“AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!”
Review of Villa Manos

Villa Manos
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Karteradhos
Reviewed 26 January 2014

AVOID STAYING HERE! This is a late review, but my friend and I had a horrible experience with Villa Manos back in August of 2013. We booked our room for Villa Manos over a month in advance. We got a call from Poppy a couple days before our flight from Athens to Santorini telling us that Villa Manos was overbooked but we could stay in “Villa Manos 2” one night and then move to Villa Manos for our second night. Poppy emailed us pictures of Villa Manos 2. Assuming Villa Manos 2 would be of the same quality as Villa Manos, we naively told Poppy we would just stay at Villa Manos 2 both nights because that would be easier than trying to transfer our luggage back to Villa Manos during the day. Everything was downhill from there.

We waited for almost two hours at the airport before Poppy’s daughter picked us up. Once we got to Villa Manos, we had to wait around for another hour or two before they would give us a ride to the Dump, aka Villa Manos 2. During this time, they sold us a tour for the next day and gave us free, delicious waffles – the only good thing we got from Villa Manos. We paid our deposit for the room and were eventually taken to Villa Manos 2, which was far away from everything. The room was tiny, the air conditioning was broken, the showers were freezing, the beds were uncomfortable, there was no pool, receptionist, or breakfast on site, and we had to haul our luggage up steep steps. Essentially, there was nothing good about the room. The real Villa Manos is too far away for you to take advantage of its amenities unless you have a car/ATV, which we didn’t.

My friend and I noticed that our room at the Dump was in the same building as Emmanuela Studios. Poppy was making us pay the full Villa Manos rate for our stay at the Dump, and we went online and noticed that rooms at Emmanuela Studios were about a third of the price we were paying. We emailed Poppy explaining our issues with the room and asking for her to consider reducing the price we owed because we were not getting the benefits of the real Villa Manos. In response, Poppy’s husband showed up and banged on our door around 2:30 a.m. while we were sleeping and demanded that we pay him the rest of the money we owed at that very moment. He was incredibly rude, and our air conditioning remained broken.

Overall, dealing with Poppy, Poppy’s husband, and “Villa Manos 2” was a horrible experience and waste of money. Although staying at the real Villa Manos might be ok, it’s not worth taking the risk that they will be overbooked and make you stay at the Dump. If you have to stay at the Dump, you should only do so if you can pay the same rates that Emmanuela Studios charges. Also, the pool at the real Villa Manos isn’t nearly as big as it looks in pictures. AVOID VILLA MANOS AND POPPY!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank TXTraveler87

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in a double room at Villa Manos for 3 nights in September, and had a great time here! When we arrived, Poppy welcome us with a glass of wine and gave us maps and information about Santorini, which tours to take, etc. Then a man, I'm assuming her husband, showed us two different rooms and let us pick which one we preferred. The room we ended up in had a small fridge, its own washroom, and a small terrace. It also had an air conditioner. Not a big deal, but the room key was a bit heavy (you needed to put it in a slot by the door in order to make the electricity run). When we were leaving, she gave us a slice of cake and a bottle of wine, and asked to take a picture with us by the pool. Very sweet lady! The hotel is a short bus ride away from Fira, but it was not an issue for us. The bus stop is a minute's walk away from the hotel!

My only gripe is that we had difficulty contacting her by phone a day before our arrival. We had forgot to arrange a ride from the port to the hotel (we were taking a ferry from Crete to Santorini), and tried to call the hotel the night before. However, it took many tries before she finally picked up! Also, on the day we arrived at the port, we met someone from Villa Manos (you can recognize him since he will be holding a Villa Manos sign) and said we just needed to wait for other guests which should arrive by ferry soon. After 15 minutes, he said that the ferry was going to be late. I assumed it would just be another 10-15 minutes, but no... we waited over an hour! My boyfriend and I thought he actually left us because he just disappeared but finally we spotted him leaving a cafe with a drink in his hand. He could have told us it would take that long, so that we could relax at a cafe too (we were sitting outside anxiously waiting for the ferry with the other guests to arrive). When the other guests did arrive, they made no mention of "sorry we were late", so I have a thought that perhaps he knew it would take over an hour but just made it seem that the ferry was late. Anyways, other than this inconvenience, we had a great time at Villa Manos! Just thought I'd mention the ferry issue.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

"It's because you are nice to people, everything you see will be nice as well" a quote from Poppy, owner of Villa Manos and surely one of the nicest person I've met in my life!

When we arrived at the port, they arranged free transport from the port to the hotel. As we arrived at the hotel, Poppy showed one of her super talents - explained all essential but super helpful travel tips in only 10 minutes.

Because we love this amazing Greek island so much, we decided, spontaneously, to stay 1 more night at Villa Manos. After we told Poppy about it and you know what, she spent her whole day trying to keep our room for us by contacting the new comers if they can switch to another room. Even though she didn't make it at the end, she upgraded us, for free, to a HOUSE with 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and a LIVING ROOM. Even more, while we were waiting at the lounge, she and her husband (another amazing person) treated me free pizza and orange juice!!!

On our last day in Santorini, because we had some problem with our quad-bike, we didn't catch the bus from the hotel to the port, while our ferry was in less than 1 hour... And you know what, Poppy and her husband, used their OWN car to drive us to the port!!!

There are so many reasons to go back to Santorini again, but only one is enough for me - Villa Manos and Poppy!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had the best time at Villa Manos when I was in Santorini. Poppy is one of the best hosts that I've ever encountered. She's kind, funny and very helpful. I was upgraded to a bigger room upon my arrival and then spent most of my time by the pool with the other globe trotters. When I left, Poppy gave me a bottle of wine, a massive hug and well wishes. The life of a backpacker would be so simple if every hostel experience was like this.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I will not repeat all the wonderful things said about Villa Manos, but I will vouch for this: all the good things said on TripAdvisor are true!

During my whole two-month trip in Europe, this is the only place where I got the best deal for my 20 euros: upgraded from single to double room with my own bathroom, TV, fridge and balcony. Every day, the room was cleaned and the towels replaced. They helped me with late-night food orders delivered straight to my room.

One night when I was about to sleep, Poppy banged on my door only to ask if I was up for a late night drive to Kamari. "Of course!", I said. I joined Poppy's family and two other female solo travellers for a late night munch of chips, lamb ribs and wine! It was absolutely delightful and I gained new friends in one night!

I only wish that Villa Manos is near Fira and that the roads are well-lit at night. I often found myself walking back alone in the dark but I had a torch light so it was okay.

I didn't leave Villa Manos without a hug and kiss, a surprise gift and a poolside pictorial with Poppy. I had an enjoyable stay and I'm sure you will too!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We had a wonderful time at villa manos! The hotel picked us up and brought us back to port, and took us into town is few times. They gave suggestions for the island and offered to set up excursions for us. I would gladly stay there again! Thank you Poppy and the rest of the staff!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We loved our stay there.Villa manos is a family home.Poppy is a wonderful host and treat you like you are part of her family.The rooms were lovely.The breakfast was delicious.The best part of the hotel was the pool and the pool bar.We will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karteradhos
Stavros Villas
Atalos Apartments & Suites
Emmanouela Studios & Villas
Emmanouela Studios & Villas
#9 of 15 in Karteradhos

Been to Villa Manos? Share your experiences!