“Luxurious accommodations in SW Ireland”

Trump International Golf Links & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doonbeg
Summit, New Jersey
“Luxurious accommodations in SW Ireland”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights while touring Ireland. We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage villa with our two teenage children. We each had our own balconies, private bathrooms with waterfall showers and luxurious bedding, Kitchen, living room and washer and dryer. The hotel is only 12 years old but looks as if it has been around for decades, It is located on the beach and has a wonderful golf course. My husband and son enjoyed a challenging round of golf. I felt like I was at a castle!! Wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LJMeyers
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear LJMeyers

Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind review on Tripadvisor and I am delighted to note that you and your family had a very pleasant stay with us.

Indeed, the facility is open since 2006 and has received rave reviews for both its interior design and architecture of the suite, cottages and public spaces. Our Links Golf course is a challenge for every golfer and I trust your husband and son had a memorable time.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International, Doonbeg on the occasion of a future visit to Ireland.

Joe Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Our hotel experience was less than we expected. The bar needed a complete cleaning and the flow to find the bar was totally confusing. We arrived in a bus and found the hotel to be too isolated.

The best part of our stay was the evening shebeen. The female singer was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Julie S
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank You for taking the time to share your feedback for Trump International Golf Links and Hotel, Doonbeg following your recent visit. May I apologise for your dissatisfaction with our Trump's Pub but I am pleased to note your experience in our old country cottage 'the Shebeen' was most memorable. I will be pleased to pass your compliments to our singer from that evening.

I appreciate all forms of guest feedback and we have taken immediate steps to correct the issues mentioned in your review.

I welcome you to contact me at jrussell@trumphotels.com should you wish to discuss your review further.
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Catching up on our reviews...
Our family stayed here for 2 nights in 9/2013 (when it was the Lodge at Doonbeg). This is a breath-taking hotel (and we have no interest in golf at all). It is right on the beach and golf course which is stunning.

Our "room" for my wife and I and our 2 kids consisted of a home...downstairs full living room with all the creature comforts, fireplace, full kitchen, full dining room, guest bathroom, hall closets, entrance foyer with a Downton Abbey doorbell (seriously!). Then there was the elaborate staircase leading to our upstairs hallway with 2 generous well-appointed amazingly comfortable rooms both with en suite. And the quality of the furnishings and decor was unbelievable. That's right...this was a duplex, 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, kitchen, dining room/living room place. So lovely we opted for room service...just wanted comfy food to eat in a beautiful setting...and then they even had a movie room-service pack with microwave popcorn, chips, ice-cream, candy (which they didn't even charge us extra for even though we had ordered it later that evening)...and sitting at the fireplace, watching a movie, with an incredible view of the beach and golf course was one of favorite memories in all of Ireland!

Oh, and the service was great. Included breakfast was pretty good (I mean it is Irish food afterall :)

Truly 5-star Diva...and even more Diva than we could have expected!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 5StarDivaFamily
Dear 5 Star Diva Family

Thank you for your very comprehensive and complimentary review on all aspects of your stay with us recently at Trump International Doonbeg. I am most pleased to read about all the areas of enjoyment that you and your family experienced and hopefully on the occasion of a future visit to Ireland you will allow us the opportunity to create even more fine memories of Ireland and West Clare.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here in June with my family, 11 of us total. We had several different suites and all of them were very nice. The property is stunning but Doonbeg is mainly a golf resort and for someone who is not a golfer it doesn't offer a whole lot of other amenities. We stayed for three nights and that was plenty for me. The golfers of the group enjoyed several rounds and the non golfers went horesback riding on the beach one afternoon and that was lovely. A little cold for this Florida girl but I survived. The food at all of the restaurants was very good. We enjoyed several gorgeous sunsets over the beach and a few rainbows after the rain.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Tracy Usff,

Thank you for your very kind review of Trump International, Doonbeg following your recent visit. I am very pleased to note your appreciation of the property, its location and the service you received throughout your stay.

Having been acquired earlier this year by Trump International we have plans to develop on site amenities to add to the broad range of activities recommended by our Concierge to all visiting guests. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International, Doonbeg where several more gorgeous sunsets and beautiful rainbows will be provided for your enjoyment.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Everything about this place is picturesque. The grounds and surrounding area are beautiful. The beach is directly beside the hotel and is a perfect evening walk.

I did not use the hotel facilities to sleep, I was visiting as part of a wedding party. All events were beautiful and staff were extremely helpful. The hotel kindly run a complimentary shuttle to bring you to your b&b if you're not staying on site. This runs all night, until the last guest leaves. The hospitality and good nature of staff is really refreshing!

