“Very dissapointed in this Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arina Sand Resort

Arina Sand Resort
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kokkini Hani
Perth, United Kingdom
“Very dissapointed in this Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked this Hotel based mainly on the reviews on trip advisor.....I came back yesterday and can't believe anyone who has ever been to a 4star Hotel would rate this Hotel as such.It's at best a 3 star...The main thing for me was the food..every breakfast lunch and evening meal had the same island of salad and another of breads.The hot food varied slightly from breakfast through to dinner but the choice was very poor.I very quickly started dreading meal times due to this but also due to the long queue's both to get into the dinning room and also for the hot food.The heat in the dinning room and wobbly tables were also beginning to feel like a major thing by the end of the week.
The day starts with your alarm going off before 8 otherwise you've had it for a lounger for the day.Your stress then starts mounting in case you don't make it for the start of meal times that's if your not already stressed by the aeroplane 's landing just over your head.We were not in the main Hotel and the road next to us was also very noisy.The whole place needs an update and a good painting inside and out.The cleaning Lady's were excellent on the positive side.

Room Tip: Go to a different Hotel.If not insist on a room in the main Hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Murphy-willis
Aquis_Quality_team, Manager at Arina Sand Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear guest

Our aim is to always offer our guests a great holiday experience and we are sorry you left disappointed by Aquis Arina Sand.

We take your comments about food variety on board and we apologise for not meeting your expectations. You can imagine that trying to cater for such vast number of clients from different nationalities is challenging.

Thank you for your positive feedback about our cleaning staff and also for the opportunity you give us to further improve the service to our valuable customers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I'm not one for writing reviews to be honest but I cannot complain at all with the holiday experience I had here. There were a few small things which were irritating such as not enough sun loungers but overall I wasn't bothered by it.

The rooms were adequate, again, nothing spectacular but nothing awful too. You get what you pay for though...

The staff were incredibly helpful and very friendly, they would always listen to any requests and we got a sense that they would go that extra mile for you. The two brothers behind the bar in the evenings were spectacular! They were so so friendly and put themselves out to make your holiday feel special and knew exactly what drinks we were having before I even got to say it to them (Whiskey Colaaa) Efharistó guys!!

The entertainment was actually not that bad but what made it fantastic was that the girls (two in particular, Anna and Azzura) were so friendly and would always put themselves out to come and talk to you even if they were busy themselves. What two lovely girls. You really do make the animation team what it is!

Overall a great place to relax and stay, if you are after a holiday break whereby you want to see parts of the country then this may not be for you, but for relaxing and staying within the complex then this is more than adeqaute.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Luke W
Aquis_Quality_team, Manager at Arina Sand Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for your positive feedback. We pay attention to all comments and we always try to meet our guests’ expectations.
I would like to thank you for your sincere feedback and the opportunity you give us to further improve the service we offer to our valuable customers
Orpington,Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Short version: Stayed here with my Sister 1 week middle of June.
Arrived late at night, was given ham roll and bottle of water - taken to our Bungalow - which we loved -right on the beach more or less next to the White Beach Bar -Happy Days.
Food was great, the Staff were Great - fresh linen every 2 days or so -fresh Towels every day -
Weather was superb, even had 1.5 days of windy weather but as we had the bungalow we were still able to bathe.
10 minute walk into town, some nice fish resturants aalong the way and gift shops(is thats your thing) Sam the Thompson rep was lovley, very pleasant and helpful. Couldnt moan about anything really.

If i was to be picky all I say is there was no Tea making facilities in the rooms, but hey hoe.
Nice relaxing holiday all in all.

We didnt watch any of the entertainment as we went out most evenings for a stroll, so i can't comment.

Room Tip: Request a for a Bungalow proir to booking
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dizzybird63
“Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive holiday experience at Aquis Arina Sand with TripAdvisor’s readers and we hope to welcome you to another Aquis hotel in the future”
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

pool lovely food disgusting chef gave me a lump of fat when I complained he said you must be English I complained to sam but went in one ear out the other. another couple complained he said your here now get on with it .drinks poor ,could not get away from the smoking cockroaches in the canteen well that's what it looks the photos on line don't match with what it really looks like,had a bath the plug came out so did all the bath water all over the bathroom floor I was wading up to my ankles, had bugs in my salad the staff could not care less. nothing to do outside we spent two weeks here it was awful. never told us we were on the flight path it was like heathrow airport ,what you see in the photos is not what you get, the bungalows full of cockroaches the toilets over flowed. never again

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kathleen w
Aquis_Quality_team, Guest Relations Manager at Arina Sand Resort, responded to this review, 21 October 2014
Dear Guest,
We regret that the Aquis Arina Sand did not live up to your expectations. Please note that every year we accommodate a thousand of guests who will vouch for our standards and hospitality & we are really astonished by the picture that you have been painted here by your review.

