Three co-workers and I stayed here while visiting Normandy ahead of a conference in Paris. It was the week of the 70th anniversary of D-Day, and Le Grand Hard was able to accommodate us even though we booked fairly late.
This place is fantastic. The owners are a lovely couple from the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, and they speak several languages (English, French, and Dutch for sure, and I think also some German). They are very friendly and take time to talk to each guest. This place is located a few kilometers outside Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, between the village center and Utah Beach. It is probably too far to walk to either the village center or Utah Beach except for the most intrepid people, but it is easily done by bicycle (although it is a little hilly). Happily, Le Grand Hard rents bicycles. Additionally, it is very close to Sainte-Mere-Eglise. The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring the western end of the D-Day sites.
The hotel itself is a beautiful country manor with the buildings arranged around a central courtyard. The rooms are simple and in the style of the manor, so if you are looking for an ultra-modern room with lots of amenities, this is not the place for you. I don't think my room even had a TV, which was fine because I wasn't there to watch TV. Enjoying a few beers outside at a courtyard table, and then having a fine meal in the restaurant, were the best parts of the experience. Being away from the village center, it is exceptionally quiet, so you will enjoy a good night's sleep.
If and when I am in the area again, I will stay here again without question.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming hotel***-restaurant in a completely renovated old farm, close to Utah Beach and in the stunning nature parc. All our rooms have a private bathroom. A nice, warm atmosphere is welcoming you for an excellent stay in Normandy. Our restaurant is at your disposal for a wonderful menu of the market or you can eat a la carte. Bicycle and mountainbike renting and couch trips can be done. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Le Grand Hard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Grand Hard Hotel Ste.-Marie-Du-Mont
- Le Grand Hard Normandy, France