“Lovely hotel - Horrible meal program”
Review of St Stefano Hotel

St Stefano Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Tsagkarada
Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you are visiting the Pelion, the St. Stefano hotel has a great location and is really a nice facility. The hotel lobby is spacious and comfortable with free wi-fi (lobby only). The breakfast room is great and the breakfast is quite good. Our room was well equipped; although the bed was very hard and the shower was teeny. The biggest issue we had was the mandatory 35 EUR per person per day meal charge. While we do like to have breakfast at the hotel, we don't like to be forced to have dinner at the hotel. They served only one option each night, and quite frankly, it wasn't the best food we had ever had. We ended up going out for dinner almost every night anyhow, and paid between 30-50 EUR for amazing meals with wine, so paying 70 EUR per day for a basic breakfast and mediocre dinner without wine just seems like a very poor value. If we went to the Pelion again we would stay somewhere else for this reason alone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tulla00

Reviewed 9 June 2013

The hotel is warm and welcoming. The location is simply wonderful: in one of the most beautiful mount Pelion forests, with sea view from rooms in both sides of the hotel (although rooms at the back have a better view). You can find restaurants within walking distance, however you certainly need a car for the nearby beaches (this is typical for most Pelion beaches).

The staff - and the owner - were very helpful and friendly and would be happy to go out of their way to assist their guests. The public areas of the hotel were easily of higher standards than the hotel's 4 stars rating. The rooms were maybe in the ranges of 3 - 3.5 stars due to minor details.

The hotel offers continental breakfast, which is fresh and tasty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. The view is breathtaking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChrDA
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I'm currently staying at the St. Stefano hotel and I'm very disappointed with myself for booking this location through my time share exchange program. I'd never been to Greece or Europe for that matter so I was hoping for a great experience but unfortunately that is not the case. First off the location. We landed in Thessaloniki and the drive to the hotel takes 4 hours. The last hour or so is up a winding mountain that you will surely get dizzy from. Once you arrive at the hotel you have to pay a mandatory 35 euro per person per day for the food in which you get no choice of ordering. For that amount of money I think I should be able to order something that I want instead of what they decide to bring me, The room is ok, nothing special and the TV gets no reception. I won't go into all the other details since another reviewer has already mentioned the issues with the card and the lights, etc. The staff is nice and all but for me the biggest issue is there is absolutely NOTHING to do anywhere near the location. If you like driving up long winding roads to an isolated location looking for nothing to do then this place is for you, otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jon r
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I began our Greece journey with the San Stefano Hotel in the Pelion peninsula, in Tsagarada. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the San Stefano, which was new and clean and very beautiful. The staff was welcoming and personable, and very helpful about plans for each day. The food was fresh, plentiful and very delicious! We sampled many Greek dishes, and enjoyed the personal attention of the wonderful staff. We loved the small villages, the fabulous views, the lovely beaches, and the many hidden gems and charming surprises of the area. Our room was wonderful; clean and modern, while the ambience of the hotel was warm and welcoming, with many nooks and crannies for reading, chatting, or having a drink. We would absolutely stay at the San Stefano again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank testorimag
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Booked this thru our Timeshare Exchange program, read the reviews and thought it would be all of that and more...well, I actually don't know what to say other than this resort should be classified a 2 star hotel, and nowhere near the likes of a resort. I will say the resort lobby area and rooms are nice, the major issues we had are numerous. 1st and foremost they only give you one key, not a big deal except if you want to keep the mini fridge on in the room. You have to keep the key in the slot inside the room to keep the power on, lights, fridge, and even the outlets lose power if you remove it, so like most people we have electronics that need to charge, laptops, cell phones etc. At least they leave the a/c on a seperate circuit, but that doesn't matter because they shut that off on you when you leave the hotel and open the window...really..hence another issue we had, ants in our room, they did move us to another room.
Free wi-fi is advertised, true, but in the lobby area only, not in your room, I guess not a big deal but a pain in the rear if you want some privacy.
The staff, there are 3 people total for the front desk, 1 guy at night, 1 guy and the Manager during the day...that's it, if you want a drink, there is no one at the bar, they seem like they ration the ice, 2 ice cubes was the most we could get in any drink and water we had at the resort, we asked for more, the quote was always "let me check with the manager" then they never return.
Dinner which you do pay for in advance is a joke. You have no pick of any food, the food plated for you and brought to your table. If you don't like it , well too bad so sad. One night for dinner they sent out a classic greek tomato cucumber salad, you know, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, olives, oregano, olive oil, and Feta....well not here, everything except the Feta...well we asked for it..and guess what..."let me check with the Manager" and they never came back.
The hotel location is difficult to find, and if you want to get anywhere, its a drive and a half to get to the beach, or any town with more than 100 people in them.
The facility in my opinion ,not fact ,is strapped for cash, how many hotels have you stayed in anywhere that shut all the lights off in the resort at night??? Well look no further, you just found it, my daughter had to run down to the lobby to do here facebook stuff and what not, I had to use the flashlight on my phone to get here there so she could see where she was going.
The absolute best thing that happened is that we got into a car accident in Volos with 3 days left to stay in Greece , we decided to happily end the stay at St. Stefanos and stay at the Domotel Voulos (see my other review), which by far was a resort , not one quite like this.
There are 3 front desk people, 1 server, and one maid that is there to asist you. No concierge, no work out room, no restaurant, no pool, no constant power supply to your room, and no lighting at night other than the front desk area.
To end this review let me say this, if you are a person or family who like hiking, or skiing with minimal luxury features, this may be the perfect spot for you. If you are a typical 4 to 5 star resort vacation family or person, then just stay away.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank carguy60490
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed at St Stefano for a week in a suite-family room. The hotel is overall very nice. It is new and extremely well mantained. The rooms are spacious and clean with stylish bathrooms. The lobby and bar area is very nicely furnished in a warm, welcoming and elegant style. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. The hotel is ideally located to reach several of the beaches of the Pelion peninsula (always by car and could not be otherwise on the steep grounds of Pelion). For our staying we agreed on half-board for the whole week through RCI. This was the first time we chose half-board, with or without RCI, and we honestly felt somewhat constrained by it. Nevertheless, while we would have certainly appreciated some more flexibility by RCI, we truly enjoyed the high standard of the meals served at St. Stefano, which also provided a good deal of exploration of the Greek culinary tradition. Four stars very well deserved.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The second leg of our trip found us in Greece. My wife always wanted to experience what this country had to offer and believe
E when I tell you we got more than we bargained for. The hotel was beautiful and Peter, constadino temo and the playful manager I will call el jefe made you feel at home. They were more than helpful to assist us in options for things to see nearby or help us find those sights we wished to venture out to. We drove 4 hours from thessaniki to tsagarada located on the Pelio peninsula, where the st stefano sits. The closest town is volos which can give you the chance to see skiathos or plan your route to other sites. I would definetly stay here again should I find myself in Greece if not for the, the beauty but to just drop in and say hello to my new found friends

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tsagkarada
Maistra
#1 of 24 in Tsagkarada
Hotel Amaltheia
Hotel Amaltheia
#5 of 6 in Tsagkarada

Been to St Stefano Hotel? Share your experiences!