“Ideal by name, ideal by nature.”

Ideal Hotel Apartments
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed at the Ideal Apartments the first two weeks of July. Given the moderate price of our package we didn't have high expectations but Ideal was just one of many pleasant surprises.
Our apartment was directly above the taverna, at the front of the building, overlooking the road, which caused some trepidation, but we had two large terraces (so could usually get or avoid direct sun) and actually enjoyed sitting out, breakfasting, watching the world go by on the not-too-busy road. The rooms were very big, very clean and reasonably equipped (we bought cheap tea towels, a couple of glasses and knives to enhance our stay, and left them for the next occupants). Beds and shower room were all good and we felt very much at home. One negative point was the very real need at this time of the year for air-conditioning which added £100 to our two week stay. We tried doing without for a couple of days but it proved impossible.
Without exception all the staff, one big family, were friendly and helpful. Fluency in English varied but was never a problem. Given that the local beach wasn't great, the pool was a real gem. It was a perfect size, clean and welcoming, with free use of sunbeds and lilos, and we spent at least part of every day there. Brilliant.
The Ideal is situated nicely for bus links, a short walk to the very handy supermarket for us self caterers, and opposite a fantastic bakers (we tried a different bread almost every day) .
Kokkini Hani was a pleasant surprise. One guide book we’d read was pretty scathing about the place but it was a nice size and had a genuinely pleasant feel, fine for early morning or late night strolls and well equipped with enough shops and good tavernas to keep most people happy. Visits to Heraklion and Agios Nikolaus confirmed our lucky choice of resort.
The Ideal was an important part of a wonderful, relaxing two week stay. So, many thanks to them for all their efforts because they seemed to genuinely care that we should have a good time and perhaps return one day.
Thomsons weren't so good, seeming to care more about selling overpriced day trips than giving accurate information. If we do return, we will book with Ideal direct and get the bus (£1.50) from outside the airport. It’s easy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Brimble

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My mum(59) and myself (29) have just returned from our first stay at the Ideal hotel/apartments, our apartment was big, 2 balconies, good sized bathroom, bedroom and additional sleeping area and eating area, would sleep 4 adults no problem.

Pretty shocked by the previous review, i have never heard so much utter garbage - some people should really not travel outside there comfort zone as they are never happy!!!!

The ideal is ran by a local greek family, the mother maria could not be anymore helpful if she tried, her cooking was gorgeous and she always had a smile for you and made you feel so welcome, the bar/resturant is ran by her 3 sons, mainly George and Pandelis you are likely to be greeted warmly and served quickly by also there cousin ari is a freindly young waiter who will make you feel most welcome!
If you like pizza then you must try the amazing wood over homemade pizza's are they are top class!!! Zito the pizza man is the man!!!
The rooms were spotless, food was gorgeous, the staff made you feel so welcome and always made time to chat to you and help with with any requirements, we had a lovely holiday and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is considering a nice quiet beautiful resort!

The location is spot on, being situated on the main road in kokinni hani, a couple of minute walk to the gorgeous beaches.

All in all our 2 weeks in the ideal was fab and we would defo go back in a minute!!!!

Louise & Pat :)

Room Tip: If you have kids i would recommend the back rooms not the ones directly above the bar.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank loulouluvsit
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks in the Ideal and Kokini Hani (our second visit to the Ideal because the first one was so enjoyable).

I can only say that I’m absolutely astonished at the previous negative review. I assume that we were there at the same time as AF – actually, almost certain because there was only one couple with children (presumably because the children in UK and Crete are still at school and wouldn’t be holidaying unless they were kept off so that their parents could have a holiday at a convenient time). I found that there were few (if any) Russians/East Europeans staying. Mostly UK, Dutch and German – all very happy and friendly (if you made the effort to communicate). I particularly remember one of the other guests teaching a young girl (child) how to dive in the pool (not quite complaining about splashes!).

I had no problem getting a kettle for the room – I asked if we could have one! No problem!

The reviewer, AF, is right to point out the growing number of Russians visiting Crete – this is particularly noticeable in Hersonissos – but not the responsibility of the Ideal.

The Ideal is a family run business and the staff (family members) are very warm friendly people who will sit with you and chat – if that’s what you wish (or leave you in peace if you prefer not to talk).

The barman – one of the sons – is called Pandelis (not Panda) and is very likeable young man. I think we sometimes forget that the staff in the Greek tourist business have to communicate with many different nationalities and are not necessarily fluent in a number of languages. If you want a good and humorous chat in English, George (another of the sons) is the man to meet!

Kokini Hani is a quiet little town - not dead, just resting peacefully. That’s why we chose to go there. When we first visited Crete over 25 years ago, we enjoyed the relaxed simplicity of the villages. However, it’s getting harder and harder to find resorts that haven’t gone brash! Kokini is quite a find.

With only a little effort you can find a range of charming tavernas – you may miss them because they won’t have somebody standing outside trying to entice you in or adverts for “Full English” all over the front! We managed to eat (actual Greek food – not pizza) in six different tavernas in Kokini.

The Ideal is a very good choice if you are looking for a family run place to stay; excellent choice of Greek food, clean, friendly and very child friendly – we were there during the school holidays last year (plenty of children) and we’re looking forward to the same again next year.

I hope that my review illustrates how the same place at the same time can be perceived so differently by different people.

Thank you Ideal – five stars!