As far as the food concerns, please note that our guests consider our food quality a major issue and we are on top looking into it on daily basis. The comments raised about the food are very serious and will be certainly looked at and we reassure you that all issues are already thoroughly addressed internally with our F&B and the General Manager.
The Aquis Arina Sand has been renovated and refurbished the rooms and public areas of the hotel as needed. However, there are photographs of every room as well as of the hotel facilities on our website and they are true representations in any case. Therefore, our guests’ expectations should be met according to their category booked. We would be more than willing to assist with any query may required.
The comment that has mainly attracted our attention is over our staff professionalism. We always receive excellent feedback over each member’s performance and we are constantly, daily examining their efficiency. Certainly your comments is opposed to what our company’s value state and we reassure you that we will look into it further in order to examine whether there has been a lack of service and of course build an even stronger quality client service.
Each of our members’ staff is a brand ambassador of our company and we truly value their efforts.
We would welcome the opportunity to change your impressions of our hotel, if you did decided to have a future stay here.
Lincoln
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here at the end of June/beginning of July and first impressions were very good, however, we arrived after tea had finished and so were giving rather stale sandwiches instead! The rooms are of a good standard and this is the comfiest bed I've ever stayed in in a hotel abroad! The bathroom's also have a window which is a first and so means the rooms well ventilated. The rooms are clean, however, I do think the cleaning services need to be improved. On about night 3 we opened our wardrobe door to find a massive cockroach which was very off putting and after contacting reception and being told a cleaner would come to remove it, there was no sign of a cleaner all night which was annoying! Luckily we managed to remove it ourselves but would still have expected the cleaner to come! As for the food, I lived on pasta for a week and even this was cold. There is a large selection, however, I didn't find it very appetising and I'm not one to moan about food in hotels but I've had much better than this before! The pool bar does have food at lunch, however, again this was cold and not very good! A positive is the crepes, hotdogs and melon being served at 3 around the pool. A big negative for the hotel is the 'animation' team who are so very annoying! Don't go here if you want evening entertainment as it is very poor and just consists of a disco for the kids really and the best night was our first on the Friday which is their day off! The songs they dance to around the pool numerous times a day gets very tedious and really makes you want to go inside! The staff overall were friendly enough and I have no complaints about them. In terms of the location, it is really just a relaxing holiday in the hotel itself as kokkini hani is very run down and is not worth walking into and the same applies for heraklion and surrounding towns too to be honest, however, heraklion is best for tourist shopping etc. but don't expect a big day out from it. The bus was very easy to catch from outside the hotel and it is a regular service which is good! The beach and pool area are clean, however, a big negative for me was that Eastern European women like to bare all when sunbathing AND walking around which I don't like to see. I would go to a nudist beach if I wanted to see that! It was off putting, especially when eating and I really think rules need to be put in place regarding this. There are plenty of sunbeds as people are always leaving, however, sometimes during the day management come round putting notes on them because they've been left with a towel on but were simply in the pool so I don't know what they're trying to gain with that except just wasting paper! Overall I had a good holiday but I wouldn't say this is one of the best hotels I've stayed in abroad before, improvements could be made however it is of a good standard

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank emilyrh1997
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review of your stay at the Aquis Arina Sand. We regret that our hotel did not live up to your expectations.
We are continuously monitoring the feedback getting from our customers & the comments raised over the cleanliness of the rooms will be handed over to the housekeeping department for further investigation. We sincerely regret that there were unwanted visitors in your room. Please note that our property is located in a real green environment & rests assured that we take all measures to ensure that all places of the hotel are cleaned & secured by numerous of checks on daily basis. Our resort facilities and services are being run through and certified via health control checks continuously.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our room standards as well as the location.
Regarding your comments over our dining variety and selection, rest assured that all of your comments have been already addressed to our F&B director and have been thoroughly reviewed with the purpose of setting an even more advanced menu for season 2015.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Aquis Arina Sand for a future stay.
staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Travelled here with a friend at the end of June. Arrival was pretty hectic, we were given our room key and told that a member of staff would show us to our room. We were not told where the restaurant was or which way it was to the pool etc - not a major issue but some direction would have been nice. The man who was supposed to show us to our room was also showing another family to their room and so just left us in the reception area without asking us to follow or wait.. in the end we just showed ourselves to the room! This isn't something you would expect from a 4* hotel (which is what it was advertised as on the website we booked through). You are also given beach towel tokens, however this was not explained to us. We managed to get some beach towels but when we wanted to swap them (which you can do Tues, Thurs and Sat) we gave the receptionist our tokens and he basically had a go at us for not giving them to him earlier... was not expecting such poor service from reception.

