“Lovely holiday”
Review of Silo Apartments

Silo Apartments
Ranked #2 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Lassi
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just came back from 2 weeks at the silo apartments, this is the third year running and it gets better every time we go.Effy is fantastic with all the customers whatever nationality she has the knack of communicating in such a lovely way and always with a smile.Maria the owner makes beautiful jams and cakes for everyone to try.We always went to Corfu but once we went to Kefalonia we were hooked.Definately going next year,we knew our luggage would be overweight so they have washed and kept our large beach towels for us for next year.The Robola wine is fantastic had a bottle with lunch most days

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gill o
There are newer reviews for Silo Apartments

Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Perfectly situated with just a 5 minute walk up to the centre of Lassi. We arrived on 10th Sept and stayed for a week. During which we enjoyed both pools with no problems and there was always plenty of sun beds available. Effie at the pol bar was extremely helpful and Maria cooked delicious homemade cakes daily! We would reccomend staying here if you are lookimg for a quiet, relaxing resort which is still close to the amenities.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank AimeeCantle
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We returned home last week after a delightful 2 weeks at the Silo Studios. The studios are situated in a small complex ideally situated for both beaches and restaurants/bars which are about 5-10 minutes walk away. The complex is well planned to ensure peace and quiet at all times for guests.
The accommodation was perfect. Spotlessly clean, modern and spacious. We were particularly impressed by the bathroom - a proper shower cubicle with sliding doors and a hair dryer fixed to the wall. Thick, white, fluffy towels were replaced every day. Also the studio was cleaned and the bins emptied every day. The bedding was changed 4 times in the 2 weeks we were there.
The food at the pool bar was excellent and we loved the complimentary home made cake with the mid morning coffee.
There was no extra charge for the air conditioning, safety deposit box, wi-fi or late check out on our last day. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful at all times.
Having read through some of the previous reviews I must say we had no problem with the cats. There were a couple of cats around but they were very timid and generally kept out if the way. Also we used both swimming pools as did the hotel guests from next door and people who were staying in the bungalows across the road. There was never any problem.
I would definitely recommend Silo Studios.

Room Tip: We found our first floor studio to be more private than some of the ground floor studios near the po...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bspeaks49
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We enjoyed a two week holiday in July 2013. The staff at the Silo were very helpful and friendly, we were even presented with a homemade chocolate cake one afternoon. The room was spacious and clean. Order your bread and croissants the evening before and they will be ready for your breakfast the next morning. Bar food is home cooked and very fresh. You can order filled baguettes to take down the beach. The pool area was clean and well maintained and we always managed to get a sunbed the service was excellent, our air conditioning unit broke and the entire unit was replaced within 30 mins. I would recommend the Silo apartments and may even go back there one day.

5  Thank Turquoiselady2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed at the Silo Apartments for a week from July 11, 2013 with our two children aged 6 and 7. We felt very welcome from the moment we arrived, and got helpful tips regarding where to go and which beaches to visit in other parts of the island. The pool area was nice and we had quite a few good meals in the pool bar. Enjoying a Mojito with mint from the flowerpot in the bar was great. The studio was clean and quiet. A small beach is only a few minutes walk away, as is the Platis Gialos Beach and the restaurants of Lassi.

5  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked based on the reviews we read on this site. They were all accurate and we found the accommodation to be just what we wanted. Clean, quiet, friendly, welcoming and helpful staff - especially the hard working staff who prepared really tasty simple meals in the bar area. Freshly baked bread, home made jam, freshly baked cakes every morning - wonderful. We had two ground floor apartments in the third block - away from all the action and the comings and goings around the pool - we felt we had our own private section with the lawn in front of us, rosemary growing to the side of us.(One tip - don't leave your towels out to dry overnight if you are on the ground floor - we woke one morning to find our things soaking as the sprinkler system comes on during the night/early morning!!) The two apartments had an internal door which we opened to give us more space as we were traveling as a family of four. Two beaches are close by - a 5 min. walk and a 10 min. walk. 10 min walk to the main street with all the tavernas and supermarkets. We would recommend to family and friends and would return!

2  Thank 1NOlly
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Don’t be misled by me only giving Silo 3 stars, these are excellent 3 star apartments and I would happily go back tomorrow, but they are graded as 3 stars and not higher (I will explain later).
My husband and I stayed here from 16-30 July and e-mailed earlier to request a first floor, quiet room as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary.
We got a lovely first floor room as requested and were happy to say that all rooms seemed very quiet; the only time we even knew there was anyone in the next room was when we saw them from our balcony! Even a crying baby in the next apartment – didn’t hear a thing! Perfect, just what we wanted.

The apartments are in a quiet area of Lassi, but only about a 5-7 minute walk from the main road where all the tavernas/restaurants, supermarkets etc are located. There are 2 beaches within very easy walking distance, which made the location perfect as far as we were concerned. You really need a little walk after all the wonderful food available!

As everyone has already said, you will be welcomed by the staff personally and shown to your room. They are all very friendly and helpful. The grounds of Silo are also really nice with olive trees. There is a nice swimming pool and pool/snack bar and also a little supermarket on site where you can get any essentials you might need. You can also order a nice freshly baked loaf to be ready for you the next day, just pop into the shop the day before and give details of your room number and whether you prefer a brown or white loaf and you can pop down in the morning and collect your freshly baked bread.

