jan, Simone, Stijn.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
French Settlement, la
Reviewed 27 October 2012

The Ivy House (cottage) was a real treat after our flight and the drive from Paris. It was just two old men, I and a co-worker visiting the Ivy House for 3 nights. Andy and his lovely wife Emma was waiting at the door for our arrival. The cottage was filled with all the essentials needed for snacks and coffee. We visited the grocery store and bought a few things for the next couple of nights. Andy offered to give us a Normandy tour and now I’m thinking maybe I should have taken him up on this... But, I knew my history and felt I could find what I wanted and to the most part, we did. It was just us two old men and we would have slowed Andy down too much. It was fun getting lost just to turn around and find something we wasn’t looking for. I would tell my buddy David “hey, I read about this” and then tell him all about what took place there. I wished we would have had more time to stay and visit, we would get up in the morning and head out and return at night. The morning we left we bought a bouquet of flowers and left it on the table, I hope Emma got them! I will travel back to Normandy and knowing the Ivy House is a great place to stay and the right price, what more can you ask.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kurt M
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We spent our autumn holiday in Ivy house with our 3 months old babyson. We had an excellent stay here! Received a very warm welcome from Andy and Emma. A babycot and bath were arranged, wow! Because it was Sunday and hardly no restaurant our shop was open, Andy arranged take away pizza. Nice service! Welcoe basket with some basics in food was also good. At least we had a breakfast!

We stayed in the Roosevelt cottage and everything was there for a nice, easy and quiet holiday. Clean, kitchen well equiped and a cosy living room with good tv and dvd player. We watched The longest day and Saving private ryan to come into the sphere of the sad but also brave history which lies in the surrounding. Utah beach on walking distance with a very interesting museum. St mere d'eglise is also nearby but you do need a car. We also visited omaha beach and surrounding and we went to Mont st michel, all doable by car. (Daytrips)

I can really recommend this place to everyone who would like to spend a relaxing holiday in a warm and cosy cottage from where you can explore the lovely region of Normandy!

Thanks Andy and Emma!

Jan, Simone and baby Stijn

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Simone S
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Ivy cottage is ideally situated for visiting the Normandy beaches (in particular the american beaches but the most distant beach is only an hour away on excellent roads).

We stayed for 4 nights in October, the self catering plus+ accommodation was perfect for our needs, traveling as a group of 3 guys we had both the Roosevelt and Hemmingway cottages both so comfortable and welcoming we wanted to stay..... In fact as previous reviewers have said is so peaceful its hard to actually leave the cottage for the days sight seeing.

We were greeted with a warm welcome from Andy, and got straight down to business about the tour scheduled for the next morning i.e. it was recommended we watched at least episode two of “Band of Brothers” since the events featured all happened locally. The next morning after breakfast the tour started, Andy's insight and attention to detail with his personal research really made the difference, we got so much detailed and most importantly “balanced” information about the landings and subsequent move inland. Note, Andy will tailor tours if there is something specific guests would like to see/know.

Andy's new venture should work very nicely with the cottages and tours i.e. The Occupation museum in Sainte Marie Du Mont, we had a private viewing (it was closed), this will soon change once the redecorating is complete.

Andy and Emma deserve to succeed with all the hard work and attention to detail they put in to make our stay with them so memorable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tony W
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 October 2012

My parents, wife and I stayed at Ivy House for four days in September. The biggest reason we had come to Normandy was to see D-Day related sites. Fortunately, we found Ivy House conveniently (really, ideally) located only a short walk from Utah Beach and the museum there and an easy drive to the Omaha Beach area. My dad and I walked to the beach every morning or evening when we were staying there. We enjoyed meeting Andy and Emma and their boys - - they live just adjacent to the cottage where we stayed. The weather was cool and the heat was not yet on in our cottage, but we contacted Andy and he immediately came over and took care of turning on the heat. The Barton cottage includes a kitchen, and Andy and Emma had left a very nice welcome basket for us including coffee, eggs, etc. My wife was particularly impressed with having lots of really hot water for her morning showers! Overall, we were impressed with the Barton Cottage, as well as the Sutherland family, and we would certainly stay there again when we visit Normandy. We do not have any children but there is a play area near the cottage so it would also seem to be particularly well suited for families with young kids.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MizzouRulz
Dunstable, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Upon our arrival at Ivy House we felt instantly welcome! There is an air of peacefulness and tranquility which was an added bonus after leaving England for a 'break'. A warm welcome from Andy and family, the added touch of, milk, bread, and other essentials was very much appreciated after our long journey...

Andy Offered us a 'tour' which we took up! Prior to visiting Normandy my Second World War history was limited..but after listening to Andy my interest was way beyond I could have imagined..the stories felt so real. His passion and enthusiasm was second to none...Do not miss out he is excellent!
In addition, the food, places I.e Bayeux were outstanding...This trip will stay with me forever and I feel privileged to pay my respects to all the men that lost their lives during the D Day landings.

I will be back, Thank you both, Denise Coates & Guests

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise C
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Had a fantastic week at Ivy House, due to work load I have not been away for a proper break for 3 years, well Ivy house was just what I needed. Set in a beautiful rural setting but still close enough to all the sights that makes Normandy such a great place.
After a very long day we finally arrived to be greeted by Andy with a big smile and a warm hand shake, the cottage was very comfortable and homely and was well stocked with all we needed for a nice cupa and a meal which was fantastic and saved me trip to the supermarket on our first day.
The cottage had english tv and wi-fi to keep a teenage daughter online and able to keep in-touch with twitter and facebook.
All in all could not recommend anywhere better than Ivy House for the perfect holiday for doing as much or as little as you like.
I would definitely go back.

Stewart Dougherty, Suffolk

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Stewart D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
Le Grand Hard
#2 of 10 in Sainte-Mere-Eglise
Chateau de l'Isle-Marie
Chateau de l'Isle-Marie
#1 of 2 in Picauville

Been to Ivy House - Utah Beach Normandy? Share your experiences!