Free cancellation until 26/07
US$640
Danubio B&B(Doonbeg)
  • Breakfast included
Bealaha House(Doonbeg)
All reviewssmall sitefree showerslovely sitelaundry facilitieswild atlantic wayfacilities are excellentcampers kitchenthought of everythingphone chargingshort walk to the villageusual facilitiesmotor homegreat pintcaravan parkwashing linepitched our tentwithin easy walking distance
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked and fully paid upfront for a June bank hol 3 night stay in strandhill for our 12th wedding anniversairy. We were looking forward to a much needed family break with our 4 kids. Unfortunately on the thursday (arrival day) my husband had gotten delayed with his final client of the day and we were delayed getting on the road.
Received a text from Jamie Hunter asking what time we would arrive and I advised him it would be closer to 9pm if that was ok. Just as we were locking the house up, I got a text back from Jamie to say "if you are able to arrive around at, or just after 9pm we can give you a temporary space on the entry to the campsite for just for overnight, (and move into your assigned space tomorrow)but its not big enough to accommodate an awning, alternatively we can alter your arrival until tomorrow instead, just let me know. Thanks".
Rang him numerous times but It rang out on several occasions. When eventually I did get through to him I explained that we had gotten delayed (running our own business sometimes requires our delayed attention) and that we couldn't take up his offer of a pitch outside as we needed the awning to sleep all 6 of us and our dog. I reasoned that a 9pm arrival would be worst case scenario as we would most likely arrive earlier. I quickly became irate at Jamie's cool, smug attitude towards our predicament - honestly I felt he was enjoying rhyming out all his rules and red-tape.
My husband took the phone to plead with this man, but of course, to no avail. Hubby asked him could he notify the campsite security man of our late arrival (we were talking 30 mins late here, not at the cost of disturbing sleeping residents at all hours!!) but no, that was not an option either, there was simply no mercy for the fact that we has 4 dissapointed kids listening onto this conversation with tears in their eyes. My husband asked for a refund to be told that we weren't entitled to one as we broke the terms of our contract by arriving after 8.30pm!!! Eventually my husband just ended the phonecall as it was only serving to satisfy the sadistic needs of one person.

Thankfully we rang around and were heartily welcomed to enniscrone co Sligo at 9.10pm that evening. I received another text from Mr Tuner to say that he was cancelling our stay for the following 2 nights (as if we had any intention of now staying there anyways) and refunding our card for friday and saturday (minus the €36 for the unused thursdsay night pitch).
I did inform Mr Turner of strandhill that I would be leaving a review about our unpleasant encounter - I took the 2 weeks to really mull over the situation and reflect on what happened to us before writing this review as I feel its important to be fair to all concerned in these type of unfortunate situations, but ultimately campers need to be aware a simple detour, puncture, wrong turn or other minor mishap could end up costing you and spoiling your well earned break. No doubt Mr Turner will be swift with his defence to this this review, but bottom line is we are caravaning and camping for a lot of years now and NEVER have we ever met such rigidity rudeness from a campsite owner. Perhaps his rules, rigidity and lack of compassion would be far better utilized in an industry other than hospitality. Horribly disappointing

Room Tip: be cautious in your dealings with this man
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
StrandCamping, Owner at Strand Camping, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I am Jamie Hunter the owner of Strandcamping Doonbeg. I am the person who spoke to you over the phone, I thought I should clarify this as it would not be fair to confuse your review with another campsite in a different County with a similar name.

We have some very simply and basic rules on our campsite they are clearly stated in many places and repeated during the booking process. One of our rules is our closure time of 8.30pm for new arrivals and the campsite barrier is closed at 9pm. One of the reasons for the closing time is to ensure there is no vehicle movement after 9pm to promote a quiet, safe and peaceful environment for all campers.

When you made your booking you stated your arrival time would be 6pm, your booking confirmation again repeated our closure times. We had already had to turn away a number of people who wanted to stay over the period of your booking as we were at our capacity, so when you did not arrive at 6pm we sent a text asking you up date your arrival time. We also reminded you again of our closure time. You said it would be after 9pm before you would arrive, and when we asked if you could get here any earlier your replied "only if we flew"

We did offer you one of the three pitches outside of the barrier but you declined this due to your awning.

We then had a further telephone conversation during which both you and your husband shouted at me, demanded your money back and threatened to write negative reviews across various social media. In your review you stated I was cool and smug but the reality is I simply did not shout back at you I calmly repeated our closing time and the offer of a pitch outside the barrier.

Strandcamping is a very small campsite and the pitches are accessed off the entry and exit road therefore when people arrive they will be driving past pitches aleady occupied hence why we want to keep this disturbance to a minimum.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After driving for hours we were refused entry to camp site. Had paid online. I have a converted van. Guess if you don't have a fancy motor home stay away. Stayed in Nagles with no problems. Luckily we found Green Acres in Kilkee so wasn't a complete waste of journey.

1  Thank devaneyjoesph
jimiol, Owner at Strand Camping, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, it helps to highlight a very important point in that we take campers' safety and wellbeing very seriously at our campsite to the degree that we will only permit camping vehicles onsite which have been specificaly created or suitably adapted for habitation purposes. It is definately not a matter of vehicle value, in fact we welcome a full variety of camping vehicles from ultra modern to preloved and restored. Within our booking process we do ask for the full vehicle details, to include make, model and size. This information, when supplied, can assist us in evaluating the vehicle's suitability in relation to our terms and conditons of use prior to arrival. We are sorry we were unable to accommodate you, upon arrival we immediately refunded you in full to enable you to make alternative arrangements.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Wonderful campsite on the bay in Doonbeg and just a short walk to the village. Location is great, facilities are excellent and the owners are really helpful and friendly.
Amanda and Jamie clearly have but a lot of thought and hard work in to this site and they deserve to be successful.
Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magbill2014
StrandCamping, Owner at Strand Camping, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and intend to come back.
It has taken us a while to get the campsite into the condition it is today, when set off we decided to turn strandcampingdoonbeg into a site that we would chose to stay on in the hope that others would appreciate some of our little touches.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Couldn’t wait to get back to Strand Camping & wasn’t disappointed, Jamie & Amanda run a top class Site, spotlessly clean & well serviced. Lovely beaches close by & literally 8/10 minute walk into the lovely village of Doonbeg, already looking forward to my return visit

2  Thank Nuala56

Hi Nuala, thank you for writing your review and for re visiting us. I can’t promise the weather will be as good next time you stay but I’ll do my best.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

This is the best campsite we have visited in Ireland. Both Amanda and Jamie work hard on keeping this campsite clean and tidy and enjoyable for all. The facilities are great and shower and toilet spotless at all times. Very prompt when booking online and exceptional value for money in Ireland.

Room Tip: A must stay if in the area
1  Thank gdp2015
StrandCamping, Owner at Strand Camping, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are finding that more and more people are coming to our campsite after reading reviews posted by people who have stayed here.
We do pride ourselves on providing or at least trying to provide good value for money.
All the best.