“Great atmosphere”
Review of Evelin Hotel

Evelin Hotel
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Pythagorion
Reviewed 13 August 2013

All though not located on the beach (ca 700 meter walk) Evelin offers a great atmosphere for Your holiday. Best staff and beatiful setting.
Must just say a big thank you for making my vacation excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Knut F

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Hotel Evelin is ideally placed to explore the beautiful, largely unspoiled island of Samos. The hotel is under five minutes transfer from the airport. There's a recommended car hire on site, allowing an easy way to access the whole island. Trips up into the mountain villages of Vourliotes and Manolates, provide an insight into Greek village life, as does the larger but still very traditional village of Kontakeika. The beaches of Lemonakia (stony but beautiful waters and taverna) and Psili Ammos (shallow, sandy, but can get crowded esp. on weekends) are easy to while away a lazy day. Driving is easy and the mountains not too much of a challenge.

Back to the hotel itself. This is a great place for people who enjoy the almost ubiquitous standards of Greek hospitality. Rooms cleaned daily, shower curtain and ''tray'', kettles on demand and anything else you may desire, the excellent staff at Evelin will endeavour to provide. From the extremely efficient and charming Alex on reception and her able deputy on night watch, through to the gang of 3, Anna, George and Betty are amiable, attentive and have an unobtrusive and natural flair for what Brits call ''customer service'', I'd say that all the staff, and the warmth and friendliness off the owners make your day, and ultimately make your holiday.

The nearby (3km) village of Chora/Hora also boasts a fabulous, traditional tavern Adonis. Up a side street, an appetite inducing walk, or 8 Euro taxi ride from Evelin, it's a great night out.

Pythagorio itself boasts excellent food, shops, mature therefore laid back cocktail bars, shops, post office, ATMs, jewellers, bakers, fish restaurants and traditional travernas with an international mix of travellers. While Evelin is a 25min easy stroll to town, if like me, you enjoy a ''sundowner'' before dinner, 10 Euros will get you to town and back effortlessly. Alternatively, have an extra hour on the balcony and enjoy the very acceptable food and friendly atmosphere at Evelin. This is a location which allows you to be as gregarious or insular as you chose, and is what I probably loved, and still love about Greece a quarter of a centuary on.

If there is a downside, it's flight availability (Gatwick\ Thompson only for packages) but as Scottish/ Cumbria travellers, we happily stuck an extra day on at either end of the holiday, and as the saying goes ''we're worth it!'' Please go to Samos and enjoy it all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank andrea w
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We have just had a wonderful week at the Evelin. The hotel is fairly simple but has everything you need, clean rooms with optional air conditioning, a pool with sunbeds, a poolside bar and restaurant that provides a good breakfast and simple Greek meals and snacks and last but not least outstanding staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them Anna, George and Betty always welcome you with a smile at the bar and Aexandra is so helpful at reception. My partner left her bag in a bar in town we were about to make the 25 minute walk back but Alexandra insisted on ringing the bar to ensure it was kept safely for us so that we could collect the following morning.
The hotel is about a 25 minute walk from the town and 15 minutes from the beach, there is a supermarket 150 metres away and next door is a very good cheap car hire. The Harbour and the Archaeological Museum are must see in the town as is the Eupalinus tunnel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We were able to pick up a last minute deal with Thomson's for seven nights at the Evelin Hotel. Though we would have preferred to be in Pythagorio proper, we had stayed at the nearby Villa Anna last June so knew that the 20 to 25 minute walk down to the harbour was tolerable for a week.
On arrival we received a warm welcome from the very friendly owners and were given an upstairs room at the back of the hotel. It had a good balcony with a (distant) sea view. Everything in the room worked properly and it was kept spotlessly clean due to being cleaned every day. Despite some comments to the contrary, we had no problems with noise from the nearby airport, and as we were at the rear of the hotel, sounds from the road were minimal. Mosquito’s didn't give us a problem though we did take precautions.
Since one of the reasons for our visit was to see friends that we'd made over the years on previous trips to Samos, we didn't spend as much time in the Evelin as it perhaps deserved.
We enjoyed breakfasts at the bar by the pool a couple of times, but spent our days and evenings elsewhere, so can't comment further. But judging from the reactions of our fellow guests, everyone seemed to have had a good time. Once again, I can't speak highly enough about the friendliness of both the owners and staff!
I was tempted to mark it down from 5 stars to 4 because of the distance between the hotel and Pythagorio itself but wouldn't be that unkind - though it can be quite a trek back late at night! Taxis are available near the harbour, but according to the locals, Greece's economic problems seem to have passed taxi drivers by because they'd recently raised their fares by 50%...
Finally, why do hotels like the Evelin need your support? Firstly, the main complaint we heard from our friends while we were there, was about the rise of "all inclusive" hotel resorts on Samos - though why anyone would wish to visit Greece and stay in "the compound" is totally beyond me. Secondly, the people of Greece need your support and are genuinely pleased to see visitors returning year after year. Finally, Thomson have already cut out their Manchester flight, they now have only one hard put upon rep for their 10 (?) properties on the island and I suspect they may be tempted to pull out of Pythagorio or even Samos completely – let’s hope not.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DaveE6
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I cannot put into words what a wonderful time I had here. Five of us stayed at the Evelin and we could not have had a better place to stay. All the people were lovely, staff, owners and guests alike. Alexandra, Anna, Betty and George were just great. Nothing was ever too much trouble. Anna and Betty did their best to help me learn some Greek with much patience and laughter. Our Thomson rep, Rebecca, was lovely and was a regular visitor. The island itself is simply beautiful and unspoilt. The walks and cycling are beautiful and the people everywhere are friendly.
Evelin is not in the quietest of locations but that simply did not matter. It was a part of the charm of the place and it took no time at all to feel at home.
This was my first trip abroad since 1981 and my first to a hot country. It would have been easy to be disappointed. I was not in any way disappointed, indeed I cannot wait to go back!
Simply a wonderful place to stay!

