“The best holiday in a long time”

and 1 more site!
Dias Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Stalis
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My partner and I came with my 6 year old daughter to the Dias for a wedding, 40+ and every single one of us agreed we couldn't have been made feel more welcome. Marie is the backbone of the hotel along with Michael who was the best barman and children's entertainer I have seen. Rooms were fantastic nice and spacious, the food was great Maria organised barbeque's for us when requested it couldn't have been better. FIrst time I have come to Greece but I will definitely return I just hope it lives up to the Dias and the lovely Maria and crew!!!

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We had a 1 bedroom apartment with sea & mountain view. We were completely looked after from the lady who cleaned and changed our bed linen & towels every couple of days to the bar staff who fed us nuts, popcorn or fruit each evening when we had a drink at the bar. Maria the manager was wonderful nothing was too much trouble, when the hairdryer failed I had a replacement within hours. they all made our holiday very relaxed. Also the Dias is only about a 10 minute walk into the centre of stalis. a few minutes walk to the local bus stop to both Agios Nikolaos and Heraklion and the towns in between. All in all I do not think you can get better. If I had to say there was a down side some times the music was played a bit loud and not to our taste to much bang bang. but not late at night or early morning and if you closed the patio doors you could hardly hear it.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathleen b
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I don't know if we got dropped at a parallel universe Dias to everyone else or what, but Maria definitely didn't make us feel welcome, or 'as if we were family'. We came in the final week of Dias's seasons and this is definitely a mistake. Reading other reviews, we had none of the entertainments/BBQ's/service that others had experienced, and the hotel started packing up around us 2 days before the end of our holiday.

We booked a sea-view room, however we arrived late at night and were shown to room 108, which is down in the basement level. It's in the back of beyond in the hotel. It overlooks a sort of waste land to the left of the balcony and some plants, no sea view in sight. There was none of the decoration seen in the photos, and the bathroom stank of sewage, not to mention the peeling paint on the ceiling.

First thing in the morning we went up to reception to ask to move rooms and were met by Maria. She did accommodate us in moving rooms, and moved us up to room 210 (much, much better), however the attitude that came with it wasn't great. We were unsure if we had offended her in someway and felt uncomfortable around her, making it hard to use some of the hotel facilities when she was around. It wasn't until later in the holiday when another couple told us that they were scared of her too, that we felt a little better knowing it wasn't personal to us. I've read reviews on here saying it's 'just her Greek ways', but I completely disagree. I've been coming to Greece for over 20 years and never encountered such a rude hotel manager.
However, Mikey the bar man really was lovely to us, particularly when our hotel transfer didn't turn up and we needed to get our flight, he drove us to the airport - which was obviously really helpful, and quite a relief.

The second room we had was nice, the bed's were comfy, the air-con works well (though costs €6 a night) and a definite positive is that there is always hot water. I've stayed in worse places in Crete but they were cheaper and didn't advertise themselves as 4*, which our experience of Dias was not. Also, it was only cleaned twice in the whole week we were there. Not great when you need a toilet roll top up and bins emptying. The cleaner however works tirelessly, but I think it's just too much for one person to do the lot.

We were due to leave on Sunday evening, and when we returned from the beach on Saturday midday pretty much everything had been packed away. All the sun beds (except for 4) and umbrellas (it was 28 degrees), as well as all the tables and chairs had been cleared away. A lot of the bedrooms which had gradually emptied over the last few days had been left open and deserted, giving the hotel a feeling of a 'ghost town' as another guest said. It was quite uncomfortable and made us feel a bit unwelcome… I think they really shouldn't have started packing everything up until we'd all left.

The pool didn't appear to be cleaned for most of the week, there was a bit of a sheen on it and a lot of dead insects… we did use it, but it wasn't always that pleasant.

On a positive note, we were able to keep our room for free on the day of departure, which was great and very much appreciated. Mikey the bar man was friendly, and our beds were comfortable, so we slept very well.

It wasn't all bad, but there were things that were really disappointing. Particularly as all the other reviews are so good, we really expected a great experience and didn't receive it. My advice would be to not go to Dias that near to the end of season, and definitely don't stay in a basement room. Maybe Maria and the staff were tired from being open all season, but the holiday wasn't cheap and it shouldn't matter when you go in terms of service you receive.
Stalis the resort however, was absolutely lovely - it was really relaxed and quiet due to the time of year, the people were super friendly, beaches clean and water clear blue. We had a good holiday, but it was made by the location and people we met in the hotel, not the hotel itself.

Room Tip: AVOID 108! If you're put in a crappy room ask to be moved, the standard of room definitely varie...
3  Thank Kate_RB_321
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We stayed at the Dias Luxury Studios and Apartments in Stalis in October shortly before the 2012 season finished and was blessed with lovely hot weather.

Resort Hoppa shuttle (which goes round the houses to deliver you) dropped us off across the road we had to walk through a culvert under the road then a few steps up the street to the apartments ( 80 mtrs total).

The rooms are very spacious, almost too much so, and could benefit from some extra storage, I wouldn’t have called ours luxurious. There are only two us and we only just managed.
The beds were comfortable and the bathroom and shower area adequate, linen and towel changes were OK.
The kitchen area was basic and the first job I had on arrival was a bit of DIY with a dinner knife to screw up the cupboard hinges so the doors didn’t fall off, as eating in wasn’t part of our holiday cooking facilities were not an issue, I expect you could get by if needed. There is a supermarket straight across the road. (back under the culvert)
Maria and Michalis (hope I’ve spelt that correctly) are the two main people you’ll meet at the apartments.
Maria is the manager and whilst I can’t agree with some other reviewers about how wonderful she is, I will say she always had time for us and was informative and very efficient.
Michalis runs the bar and looks after most other things when Maria isn’t there.
I found him a font of information and he speaks very passable English as well as
being good behind the bar. (thanks for the greek lessons).Both say they will be there in 2013
There is a comfortable area inside by the bar where there is free WiFi.
Being late in the season there was always plenty of empty pool loungers
around a small but well kept pool which was still warm enough to swim in.
A warning from my wife, DON’T forget the mossie repellant there are plenty of them about and not just in the late season.
The nearby area boasts a number of eating and drinking places.
The closest The Nine Muses and Pelagos Taverna are only a few minutes away and are both worth a visit. Further along the sea front you come to the main strip where there are any number of places.
We liked Stalis there is plenty about without it being too hectic.
The local bus service is very good for getting to Hersonissos or Malia if you want to hit the night spots.
For those interested .. drinks in the apartments bar .. Beer per pint 3 euros Gin and Tonic 5 euros
Outside bars Beer from 1.50 euros G&T 5 euros
Would I stay here again = Yes it was certainly worth what we paid

Room Tip: The nearer to reception the better the chance of the wifi reaching your room
6  Thank greyhound9
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Me and my partner have just arrived back from a fabulous 10 day holiday in Stalis. We arrived at The Dias early hours on 3/10 from the airport (which took nearly 2 hours, but I think it was because the driver took a lot of back roads – when we were picked up to go back it only took 45min) We were greeted by Michael the bar-man who is a really lovely guy, very friendly and loves his football which was on in the hotel almost every night, so if you have a partner who loves to footie its great because you can just leave him there ha-ha! Seriously though a very friendly man who will be happy to assist with anything. He showed us to our room which was lovely, spotlessly clean with a fantastic sea and pool view (room 206) we had a portable electric hob, kettle and toaster, cups, bowls, plates, frying pan and all the cutlery we needed.

We went B&B, the breakfasts were cooked by Maria who is the manager of the hotel – she is a very nice lady and will be happy to help. From reading a few posts on here some say she was quite rude and not very friendly but once you get familiar with her and understand her Greek ways you will realise she is a nice lady, on first impression very stern but would do anything to make your stay welcoming (don’t let it put you off, she really is very nice – if you need anything just ask) I also understood from her that the hotel was near to the end of season and coming to a close which I think put her into (holiday/winding down mode) as most of us do when we are due to finish in our jobs and go away! The hotel offer bar snacks which we never actually had but always looked very tasty and will accommodate to suit you. The hotel is about a 5-10 min walk (turn left out of the hotel, take first left, then turn right) from the main strip which is lovely as your away from the hustle and bustle of it all, lovely beaches and some nice little shops. We hired a quad and went up to the mountains, headed to the village of Mochos you wouldn’t believe it was up there, looking up at the mountains – you will see a large building looks a bit like a hotel but it is actually a women’s monastery, head up there if you have time - and take a look around Mochos a beautiful traditional Greek village very authentic and the Greek salads are ammmazing up there.

