“Leisurely dinner turned into quick bite and swift departure! ”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Trim Castle Hotel

Trim Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Trim
Dublin, Ireland
“Leisurely dinner turned into quick bite and swift departure! ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Tonight's experience was disappointing to say the least. After having enjoyed the food at Trim castle hotel some years ago at a wedding I persauded my husband to veer off track and have dinner here. When we arrived we could see that it was clearly busy..which is a good sign. We seated ourselves and waited. There was a look of terror in the eyes of the wait staff. It was like feeding time at the zoo and they were clearly understaffed. The tables were not cleared, everyone seemed to be trying to get their attention, there seemed to be an issue with people's bills, the chairs and tables were filthy and there was a strange smell. We got up to leave but then decided to stay as I had assured my companion that the food was good. After an ordeal ordering we were presented with our food. While the soup given was not the soup we were advised of we tucked in. It was absolutely awful. Everything seemed overdone and flung onto the plate. It was clearly the results of a kitchen under pressure. And the ingredients were definitely not fresh. Am sure it's a one off and today's experience was a culmination of a lot of different factors. A good clean and a few extra staff may have done the trick.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank CLKS25
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Trim Castle Hotel recently. I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the food & standard of service in our Bailey Bar - this is certainly not the standard at our Hotel and I will be speaking to our Head Chef & Bar Manager about the comments you have made.

I hope that perhaps you might afford us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future. If so, please contact me personally on preilly@trimcastlehotel.com.

Kind Regards,

Patrick Reilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Finnish first
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Dublin is nice but if you don't care to stay in a big city the night before your flight, Trim is the place to be! The Trim Castle Hotel is beyond nice! The rooms are very large as well as the bathroom and they all have a balcony. If you are lucky, you might get one that has a view of Trim Castle.

2 Thank kickaroo77
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay on tripadvisor.

I was delighted to receive such positive comments and your 5 out of 5 rating which I will gladly pass on to the team here in Trim.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Trim Castle Hotel, in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We where on our way home from our honeymoon and when we touched down in dublin airport we decided ease the trip home by staying in a hotel.

We checked online decised to spend a couple of days in trim, near the castle, so contacted trim castle hotel.

My wife called them and explained that we were coming home from our honeymoon and would relly like a room with a nice view.

The staff were very friendly and confirmed the booking, not only that, on arrival they put us in the gorgeous honey moon suite! with a picture vista view of trim castle opposite us and included 3 course meal for 2 !!

Of all the places we had been on our honeymoon, the upgrade we were given at trim castle hotel was deffinetly one of the best, and our time spent around the castle grounds will deffinetly be ont of the most unforgettable experiences we will of had!

2 Thank J P and Carolin... F
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for the kind review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with others on Trip advisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I have shared your kind words with all the team here at Trim Castle Hotel and they join me in thanking you.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and thank you again for your great review.

Yours sincerely

New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

What a wonderful view we had of the "Braveheart" Castle right outside our window. This was a great beginning to our trip to Ireland. The staff at the front desk were just positively wonderful! The room was clean and of good size. We were celebrating our Anniversary and told them at the front desk and they upgraded us to the Bridal Suite at no extra charge. We looked right onto the front of the castle. There were plenty of places to chose from for food right there on the property. This is the best hotel in Trim if you want the romance and fun of the Castle across the street.

Room Tip: The Bridal Suite! Has a perfect view of the Castle whether in bed or out!
1 Thank aml4e
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your stay with us. I am delighted to read that we helped you celebrate your anniversary and that the team looked after you and your partner so well, I have passed your lovely comments on to them. I do hope that we will have the chance to be part of your next celebration and help you to relax and enjoy Trim.

Thank you again for such lovely comments.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I Stayed in Trim Castle with my family for a family wedding , and from the time we entered the hotel we were treated like royalty. the staff couldn't do enough for us. The hotel was immaculate ,the food divine, and the whole atmosphere was superb. the hotel gardens and castle was just as tranquil as any exotic destination. and the weather was beautiful that day :) with no rain.
I would highly reccommend Trim Castle.

Room Tip: very big rooms, the family room had 2 queen beds and a double sofa bed . big enough for 6/7.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank sharonharding
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Trim Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that your stay with us exceeded all our expectations. I’m particularly pleased that you were so impressed with the staff as we strive to achieve excellent standards of customer service. I’ll be sure to pass all your compliments on to all the team here. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Trim Castle Hotel again in the future.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a very modern hotel directly across the street from the castle. The bar serves all the local spirits and the restaurant serves excellent meals. The rooms were roomy and very comfortable. We paid 139 euros for the executive double room. A great value.

1 Thank Bill B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trim Castle Hotel. I’m delighted that you were so impressed with your experience at the Hotel. It’s great that you enjoyed your meal and wer pleased with your bedroom. I’ll be sure to pass all your comments on to the team.

Many thanks again for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and we would be very happy to welcome you back in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in the hotel on the weekend of 27th/29th June. I had booked the break as a surprise to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When we arrived the sun was beaming and Trim Castle was a magnificent background to the hotel. Parking was plentiful and the receptionist was very pleasant and informative. The room was large and comfortable but a bit modern and furniture a bit sparse. It was also very warm, as was the entire hotel. We had to leave the window open all the time but that was no problem. We had an issue with the room safe (my fault!) and there was no remote for the tv but both issues were sorted very quickly and with no fuss.
We went to the bar for a bit of lunch and the food was very nice. This is where we met Emmett for the first time and I have to say he was a most pleasant and helpful server. He served us food and drink on a number of occassions throughout the weekend and he is a great asset to the hotel with his pleasant manner and chatty personality. We had dinner in Jules restaurant that night and the food was unusual but lovely. It was a five course set dinner with each course served at a nice interval. You never felt rushed while you were eating.

Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of items.We did a tour of the Castle (very educational and interesting) on Saturday and a had a stroll around Trim. Its a small but picturesque town. We eat in the bar that evening and the food was very well priced and as nice as the restaurant. When we had returned to the hotel in the afternoon a wedding party had just arrived. There had been a wedding on the Friday also and while I was concerned there might be issues with noise there was no problem at all. Unfortunately that wasn't the case of Saturday! The crowd at the wedding were rough and ready to say the least. I was in the lift at one stage and they were bringing up boxes of beer to their rooms. It was no surprise then that at 4am Sunday morning we were awoken by the sound of a female screaming and shouting abusive language outside the room next to ours.This went on for 15mins before it progressed to her kicking the door down and shouting even louder. Other guests passed through the hallway screaming and singing for the next hour. We didn't call reception because these guests were very drunk and agressive and i didn't want a scene that might result in some porter or manager being injured by these louts. After an hour or so it all calmed down and we were able to go back to sleep.

The next morning the father of the bride and another wedding guest were sitting at a table across from us at breakfast. The restaurant was packed and there was many tourists, and some kids, there. The language these two "gents" were using, at the top of their voice, was appalling and it made me embarrassed to be Irish. I don't blame the hotel in any way for the behaviour of these morons but it did take away from a lovely weekend. I wouldn't discourage anybody from staying in this hotel because of this unfortunate experience and I will return with my wife again.

1 Thank uscitytripper
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Trim Castle Hotel.. I was disappointed to read that your Saturday night stay was disrupted by other guest attending an event at the hotel. You have my sincere apologies that the function taking place in the hotel negatively affected your stay. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard.

I was pleased to read that you were impressed with the service you received as we aim to achieve excellent standards in customer service. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team. Many thanks again for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us.

Patrick Reilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trim
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Navan
Newgrange Hotel
Newgrange Hotel
#2 of 4 in Navan

Been to Trim Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!