My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks in the Ideal and Kokini Hani (our second visit to the Ideal because the first one was so enjoyable).
I can only say that I’m absolutely astonished at the previous negative review. I assume that we were there at the same time as AF – actually, almost certain because there was only one couple with children (presumably because the children in UK and Crete are still at school and wouldn’t be holidaying unless they were kept off so that their parents could have a holiday at a convenient time). I found that there were few (if any) Russians/East Europeans staying. Mostly UK, Dutch and German – all very happy and friendly (if you made the effort to communicate). I particularly remember one of the other guests teaching a young girl (child) how to dive in the pool (not quite complaining about splashes!).
I had no problem getting a kettle for the room – I asked if we could have one! No problem!
The reviewer, AF, is right to point out the growing number of Russians visiting Crete – this is particularly noticeable in Hersonissos – but not the responsibility of the Ideal.
The Ideal is a family run business and the staff (family members) are very warm friendly people who will sit with you and chat – if that’s what you wish (or leave you in peace if you prefer not to talk).
The barman – one of the sons – is called Pandelis (not Panda) and is very likeable young man. I think we sometimes forget that the staff in the Greek tourist business have to communicate with many different nationalities and are not necessarily fluent in a number of languages. If you want a good and humorous chat in English, George (another of the sons) is the man to meet!
Kokini Hani is a quiet little town - not dead, just resting peacefully. That’s why we chose to go there. When we first visited Crete over 25 years ago, we enjoyed the relaxed simplicity of the villages. However, it’s getting harder and harder to find resorts that haven’t gone brash! Kokini is quite a find.
With only a little effort you can find a range of charming tavernas – you may miss them because they won’t have somebody standing outside trying to entice you in or adverts for “Full English” all over the front! We managed to eat (actual Greek food – not pizza) in six different tavernas in Kokini.
The Ideal is a very good choice if you are looking for a family run place to stay; excellent choice of Greek food, clean, friendly and very child friendly – we were there during the school holidays last year (plenty of children) and we’re looking forward to the same again next year.
I hope that my review illustrates how the same place at the same time can be perceived so differently by different people.
Thank you Ideal – five stars!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideal hotel apartments offers a range of 25 tastefully decorated self-catering accommodation from family rooms to apartments.All apartments have two bedrooms, kitchen, lounge ,bathroom, WC, air conditioning and balcony over looking the pool or gardens and are equipped to a high standard with all necessary appliances. Cleaned daily and fresh bedding and towels provided. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK) and HRS so you can book your Ideal Hotel Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ideal Apartments Hotel Kokkini Hani
- Ideal Hotel Apartments Crete/Kokkini Hani