“Lovely hotel, Great staff & service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trim Castle Hotel

Trim Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Trim
Kilkenny
“Lovely hotel, Great staff & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and 3 year old son booked in here for an overnight stay, B & B and evening meal.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly, professional receptionist and even though we were early and presumed we'd have to wait around until 3pm our room was actually ready.
The room itself was very nice and spacious, huge bed and nice seating area and bathroom.

When we went to the bar for our meal we again were greeted by extremely friendly staff and even though they were busy we were seated promptly.
We ordered drinks for my husband and I and without being asked the server brought a diluted juice drink for our son who was thrilled, his meal was also brought out straight away again without it being specifically requested and it really is the little things like that that make all the difference. A happy toddler makes happy parents and it's great to see a hotel just using common sense with regards to this and understanding that a young child just doesn't have the patience to wait for long periods of time without their food!

Breakfast was very good, plenty to choose from-full Irish to cereals, fruit, yoghurts, and tasty pastries.

We would definitely recommend the Trim Castle hotel and would make no hesitation in returning ourselves.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review and share your experiences with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Trim Castle Hotel I am also equally happy that you enjoyed the food offering for Dinner & for breakfast.

To conclude, thank you again for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Trim Castle Hotel again in the future.

Patrick Reilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Flower Mound, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed at Trim Castle Hotel on our first night in Ireland. it is a nice hotel with a beautiful view of Trim Castle just across the street. There is a patio where you can sit outside and view the castle. Trim is a quaint little town and we enjoyed walking around. The one drawback was that there was a wedding in the hotel that night and it was very loud all night long. I would stay here again, but not on a summer weekend night when a wedding party might be going on loud and late.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review I'm pleased you found your stay overall enjoyable and you would think of staying with us again On your next trip kindly contact me directly as i would like to arrange your booking to ensure your room and sleeping arrangements are perfect.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future to Trim Castle Hotel.

Dungannon, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I were very pleased with our stay in Trim Castle Hotel. The staff were brilliant, the room was clean and spacious with castle view. My only dissapointment was the meal in the hotel resturant which was included as part of our package. The menu for it was at the back of the menu and was far too limited; indeed the entire menu lacked variety and the service was slow.

Room Tip: Request a room with a castle view and make sure to pay the 3 Euro to go in and see it and the extra...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words following your recent visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves and will pass this on to all of the team here. Please do come back and see us as soon as you can, we would be delighted to welcome you again to Trim Castle Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, a little under staffed, doesn't have a pool but your able to use the one in the town for free. The bar and the restaurant are very nice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bar does a very nice roast lunch everyday and the staff are very nice. And nice big enough comfortable rooms.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Em
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us at Trim Castle Hotel.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently attended a family wedding in Trim Castle and was excited as I had never been to Trim before. Trim itself looks beautiful and I hope to go back down soon to look around but I most definitely will not be staying in Trim Castle.

The wedding itself was really lovely and the staff were nice although I really didn’t have much dealings with them. The room where the wedding was is beautiful and the dance floor with the lights is fantastic. All in all it was a superb wedding but unfortunately once we went back to our room the experience went downhill.

When we had checked in earlier in the day we literally dropped our bags had a quick look and left to go back to the wedding, big mistake, I’ll know in future to stay in the room and check everything is ok before I walk back out.

When we got to our room and got into bed I could hear a loud noise, what I can only describe as ‘loud humming’. I pointed this out to my husband and he thought it was perhaps the bathroom fan and would go off after a few minutes, it wasn’t the bathroom fan nor did it go off. I eventually fell asleep and woke during the night to use the bathroom only to be left lying awake for over an hr due to the noise. I again fell asleep due to sheer exhaustion and when I woke again I was only delighted to get up and go for breakfast. The thumping headache didn’t help! Although I was at a wedding I spent most of the night dancing and didn’t drink excessively, I expected to have a little headache but what I ended up with was horrible.

After breakfast I went for a shower and our room was equipped with a disabled toilet and shower (neither myself or my husband require disabled facilities, so this was another thumbs down for the room) Anyway after a horrible shower, the shower head and pressure was awful, I got out to discover the floor was flooded and my clothes which I had on the floor were wet, I’m guessing its because the shower is obviously lacking good seals or something.
All I wanted to do was check out and go home.