Room
Our first floor room (114) was to the side above the main reception area had a really high ceiling and was very spacious and airy. We had a large wardrobe with a small safe in the back – at no extra cost. We had 2 beds pushed together, which was fine as there was no ‘roll-together’ and they were quite comfortable with firm mattresses. The pillows, however, were very hard and I found myself with permanent neck ache and numb ears on occasions!!
There is a dressing table with large mirror and 2 stools and 2 bedside cabinets.
There is an arm chair – just the one. A small TV is positioned up high above the dressing table – you can get BBC World News just to keep in touch with what’s going on in the world if you feel the need.
I felt the room could really have done with a small chest of drawers or something to put all your bits and pieces in and there was room for it. Also, a full length mirror would have been nice.
There was a very small bathroom with toilet, sink with marble surround and standard shower cubicle. The shower hose hook is fixed fairly high up, so take a shower cap if you don’t want to get your hair wet. I found the shower cubicle a bit small and pokey and was forever bashing my arms and knees on the doors, but it is a standard size so it’s just me being picky and there was always plenty of hot water whenever you wanted it.
There is a quite powerful 1200, 2-speed hair dryer fixed on the wall, which I found was more than adequate – so don’t bother bringing one of your own.
A plastic pump bottle of mild liquid hand soap is also provided – so no need to bring soap as it was quite nice.
The bed linen was changed once during our two-week stay and the towels only about 3 times. I found the towel changing to be very ad-hoc as you never knew whether to just leave your towels on the floor in the bathroom or hang them up again, just in case you weren’t given fresh ones. Whether they didn’t bother changing the towels because we did hang them up, I’m not sure, but they weren’t changed very frequently.
The beds were also not made very frequently – again, this could be because I was pulling up the covers or leaving them pulled down to air.
Our room was fairly clean, but I did write my name in the dust on the top of telephone and it stayed like it until we left the apartment. I also reported the light bulb above the dressing table to be out and was promised a replacement (as the room was a little dark) – this wasn’t done.
Obviously with Greece, used toilet tissue is not to be put down the loo, but placed in the bin beside the toilet and this bin was not emptied every day which I found to be a bit unacceptable.

The first night in our apartment we didn’t bother with the air conditioning and boy did we regret it. My husband left the balcony door open and I was woken up frequently in the stifling room by the screaming of mozzies flying past my face and feasting on me! I would really recommend budgeting extra for the air conditioning remote control, it’s 4 Euros per day and I know that adds an extra £60ish to the cost of a 2 week holiday, but believe me it is so worth it. You will sleep better because you can close the balcony door and not be bothered with the mosquito’s and have a lovely cool room to shower and get ready in. I did see some people in ground floor rooms that were relaxing on their beds with all the windows and doors open, just to try and keep the rooms cooler – not very private.

There is a small but adequate balcony with a table and 2 chairs – which we really loved. We had our breakfast outside every day listening to the cicadas and enjoying our lovely freshly baked bread. There is a very large clothes horse outside which is just perfect to hang out any beach towels, swimming costumes or washing you may have done. There are about 15 or so pegs, so if you think you might be doing more washing, just bring a few extra pegs with you, but you can leave your travel washing line at home!

You are supposed to vacate your room by 10am, but are not hassled if you are a bit late. If you have a late flight, there are quite a few courtesy rooms which are located down the stairs in the reception. Each room has a toilet, shower and area for you to change in and I think there were about 4 or 5 – no towels were supplied and there’s no air con, so it was baking hot down there, but they are very handy to use so that you can make the most of the sunshine and pool right up to the last minute before you have to leave.

The kitchen area is small and consists of 2 electric rings, kettle, toaster and fridge. There is a small kitchen ‘bar’ area to use as workspace and you are supplied with the basic utensils for 4 people. You are given a bottle of washing-up liquid – so that’s another thing you won’t have to worry about bringing or buying. I would suggest you just bring an old tea towel and a washing-up sponge which you can dump when you leave.

I was surprised that not once did we have to get up early to do the ‘towels on the beds’ routine by the pool. It’s not a massive area, but apart from 2 couples who I can only assume left their towels on the beds all night to ensure they got their favourite place, there was always space round the pool. You are left information saying not to use the other pool from the Thalasso Hotel (right next door), but everyone seemed to use whichever pool they fancied, and as it was never overly crowded I don’t think anyone really minded. There were even regular visits from guests from a neighbouring apartment block without a pool, but as they didn’t stay that long, there were always beds free, they ordered drinks from the bar and didn’t cause any problems, they were very much allowed to use it too. I would mention that there are no depth markings around the pools at all to indicate how deep they are. The shallow end of the Thalasso pool was about 3foot and the Silo pool even deeper, so if you do have very young children or toddlers, you may wish to do what we saw another family do – purchase a small blow-up paddling pool from one of the supermarkets which you can fill with water from a hose in the grounds. They placed this in the shade of their ground floor apartment, which was perfect for their baby to splash around in and out of direct sunlight.

We only ate at the pool snack bar once and this was on our last day. We ordered burgers and chips. Our chips were not completely cooked through and I found a large black hair in my burger. Everyone else was raving about the food though and saying how good it was, especially the home cooked breakfasts, so I am assuming my one-time experience was very unusual and not a normal occurrence.
We were also told that the bar/snack bar stayed open ‘late’ but whenever we came back to the apartments, it was always closed and everything usually in darkness (around 10pm). We didn’t mind as we’d already eaten and were ready for bed, but if you fancy a late night drink, this isn’t really the place for it.

Despite booking for our anniversary and having greeting cards up in our room - nothing was said or done for us. Not important, but I thought I'd just mention it as we usually get wished 'Happy Anniversary' at the least or even given a bottle of wine or basket of fruit.

I know I have made a few comments about the room not being cleaned as regularly as it could have, towels not being changed, or the toilet bin not being emptied every day and this is reflected in the 3 stars that I have given the property. I must say however, that we really enjoyed our stay in Kefalonia and at Silo Apartments and we would thoroughly and warmly recommend it to anyone. We would have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: Would recommend a room on a higher floor if you don't have children.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple