We stayed at the Ideal Apartments the first two weeks of July. Given the moderate price of our package we didn't have high expectations but Ideal was just one of many pleasant surprises.
Our apartment was directly above the taverna, at the front of the building, overlooking the road, which caused some trepidation, but we had two large terraces (so could usually get or avoid direct sun) and actually enjoyed sitting out, breakfasting, watching the world go by on the not-too-busy road. The rooms were very big, very clean and reasonably equipped (we bought cheap tea towels, a couple of glasses and knives to enhance our stay, and left them for the next occupants). Beds and shower room were all good and we felt very much at home. One negative point was the very real need at this time of the year for air-conditioning which added £100 to our two week stay. We tried doing without for a couple of days but it proved impossible.
Without exception all the staff, one big family, were friendly and helpful. Fluency in English varied but was never a problem. Given that the local beach wasn't great, the pool was a real gem. It was a perfect size, clean and welcoming, with free use of sunbeds and lilos, and we spent at least part of every day there. Brilliant.
The Ideal is situated nicely for bus links, a short walk to the very handy supermarket for us self caterers, and opposite a fantastic bakers (we tried a different bread almost every day) .
Kokkini Hani was a pleasant surprise. One guide book we’d read was pretty scathing about the place but it was a nice size and had a genuinely pleasant feel, fine for early morning or late night strolls and well equipped with enough shops and good tavernas to keep most people happy. Visits to Heraklion and Agios Nikolaus confirmed our lucky choice of resort.
The Ideal was an important part of a wonderful, relaxing two week stay. So, many thanks to them for all their efforts because they seemed to genuinely care that we should have a good time and perhaps return one day.
Thomsons weren't so good, seeming to care more about selling overpriced day trips than giving accurate information. If we do return, we will book with Ideal direct and get the bus (£1.50) from outside the airport. It’s easy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideal hotel apartments offers a range of 25 tastefully decorated self-catering accommodation from family rooms to apartments.All apartments have two bedrooms, kitchen, lounge ,bathroom, WC, air conditioning and balcony over looking the pool or gardens and are equipped to a high standard with all necessary appliances. Cleaned daily and fresh bedding and towels provided. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Ideal Hotel Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ideal Apartments Hotel Kokkini Hani
- Ideal Hotel Apartments Crete/Kokkini Hani