Would definitely recommend this venue. While I cannot review the golf facilities or accommodation, the hotel itself is gorgeous and a great break away from city life!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LePotAuxRose
Dear LePot Aux Rosc

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg as part of a wedding party. May I further express my appreciation with your compliment extended to our staff who were on hand to ensure that everything was to your satisfaction.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you to Trump International, Doonbeg and have you stay over in one of our suites on the occasion of a future visit to West Clare.

With kind regards,

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at the Trump Doonbeg resort in June. I have to say it was one of the most comfortable hotels in Ireland. I was there on a golf trip with friends and truly enjoyed the accommodations. The restaurant was too good that we didn't go out of the resort to eat. The spa was good and I'm sure will get better. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Oh, the golf was exceptional as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rene I
Dear Rene,

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg. It certainly seems that you enjoyed a broad range of services and facilities throughout our resort.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back on the occasion of a future visit to West Clare where our team will be on hand to ensure a very friendly and warm welcome again at that time.

oxfordshire
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was out third stay and it works so very well for us because of our own particular circumstances. My husband's extended family are based in Kilkee throughout the summer and this particular hotel gives us somewhere lovely as a base so that we can join family. We stay in a 2 bedroom Links Cottage which really is of a superb standard. The beds are beautifully comfortable, the bed linen is of a high quality, the kitchen is well-equipped with a wide range of utensils, glasses and crockery of a high standard, the shower is good and everything is almost spotlessly clean. However, as this is a self-catering property you do need to plan ahead. For instance, there were no tissues, cotton wool or cotton buds in the bathroom, the cafetiere of coffee was not replenished, towels were not replaced on a daily basis and the bed was not made unless the bed linen was changed that day. This is not a problem, but it is worth being aware of.

One of the few downsides is that there is a bedroom upstairs for additional guests and it is just slightly unnerving not knowing if anyone else is going to be coming in through 'our' front door and if they are going to be a bit noisy. The first year we stayed here there were 2 guests upstairs for a couple of nights, but last year and this year that was not the case. We really value the peace and privacy and indeed the flexibility the room arrangement gives us, but ideally it would be nice if there was not the possibility of strangers within the same set of rooms.

We had yet another super meal in the renamed 'Trump Bar' (no escaping his presence!) and it was good to see familiar faces of staff who had served us in previous years. The mussels were excellent and I had a lovely steak. The children's portions are very generous and the service was very good.

If one were nitpicking, the upholstery on the sofa was in need of cleaning and it was not the most luxurious fabric in the world - just a little too hard-wearing and utilitarian for my tastes. However, as mentioned by previous reviewers, the huge fly in the ointment is the 5 euro per room per day 'resort fee'. This apparently covers the cost of newspapers in the main hotel, the cleaning of golf tees, golf buggy transport between the cottages and the hotel, and wi-fi. We did not go into the hotel throughout our stay with the exception of the Trump Bar and checking in and out, we don't play golf and the wi-fi did not work in our cottage. We therefore refused to pay the charge. It is expensive to stay here and it seems petty and mean-spirited to make such an additional charge.

I can see that this venue might not be for everyone. The onus really is on golf and golfers and there is very little to do on site other than play golf. However, it works really well for us. It gives us a quiet, peaceful and luxurious base while we visit family and enjoy the delights of Kilkee (!) and it is well-located in terms of being able to explore wider afield. Who knows what Trump has in store - the heavy re-branding suggests that the changes might not be subtle and no doubt the emphasis on attracting American golfers will become more significant. However, as long as the rates don't go through the roof and the cottages do not change then we will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank robbiefan
Dear Robbiefan

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Trump International Doonbeg. While I note many points of satisfaction for you which are very appreciated, please be assured that the constructive points you have raised have been taken on board also.

I am pleased to note that Mr. Trump has visited on numerous occasions, and is very positively disposed to further improvements and development over the coming years. In fact following the Winter storms of this year and trump International purchase of the property, immediate steps were taken to carry out works on the golf course to ensure that it was back in top order as soon as possible.

I am confident to say that the special ambiance you have experienced will be maintained and the level of food and service that you have received from the team will remain. Over time you will see some fine enhancement to the property which will add to your enjoyment of future stays.

Hopefully I will have an opportunity to meet with you on an occasion of a future visit and if at any time you wish to drop me an email on jrussell@trumphotels.com I would be pleased to assist you at that time.

Yours sincerely

Joe Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doonbeg
Armada Hotel
#2 of 9 in Ennis
Bellbridge House Hotel
Bellbridge House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Spanish Point

Been to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel? Share your experiences!