“Not a pleasant experience”

Maritsa's Bay Hotel
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Pythagorion
London, United Kingdom
“Not a pleasant experience”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

On checking out of this hotel after a week, ( I am so glad we weren't staying for 2 weeks), we were told to leave our luggage in reception. The woman owner said 'It is safe' and 'I am here all the time.' Do not believe her. Returning after an hour to collect our luggage, I spotted my flight bag was unzipped and thought I hadn't zipped it up properly. I thought no more of it until on arrival back in the UK, I discovered my purse was missing. I thought I had lost it. I phoned the bank to cancel all my credit/debit cards that were in my purse, but I wasn't quick enough. While we were on the flight home, some nasty, thieving low-life was withdrawing 300 Euros out of our account in Pythagoria. My purse was stolen from my flight bag while the woman owner of Maritsa Bay was supposedly looking after it. She must have left our bags unattended for quite a while. So if you have been unfortunate enough to book this hotel, then don't trust any of the staff there.
The hotel is run-down, lacks atmosphere, has a grubby feel to it and I would not recommend this place to anyone. It is awful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My main complaints about this hotel can be summarized as:
+ Very rude and non-professional owner
+ The room and especially the bathroom was dirty
+ Fake description/photos in booking.com

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Pythagorion hotels

scotland
Reviewed 21 March 2010

My Greek husband and myself booked half board at Maritsa Bay and we were disgusted and ashamed that these owners treated tourists with such disrespect. The food was terrible and we complained every day. One dinner was a plate of green lentils, salad was 2 slices of tomato and 2 slices of cucumber. Pudding was an apple or pear with knife to peal it yourself. Also fruit cocktail out of tin seemed to be the most regular pudding, without any cream or ice cream.You had to eat what was put down to you or you starved, there was no menu and no other choices whatsoever. If you asked for anything else you were told to pay for it.Wine at dinner cost 6 euros for a small bottle but you could buy this wine from any supermarket for 3 euros for a litre.Fridge cost 5 euros per day and air con did not work, it gave out hot air. If you did not have transport then you were isolated, not even a shop nearby to buy some real food.My husband felt ashamed that he was Greek.
Only good point was the view.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Maritsa Bay Studios have spectacular views across to Turkey.
If you have a studio apartment at this hotel beware, the views are 5 star, the apartments are hardly worth half a star. They are very, very basic. The "kitchen" consists of a hotplate and a very small fridge, our kitchen was dirty, as well the shelves looked like they had not been cleaned it months, decent cutlery, and cups were non existent. The mattresses on the beds are lumpy and very uncomfortable. The bathroom was not much better than the kitchen, although the shower was powerful, you could not use it on full power, because there was no shower enclosure at all, and the water just ended up running out of the bath room door and flooding the apartment.
So if you want breathtaking views, this is the place, if you want decent accommodation try some where else.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
sale
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We stayed at this excuse for a hotel july 2009 .We were booked to stay for 1 week ,could only manage 2 days ............................Thers so much bad about the Maritsa.......... apart from the overall grime and dirt ,its a souless place which is really out on a limb .Theres a hotel bus that takes you into town ,not regular enough it stops at 1-00pm and starts again at 9-00pm ish.It is totally run down and in need of a massive overhall .The thing that upset me most of all was the hotel dog Rocky ,he was tied to a tree 24/7 in the hot sun ,with not enough water and nothing to occupy him .He wast a guard dog at all ,so why tie him up ? we arrived at the hotel in the early hours and he didnt wimper .If you like animals and creepy crawlies youll find plenty at this hotel especially in your room We had leeches which were all over the place hanging on the walls waiting to suck our blood ,yuk.it was a zoo in a room So my advice to you is stay away from the Maritsa

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Rence, NG
Reviewed 25 July 2007

My main complaints about this hotel are the following:
- dirty rooms / bathroom
- radio in room not working
- poor food, with no fruit / fresh salads and similar (although this changed slightly for the better as people started complaining)
- very non-professional staff
- water constantly shifting temperature and pressure
- A/C during the day didn't cool enough and the whole hotel, not just the room was very hot
- dirty water in pool

Otherwise, the hotel has a nice view on the sea, but that's about it. Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone this hotel.

• Liked — the view...
  • Disliked — dirty and hot
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Oakland, Mi
Reviewed 24 May 2007

Booked through Greek agent - Meridian Travel ... this hotel is located near the town Pythagrion. It has a lovely pool and fantastic views of the Aegean Sea -- you can see Turkey. The owner was very hospitable - our stay was 3 nights in early May, paid 33 euro/night -- breakfast included, dinner was 9 euro (and quite good by the way). You can hike down to a sandy beach and their is a nice hike along the coastline. Hotel provides shuttle service to/from town 5 times daily. No TV in room - so bring reading material -- the lobby TV seemed to be set to a German station. We were the only Americans staying here -- most Ams. seemed to visit the Greek Islands via cruise ships. At the hotel, we arranged a day trip to Ephesus, Turkey. A great hotel to work on your tan - marble floors throughout - even on your balcony. I would stay here again -- especially at the price we paid.

My first choice of Fito Bay was already booked so this was a good alternative suggested by the agent. Most folks seemed to have rental cars -- we didn't -- seemed like a lot of money to spend for one day. I hope to post some photos later.

• Liked — marble floors - fantastic views
  • Disliked — no TV in room
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pythagorion
Mykali Hotel