“Too many faults for a property pretending four stars”

Domaine De Clairefontaine
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We choose this hotel to accomodate us during the jazz festival in Vienne, but have been quite dissapointed.

The hotel has two buildings: an older one with some character and charm, and a newer one. We stayed in the newer one.
I would not comment much about the architecture and design of the new building which I found boring, and very mixed (the bathrooms are very rustic, while the rest of the building is quite neutral in the design of its common areas and exterior facades).

What I really disliked was that they did not come to do the cleaning for 3 days in the row (meaning to change the garbage bins, and refill the toilet papers, etc.). Of course no vacuum cleaning. And they would have kept like that if not notified! Of course, the eceptionist blamed the cleaning women, but it shows no controlling and management.
Also, on the stairs it was a bad smell that continued until I personnaly opend the window as no one from the hotel personnel did.
Finally, the street noise was quite strong,

Regarding breakfast, there was another strange habitt at this hotel: they opened at 7:00 AM and closed the breakfast at 9:30 AM, which I found really strange as this is a hotel for people who are in holiday, so they could be allowed to have a late breakfast, say until 11:00 AM (as all other hotels that we visited had late breakfast).

In one of the evenings we had dinner at their restaurant (rated with one Michelin star). We have not been impressed by the food if compared to other one star Michelin restaurants, but service was ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Wonderful hotel.
I arrived very late due to flight problems.
Staff were superb organising me food even thought the restaurant was closed.
I was made to feel special and relaxed after a difficult day.
Rooms large and very clean - great bathroom.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. The ambiance of the place is great. Food and service was outstanding. We arrived late, but the staff was ready with refreshments, red wine, cheeses and other treats, all without asking. While enjoying our refreshments they arranged our rooms and took our luggage without us being aware of anything. The breakfast buffet and service was great, but you need to take your time to enjoy all the local treats that are offered. The kitchen from what I understand uses local produce and makes all its dishes from scratch. The grounds are great to stroll around in. I even took a nice run in the surrounding area. Feels safe. We enjoyed the food market on the Saturday in Vienne, I highly recommend it for food lovers. Vienne is pretty little town and has some real nice restaurants and shops. Prices are so much more affordable here than for example in Paris. Taxi service was great. Why only one Michelin star? Should be two. I have dined at several Michelin restaurants and Mr. Girardons restaurant in my opinion should be considered for another star. The sommelier was very knowledgeable. Domaine De Clairfontaine gives a sense of family but with a touch of royalty.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I spent Valentines here whilst on a business trip & I loved every moment. The bathroom was HUGE as was the bath.

The meal we had in the resturant was my favourite of a week long trip. Would love to go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on our way down to St Tropez. Although the area is not that amazing, the hotel itself is really good and there is plenty of space to stroll around and enjoy the grounds. The room we had in the separate annexe was excellent with a huge bathroom with large shower cubicle and a massive bath. The room also had a good sized balcony.
The food in the restaurant was superb and the terrace was a great place to have dinner. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank GezThompson
Reviewed 19 July 2012

To me a very enjoyable stay, two nights in June 2012, in a very attractive room in the annexe, just paces away from the main building and in a delightful garden. But the real bonus was the restaurant, the best food in our whole 4 week trip, also fantastic staff who could not do enough for us. Unfortunately we were there on a Monday when the restaurant was closed so only ate there once, but I would love to go back for another meal. Adding to the pleasure were the cygnets on the little pond, zealously guarded by the parents.
I liked the room very much but for some reason my husband did not, I cannot understand why and he cannot really say why except that he did not like the "distressed" appearance of the furniture. However, the bathhroom was exceptionally spacious and there was a nice private terrace although due to the rain we were unable to use it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at this family-run property for 1 night whilst travelling through the Rhone Valley. We loved out stay. It was great value for money with lovely grounds.... swans and ducks on the pond and sweeping green lawns right in front of the hotel.

The staff were professional, the rooms (we were in the new section) well decorated, roomy and peaceful. By far the most memorable was the evening meal which we had in their Michelin 1 Star restaurant run by chef Philippe Girardon. It was a gastronomic feast and every bit was enjoyable as were the wonderful wines.

Was sorry to leave so soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chonas-l'Amballan
Le Beau Rivage
Hotel La Gabetiere
Hotel La Gabetiere
#1 of 2 in Pont-Eveque
Le Grand Hotel de la Poste

Been to Domaine De Clairefontaine? Share your experiences!