Room Tip: Ground if you don't like it too hot.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank 5left
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This is my first review on Trip Advisor. As an experienced Greek sunseeker of two dozen holidays both as part of a couple and with family, I felt I should give a very honest review as my family was very disappointed with the holiday. I booked this because I had never read such consistent and praiseworthy reviews before but my expectations were not at all lived up to. Dont get me wrong, this accomodation is OK, not sensational, but OK and I would not want to criticise unnecessarily. But it is nothing like as good as the reviews suggest and if you have kids, please think long and hard. It might be worth spending a bit more and going somewhere better.

There is no big effort from any of the family or staff to make you feel welcome. Just the usual kalimera. A young guy at the bar called Panda, whilst pleasant enough when he did speak, had absolutely no personality whatsoever and the bar was the most morbid I have ever had the misfortune to pull a stool up to. In fact I stopped bothering after about two days. There was no effort at all to make the kids feel special, no fuss or attention.

You will need your own kettle, toaster and tea towels (we knew this before we went as Thomson clearly state these are not in the rooms). Unfortunately Thomson also state there are karaoke and BBQ nights (not true, these have stopped due to lack of interest and lack of kids). Also, the maid service is every other day, not daily, and I had to empty our lidless swing bin regularly for the obvious reasons (smells, flies, ants etc).

Ideal is very biased towards the Russians / East Europeans, who spent every day by the pool bar with the staff who were also from their 'neck of the woods'. All the UK folk kept themselves to themselves and we all said we felt like outsiders. On one occasion when my daughter dared to jump in the pool, a tiny splash (and I mean tiny) caused one of them to complain about getting wet. I gave him a lecture on how to enjoy a holiday with your loved ones and suggested that if all he was going to do for two weeks was get drunk at the pool bar or sit in the shade on his sunbed (he never went in the pool once) then maybe he should retire to his dry balcony. You dont need this type of turkey ruining your precious moments but this was symptomatic of the place, and I think I was ready for his total lack of tolerance as for days him and his wife (who never spoke once) had done nothing but glare at us. Clearly did not like kids around the place.

Kokkini Hani is dead. there is nothing for the kids, not a Greek night in sight. Outside of the Ideal restaurant (great pizzas but everything else average) there is barely anywhere else to go and the couple that are OK are quite a walk. The beach is again average and the sea generally very choppy. There is one 'shack' that served only burgers (and they were not good). At night there are about three bars all frequented by locals mainly, again not one nice bar for the family. There is one other hotel in the resort which explains the lack of anything to do i.e. there is hardly anyone for them to have to cater for.

I cant help thinking that most of the reviewers have not been as far and wide as I have. Rhodes for example is packed with amazing beaches and full of stuff for kids, likewise other islands and indeed many parts of Crete, but not here.

If you are a UK couple, and want to relax in a quiet area and are not put off by eating pizza or chicken kebabs every night, this might be a good cheap break. But many older couples that were there same time as us were not happy about the lack of restaurants and the overrated beach, and unfortunately some with mobility difficulties found themselves isolated and surrounded by other guests who spent most of their time glaring at you if you appeared to be having fun. There were hardly any kids in the whole resort which was very disappointing for my children as they love to make friends on their holidays. Also much more burden on the parents to keep them entertained constantly too, combined with the lack of anywhere to take them other than the water park, which although very good for a day out is very expensive.

I have read the odd negative review in a sea of complimentary ones myself many times and thought that maybe the reviewer is just a habitual moaner but I assure you this is 100% the way it is here. The place is not hell and you will get by, but when I get away for 2 weeks I expect a lot more, in partuclar from people who are my hosts.

Room Tip: High floor as ground floor rooms are very dark and actually half of it is below ground level. They l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank A F
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed here in early May and it was very friendly, clean and quiet. Our girls (8 and 6) particularly liked the cats, pool, geckos and lemon trees. We liked the fact it was close to all amenities (beach, shops, bus), there was food for fussy kids including a wood fired pizza oven and that everyone who worked there was very friendly and helpful. Thank you for making our trip so pleasurable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Abi W
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have stayed at the ideal for the past 3 years & love it. It's a family owned & run place and they can't do enough to help you. The rooms are very clean but basically equipped but as we always eat in the ideal taverna it isn't a problem. The food is fab, all freshly cooked using mostly home grown produce, picked by Maria (mum) each day. Panos the eldest son has now qualified as a chef to add to mum & Maria ( cook ) in the kitchen, most morning's there is freshly baked home made bread - which is delicious. We love traditional greek food & if your favourite isn't on the menu they will make it for you for the following day, if you ask. Locals are very friendly, beach only few minutes away. 80% of the guests are returning year after year, that tells you something.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jaz4031
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Apartments were spotless but basically equiped. The apartment above reception was extremely noisy even when the bar was closed. We seemed to have very noist neighbors! Great location within strolling distance to lovely sandy beach. Sunbeds reasonably priced at 5 euros for 2 with umbrella.Kokkini has some lovely shops and excellent supermarkets and we found no change in prices from holidays last year. We loved Kokkini but it has suffered from the All Inclusive market. We struggled to find places to eat - Ideal cafe was basic but we found a fabulous waterfont restaurant called Aroma Meze with excellent food and extremely pleasant staff, we ate there at lunchtime and in the evening. Another find was Spyridon Patisserie opposite Ideal where there is a huge choice of fabulous cakes and ice cream and excellent coffee.

Room Tip: Avoid the main building!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends