“Great Hostel for solo travellers”
Review of Caveland

Caveland
Reviewed 28 July 2013

An amazing hostel! I arrived on an early morning flight and got to Caveland around 7am. Reception doesn't open till 10 but Nabil had arranged to leave my key and a map of the hostel out for me which was extremely convenient! The room itself was very clean (although very hot in July!!) and I felt extremely safe and comfortable. The breakfast wasn't anything special, but the common area is a great place to meet people and they have a computer to use for free. The atmosphere of the place is great, everyone is keen to hang out and make new friends! My only problem was that the door to the room as extremely difficult to open (the key had to be jiggled in a particular way) and everyone my room had trouble with it. When I explained to the woman at the front desk that we were all having trouble she acted as if we must be really stupid. But other than that I had a fantastic time at Caveland and would definitely go back!

Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the cave apartment and found the room really nice and had most of the facilities of a self contained apartment. The common areas were very nice and the pool was great. Breakfast was toast and cereal so nothing to write home about.

Location was a bit off with a 20 min walk to Fira up hill.

I would recommend Caveland apartment for a couple traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Exactly what a youth hostel should be -- sparkling clean sheets, very very comfortable bunk beds, spotless rooms and bathrooms, even tennis courts (and equipment for rent) and a spotless and comfortable (and rather warm) swimming pool with an excellent lounge-chair area. Great wifi, excellent hotel staff service, adequate (although humble) breakfast, lots of refrigerators and cooking areas available, and above all easy access to local dining, nightlife, walking, shopping, and buses to more scenic areas. The concierge (Navio) gave us easy directions on how to get there from the local ferry port, and he arranged on request for very dependable transportation to pick us up at 5 a.m. (!!!!) and deliver us to the airport on the day of our departure! Excellent service, spotless grounds, very very happy. My only wish is that they get rid of the two of the four dogs that seem to instigate all of the barking (at all hours of the night). The other two dogs are lovely, and quite wonderful companions as you're lounging around the pool (or outdoor garden) with a book in hand.

Room Tip: The dorm rooms were spotless, and all guests were very respectful of each other :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights in Santorini. I paid 20 euros for a bed in a mixed ten beds dorms, which is a really good value for Santorini! The room is very comfortable (it is in a cave but it does not look like a cave because they have added walls and paint and all that). The room is very big and even has couches and stuff so there is plenty of space for luggage and everything else. There is an excellent wifi connexion at the hostel and I had no problem getting Internet in my room, which I appreciated because a lot of times there is only one wifi rooter in the main area but not in the rooms! Also there is a computer guests can use in the kitchen if you do not have your own device. The only thing I didnt like, I dont know if it is like that in every room or if it was only in mine, the bathroom was a BIT smelly. But nothing dramatic or terrible... just a bit annoying.

The staff is very friendly, speaks perfect English and is very helpful with tips on things to do on the island.

The pool is pretty nice and they organize nice excursions, I would advice doing the one to the volcano, the price is reasonable and you must not miss that on Santorini!

Also if you want a food tip there is an excellent restaurant, At Mama's (or Mama's place... can't remember) on the way to Fira. Go there!! It's delicious and the prices are reasonable for Santorini :)

Room Tip: I was in a mixed ten bed dorms (room no 3). The beds are very comfy but as mention above the only th...
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a recent trip to Greece, it was one of the most pleasant hostels I have ever stayed in. The pool was a welcome bonus. The rooms and the bathrooms were clean and functional. The location isn't ideal but that didn't detract from my enjoyment. It is an excellent budget option on an otherwise fairly pricey island.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed three nights in the 4-bed girls dorm in this wonderful hostel in Karteradhos. The dorm rooms were huge and they were cozy, well kept, and always clean. They had lockers and hangers for each Cavelander. The lockers had the sockets in them so each Cavelander can charge her gadget. They provided two towels (one bath towel and one smaller towel) too.

Their breakfast includes bread, assortment of jams, butter, muesli, milk, coffee and tea. You can use their communal kitchen if you want to cook your own meals. Bring your swimsuit so you can swim in their pool! The staff was just really welcoming and they made really good suggestions how to make our stay more enjoyable. Take their advice! E.g. Take the bus to Oia then do the hike to Fira so it would be downhill (most people do it the other way).

Now if you are a bit apprehensive about staying in a hostel 20-30 minutes away from Fira (by walking), I would say that is a quite a walk, but it is a nice walk. Don't be in a hurry to do anything and do everything - the vibe of Santorini is not your usual busy buzzling town. It is near a bus stop but you can just walk to Fira anyway. One advantage of staying in this location is being near restaurants which offer authentic and delicious Greek meals at a really affordable price - almost half the price of those in Fira! The place is also a couple of minutes away from supermarkets and bakeries.

Staying in Caveland made Santorini more charming to me! Good value for money!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank melodymedley
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Having discovered caveland at the end of last year for a few days I decided to come back and give the place the time and space it deserves. I've just finished a month's stay and it was everything I hoped for and more. the vast estate has such an individual authentic feel and has lots of terraces and space that keeps it interesting and private if you so desire. The views are stunning, the accommodation in the caves original and charming and the location is perfect as you have the beautiful village of Karterados on your doorstep and Fira a short walk or bus ride away but the peace and serenity of farmland. I was not feeling very well when I arrived as I'd recently miscarried but a month in this magical place and I feel rejuvenated, positive and ready again to tackle life .

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NancyC C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karteradhos
Villa Manos
#4 of 16 in Akrotiri
Youth Hostel Anna
Youth Hostel Anna
#45 of 63 in Perissa

Been to Caveland? Share your experiences!