Trips
Spinalonga –
This was a fab day out, you take a coach and go through Krista and Agios Nikolaos which are really nice parts to look around and then you take a boat to Spinalonga.
Watercity –
All I can say is if you like adrenaline GO GO GO

(Our favourite) Restaurants and Bars
Amici Italian Restaurant (The best steak I have ever had)
Marias Golden Beach
Jannis Golden Heart
Akti Bar – (also good for bar snacks)
Dwyers Irish Bar (During the day for 3 Euros you get a sun bed on the beach and a Panini for lunch, also live music every night)
Robin Hood – Good for sports

Hope this has helped if you’re even considering Stalis for a holiday please do it is a beautiful part of Crete and very clean – the only downside its lots of stray dogs which I wanted to bring home! Would defo go back to stay at the Dias I imagine there is lots to do in the high season….wished there had been a BBQ Greek night that is the only moan.

Thank you Maria and Michael for a wonderful stay
Beth & Leigh
xx

Room Tip: Get a sea view!!!
5  Thank Beth0204
Reviewed 14 October 2012

A short review just come back from a 7 night stay at Dias our room was nice but dont ever get a basement apartment we looked into one and very dark and smelt of damp.
As for the owners i found not very friendly there was no entertainment regardless if the hotel was winding down there was still paying customers there.
The hotel is in a great location just a short walk to Stalis where you will find every thing you will need to have a great holiday.
The hotel is very clean and overall not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Do not take any of the basement rooms very dark and smell of damp
1  Thank Trevor M
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Just got back from a great holiday in Crete.Arrived at the Dias 2/10/12 for 10 nights late at night,to be told our Maisonette would not be ready until 12 the next day.We just wanted to get some sleep.We were put in room 208,facing inward,Not impressed,but we just slept.
Next day looking forward to our Maisonette,which we had booked at least 5 months before,Only to be told that it would not be ready for another day.But we were moved to room 205 with a seaview.Living out of a suitcase is not a good start to a holiday..We could not understand why our Maisonette was not ready, as the Dias was not full..Also we lost a full day of our holidays waiting for our Apartment..When we did eventually get what we had paid for, which was room 303, it was very nice,very clean and the views are wonderful.
I asked for aircon and a safe which i paid full price 60euros,i asked about a discount, as we had been messed around for 2 days,but this was to no avail,Oh well!!..We can say the Dias is very clean,But as for self catering..very,very mininal.So please dont expect to much, if you are on a budget and wish to cook a few meals in then think again,Luckily we ate out all the time.
I have read on here,that Maria is very nice and freindly,,Well i suppose she is if you are spending money in the Dias,but we found her very hard work,She didnt speak unless you spoke to her..The pool was also very clean.

Dias is a good base.I personally would only rate it as a 3star,but a good one :).
Please try Pegasus pub for breakfast very,very good,3:90 euro for a full english plus tea or coffee,orange juice and toast...walk through stalis its on the right hand side across from the Mythos bar....Also when you come out of the apartments turn right,then right again,down the road heading to the sea,turn left you will find a wonderful greek taverna..the guy who owns it, is really good...Its called PELAGOS..Please try this,if only once,trust me you will go back,
We didnt find it until the last night...Gutted..
All in all we had a very nice holiday,we didnt let the start bother us,but my Missus wasnt happy with living out of a suitcase..Crete is a wonderful Island and the people are very friendly,Please try harder Maria :)..would we go back to the Dias sorry but No.But we would go back to Crete Tomorrow.

Room Tip: Make sure you take mosquito repellant,
2  Thank oatcake40