We had booked a room with a sea view... we sort of had a sea view, but it was completely blocked by palm trees!! There was also a rubbish bag on our balcony and an empty sprite bottle. Other than that, the room and bathroom were very clean and we were impressed.

Meal times were extremely disorganised! On our first night we were told to wait for a table, only to see every unoccupied table was covered in dirty plates and cutlery. Eventually we were shown to a table. The food was pretty decent - I have looked at other reviews that say the food is disappointing, I can understand this if you are staying for 2 weeks but for a week it was fine. Other nights in the restaurant we were told to show ourselves to a table, which would have been fine but there were no clean tables anywhere! One night I asked one of the (very few) members of staff for some cutlery and she shouted at me for asking! Pretty rude.

We soon learned that if you wanted a relaxing meal at the hotel it was best to go at off peak times. For example, we went for breakfast at 10am and dinner at 9pm. This way you avoided some of the ruder guests who pushed in when you were clearly in the queue! We had our lunches at the pool snack bar - again we avoided peak times. I just think you shouldnt have to arrange your meals around times when the restaurant is too busy - it should be down to the hotel to ensure meal times are relaxed at all times for all guests. Another thing, there was not enough staff in the restaurant!

We didn't sit by the pool at all, we spent all our time on the beach. The beach was lovely and the sea was amazing! Half of our stay it was windy so the waves were fun to jump over; but other times it was just still, which proved great for snorkelling and swimming. There was an issue though! There were not enough sun beds on the beach with parasols. This meant we were up at 7am each morning and down to the beach by half past to ensure a sun bed (they were all gone by 8am). They say they will take away any of your stuff if you have tried to reserve a sun bed, but nobody was doing this and so there were towels on every sun bed with no people! We stayed on the beach until 10am which is when we went for breakfast.

The job of the animation team was to provide daily activities and evening entertainment. There was a board by the pool which showed the daily activity times, but they never came down to the beach to ask if we wanted to take part (the beach was 10m from the pool). The evening entertainment was shocking! They do 'talent' and 'variety' shows. One of these shows was literally two men doing impressions of a dog.. which was just embarrassing, they also did impressions of Japanese people which was very inappropriate.

In spite of the negative side above, we did have a brilliant holiday. The weather was great and we had a really relaxing week. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others who were after a 4* all inclusive, its more a 3* hotel in all honesty. If you go expecting a 3* you will be delighted!

Room Tip: 2210, 2211, 2214 all have a limited sea view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Awesome-xxx
Dear Guest,

Thank you for review of your stay at the Aquis Arina Sand.
Regarding the behaviour of our hotel’s staff, we have acknowledged your complaint; furthermore please be informed that we are already investigating this incident. We however need some time to find out whether there are staff members/trainees that are having this behaviour as each hotel department’s staff is supervised by respective shift Managers and up to now, no Manager has reported such a behaviour to the head Management of the hotel.
Our ultimate goal is to offer a quality holiday experience and reach to the needs of our guests in every single moment.
Management has reviewed your comments about the theme nights, evening entertainment, etc and we shall be taking action to improve our services .
We would be delighted to have the opportunity of welcoming you again to the Aquis Arina Sand to show you what changes have been implemented for the forthcoming season.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

The good things first, location, staff, ample sun beds

Now the bad things Rat on landing, cockroaches in room, outside decor very poor, only a 1 week menu, same cake for the whole 2 weeks, surrounding area derelict, evening entertainment poor alcholic drinks poor quality

would never return

Room Tip: the main building looks better than the rest we were in the blocks away from the main building where...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank whosit45
Dear Guest,
We regret that you did not enjoy your holiday experience at the Aquis Arina Sand and we would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss the problems you encountered with us when you were in the hotel.
The ultimate goal is to offer a quality holiday experience and reach to the needs of our guests in every single moment.

We believe that comments and criticisms are always of benefit to us, however we always prefer our guest to inform us of any dissatisfaction at time that this should occur , and not after departure, to enable us rectify the situation immediately.
You will always be welcomed by our staff to the Aquis Arina Sand if you decide to visit Crete for a future stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kokkini Hani
#5 of 178 in Hersonissos
Sunrise Village Hotel
Sunrise Village Hotel
#3 of 69 in Platanias

Been to Arina Sand Resort? Share your experiences!