Ian

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank G0vgs
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We went to hotel Evelin on 31st May for 2 weeks on reccomendation of the Thomson advisor who knows me, at first site I was not sure, but very quickly realised what a wonderful place this is. I asked to change rooms immediately as I didnot want a front room because there is a road in front. However, in hindsite everyone I spoke to said it is not a problem with noise. The receptionist could not have been not helpful, she showed me 2 rooms to choose from and advised me on them, the room was lovely. The owners have had the place for many years and are quietly on hand keeping things shipshape. Alex the receptionist is a one off and constantly asks if you are ok and will give advise on the island. When you return from your day she aks how you enjoyed it. The whole of the staff at the hotel and bar are customer focused, they are one big family team and happy, this relfect on the hotel and makes you feel at home. I got sick whilst there and they were truly amazing, it was the middle of the night and the night porter got a doctor out within minutes, the doctor (he is the owners son) treated me better than I have ever been treated in England. The whole place is very clean masses of sunloungers, a georgous pool, and the happy services of George, his wife and sweet Anna will ensure you have everything you need.Samos as an Island is terrific, loads to see and my fav the waterfalls and there are several of them.I go to Greek Islands with Thomsons usually 3 times a year and always enjoy it, however, this one has truly made an impact on me.A big thank you to everyone there. Oh one more thing they also have the Evelin car and bike rental right next door they are good value and so renting couldnt be easier.

Room Tip: Back room are bigger, ask for a kettle if there is not one in the room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 2dottie
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We choose this hotel because it has very good offer and the price was more than OK, as we wanted to explore Samos Island. The rooms are big with comfy beds and cool althoughht outside is +35 and no aircondition. Breakfast is simple, but served in a litle gazebo beside the pool which is very nice touch. In the evening there is bar working beside the pool with very simpatico bartender called George who will always manage to put a smile to your face no matter how tired are you from sightseeing, he just know with people.
I would recommed this hotel if you are on a tight budget, but bear in mind that beach is rather far, and there is no extra going on around the pool. The owners are very nice people which make sure that everything is very clean and will help you with everything you may need during your vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pythagorion
Fito Aqua Bleu Resort
#1 of 20 in Kokkari
Doryssa Seaside Resort
Doryssa Seaside Resort
#3 of 37 in Pythagorion

Been to Evelin Hotel? Share your experiences!