Caveland
Hotel Ikaros(Karteradhos)
Agapi Villas(Karteradhos)
Villa Manos(Karteradhos)
View Hotel
All reviewsbed dormyoga classesmueslithe busbbq areareception closesfairy talebit out of the waybeautiful hosteldecent locationfully equipped kitchensmall islandmin walkcommon areasstayed two nightsfira townred beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Loved this friendly hostel! I was traveling alone but from the beginning didn't feel that way.
Great staff and 4 resident dogs!!! The best.
Breakfast every morning was toast, jam, muesli, tea, coffee, and milk.
You get a towel, sheet, pillow and a locker.
Reception is very helpful and helped me book a tour to the volcano, hot springs, Thirisia and Oia for the sunset.
Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Caveland has been one of the most exotic hostels I've been to thus far. Apart from their usual dorms (with beds less than 25EUR a night), my girlfriend and I stayed in their Private Cave, and everything was as per advertised, or even better than advertised.

What's to be noted is that the cave is away hidden at a corner of the hostel, away from your crowd yet close to the reception area. So you get the privacy you demand, and the entire room is made chilly from the white plaster-looking walls. The entire place used to be an old Tennis Club, and they occupy a huge plot of land including a carpark and a private swimming pool (with a poolside bar) and 2 tennis courts.

When we were asking for directions, it was an easy landmark for people in the town to recognize, and they were generally very willing to direct us to our destination.

Caveland is located at Karterados town, a short 15-25minutes walk from central Fira (main city-centre of Santorini). The town is very small and quiet, away from the main hustle and bustle of Fira. Things here are also more value-for-money, including food and drinks at their restaurants, which could either be cheaper or in bigger portions. Yet it's not too hard to get to, with public buses available from the Port (at 1.60EUR - 2.20EUR per pax) and to Fira (1.60EUR per pax), and very accessible if you rent the Quad (All Terrain Vehicle) to get around the whole island of Santorini.

What's also very important to note is the warmth and hospitality evident in this place. Nabil - the receptionist and "tour-guide" and host - was very very willing to answer any questions you may have about the island, and help you solve your dormitory problems if you have any. Fellow tourists that we interacted with over breakfast at the communal kitchen were also very ready to share their experiences and opinions about certain things on the island. If you're a pool and sun person, this place also has a private pool for your convenience, and you can suntan together with the 4 dogs that the owner keep, all of whom are ready to play with you.

Overall, a 5 star experience in this exotic private cave. We will return again for the value-for-money experience and ultimately, for Sunny Santorini.

Room Tip: We had the super exotic Wine Cave for my girlfriend and myself.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a lovely hostel in a quiet, yet well situated spot. The rooms and surroundings are simple yet beautiful. I meet some amazing people here and I was also very happy with the service. The only improvements needed would be better aircon and some of the doors are very hard to open!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

An amazing hostel! I arrived on an early morning flight and got to Caveland around 7am. Reception doesn't open till 10 but Nabil had arranged to leave my key and a map of the hostel out for me which was extremely convenient! The room itself was very clean (although very hot in July!!) and I felt extremely safe and comfortable. The breakfast wasn't anything special, but the common area is a great place to meet people and they have a computer to use for free. The atmosphere of the place is great, everyone is keen to hang out and make new friends! My only problem was that the door to the room as extremely difficult to open (the key had to be jiggled in a particular way) and everyone my room had trouble with it. When I explained to the woman at the front desk that we were all having trouble she acted as if we must be really stupid. But other than that I had a fantastic time at Caveland and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the cave apartment and found the room really nice and had most of the facilities of a self contained apartment. The common areas were very nice and the pool was great. Breakfast was toast and cereal so nothing to write home about.

Location was a bit off with a 20 min walk to Fira up hill.

I would recommend Caveland apartment for a couple traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2013