To have paid so much money for the room and to be so disappointed was heartbreaking. I have 2 small children and a night away was meant to be a luxury but I’d have preferred to have let them wake me up at 7am rather then waste my money in the hotel.

Upon check out I was slightly annoyed as we never got asked the usual ‘was everything ok with your stay’ so before we walked away from the desk I explained about the noise to the girl. I said I didn’t know how anyone had never complained about it before and she said they hadn’t. The manager Patrick came out to us and again said they’d never had a complaint but then explained about a plant room being above the room! This basically meant that the noise in my room was coming from the plant room above it which feeds every fan in the entire hotel!! My husband was shocked; he told me on the way home that a company he works with spent thousands soundproofing their plant room to avoid any form of noise leaking out. Patrick did offer us a complimentary lunch but we had to get home to our children so we declined, I don’t think I’d have enjoyed it.

There was also an issue with prices, we were quoted by the hotel (my sister had rang them) €140for a double and €180 for a triple. When we checked out we were charged €145 for the double and €195 for a triple. My sister tried to argue the price but because we didn’t have it in writing it was our word against the hotels and they were never going to give in.

I would say if you’re going their AVOID the 3rd floor just in case you are put in room 303, it’s not worth it, or better still stay in the B&B that’s half the price and only a 5 min walk away.

I also think it’s crazy that they charge you €3 parking to park you car in their underground car park, I mean it’s not a cheap hotel and they make more than enough off you its crazy to then charge for parking! Wifi is also not free. Lets just say if I ever get invited to a wedding there again I wont be staying in the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor. It has a gorgeous seating area on the 3rd floor so go up and see that but other...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Elaine04120412
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at Trim Castle Hotel and for your feedback received. Please accept our apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with. I would appreciate it if you could contact me personally at preilly@trimcastlehotel.com, so that I can rectify this for you.

Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband & young son stayed in Trim Castle Hotel for 2 nights. When we arrived in Trim, we saw the wow factor! What a Castle! Then we looked across the road we said it again! What a beautiful little Hotel! The staff were courteous & helpful & the family room was extremely large, very clean & beds comfortable. Breakfast was lovely, great locally made sausages too! It was fantastic to use the third floor terrace few, a beautiful view of Trim, & of course, the Castle! We also used the leisure facilities & pool which you can use courtesy of the Hotel at the Aura leisure center. I wished we could have stayed longer. We are already planning another visit!
Go on, book it!

Julie, Ballymena

Room Tip: Family rooms are very open & airy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us at Trim Castle Hotel. I am so happy to read your excellent feedback and delighted that from start to finish you had such an enjoyable stay. I am particularly pleased to read your comments on the friendliness of our staff, as this is something which we pride ourselves on so to have it acknowledged by guests makes it all worthwhile!

Again sincere thank you and we hope to see you again very soon.

Folly Beach, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Town of Trim on the River Boyne in Ireland's picturesque Boyne Valley is a must-do for any European Vacation. Located in Historic County Meath, Trim boasts a plethora of medieval hot spots & off the beaten path treasures such as Trim Castle, Newtown, St. Mary's Abby, the Yellow Steeple, The Sheep's Gate, St. Peter & Paul's Cathedral & more. The restaurants & pubs of Trim are some of the most impressive in the county, and for the outdoorsy types, there's great kayaking on the Boyne. But the glue that ties it all together is the Trim Castle Hotel. The third floor Terrace view of the castle, setting for the movie "Braveheart," is worth the stay alone, but couple that with an excellent staff, pristine accommodations & amenities, top-notch traditional Irish breakfast served daily, an eclectic menu in Jules Restaurant, and the hotel's walking-distance accessibility to everything Trim, and you have one of East Ireland's best-kept secrets. I'm already making plans to go back next year. Cheers & enjoy... \m/

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Location
1 Thank Ben B
TrimCastlehotel, Manager at Trim Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Trim Castle Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel & all the medieval sites that are located on our door step. I was especially pleased to read that you thought the atmosphere of Trim Castle Hotel was amazing, as we take pride in showcasing the hotel & the town to all of our visitors. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Trim Castle Hotel in the near future.

Patrick Reilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trim
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Bellinter House
Bellinter House
#1 of 4 in Navan

Been to Trim Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!