“Un biglietto per La Darsena, per favore!”
Review of Hotel La Darsena

Hotel La Darsena
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Agropoli
Mississauga, Canada
“Un biglietto per La Darsena, per favore!”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Random Thoughts: I apologize for my grammatical errors in advance... LoL

Italy review:

Airport:Rome
I left Toronto aug 31 10:30pm-ish; and arrived in Rome Sunday.
I booked with Air Transat; and a man with a sign was looking for guests of the La Darsena Hotel just in front of the baggage claim. It's a good thing I spotted him because I am used to meeting with the rep just outside of the airport (based on all of my travel experience). We waited as we were missing other people. We left; and we shared the bus with people who arrived from Montreal 1-2hrs before us. So, while there were still ppl missing, we left because the Montreal passengers have already been waiting long. I don't know if the other Toronto passengers were found and sorted :s Yikes, that would suck if it were me. So, please be on the look out for rep if your pkg includes transportation as it takes 4-5hours to get to the hotel.

Before getting to the baggage area, you have to hop on a indoor train to get where you need to go...just follow the crowd and you will be fine.

Drive to Rome:
Like I said, it takes about 4-5hrs to get there. There was an 30 mins stop so guests could use the washroom and a snack. I got their famous buffalo mozzarella sandwich; I love that cheese. I bought a bottle of 2Lwater for 3euros in fear I won't have access to water at the hotel, as I was not to familiar with the layout just yet.
Honestly, I did not really feel the long drive as I was tired and slept most of the ride. The bus had air and was relatively comfortable.

Hotel check in:
Pretty painless. They give you the key but the girl at the desk didn't really know how to speak English so you sorta have to figure out to direct yourself.
I was in room 211, but the elevator states "1" for rooms on the second floor; and "2" for the third floor. So, I was riding the elevator confused until made this self realization. There are rooms on the first floor but they are mainly the ground floor. There is no one to assist you with the bags; so don't wait around. There is no money exchange or ATM at the hotel so get your euros at home as it was rushed at the airport with big line ups. There are banks 20 mins right from the hotel but there are no money exchange at the banks just ATMs. It will only give you an option of Visa from the list when you put your debit card in; but its ok, they really are referring to your debit card. The first time I had to re-enter my card as I was afraid they were going to charge me on my visa but because I amusing my debit card another tourist told me to just choose the option listed and treated as though it is debit even though it lists visa.

Room:
Decent size for one or two; I wasn't planning to stay there for long anyway, as I will be out and about. I had a side view of Lake Como and I had Juliet balcony which means you can step out but there was only enough room to put a chair out. I ended up sitting on the actual balcony frame to get a better view of the Lake. This room had good exposure to the sun; and so I was able to tan from my room. It was directly above the lobby so I was able to get free wifi most of the time. Free wifi, in general, was only accessible to the lobby but because I stayed in the room right above it, I was able to get signal. You have to get the wifi code from the front desk before getting access, so be sure to get that.
TV had no English speaking channels which was horrible for me, as I like having it on as I change and if I'm in the room. Not even ONE! the hotel should at least get one movie channel. No iron; i had to spray water on my clothes and let the wrinkles air dry. No alarm clock; I used the wake up call and my iPhone alarm. The walls were thin. Lol. You can hear your neighbour. Shower was tiny and I am 5'1 and size small....so for me to say that it is small...it is small. There is an emergency plug you can pull in case of emergency in the washroom but I accidentally pulled it one day; and no one came, so If you think you are going to need it; I would test it out.
My Montreal friends got the upgrade of the sea view; and it was absolutely amazing! The front view balcony alone was enough to sell me on the room; but they were there for 2 wks so there are only a few available. I saw their pics and it was incredible views. There is also free wifi at the bar terrace which had a great view of the lake. Bring DVDs and a. Laptop if you need to watch something in English when you are in the room.

Tours:
Angelo did not come until Monday; and mostly spoke in French. My French friends that met on the bus were nice enough to ask him to please speak English on my behalf. They were great people. Tours either 50euro or 70euro. When one of the guests said that I might as well do it on my own; the prices were dropped to 45 euros the next day. The tours were not organized in terms dates and prices; he had to return on Tuesday to finalize base on what people preferred to go. So if you haven't done your research on where you want to go, you are put on the spot to choose your preference; and base on that, the days of tours will reflect the high demand. I.e if no one wanted to go to Pompeii, the tour will be postponed next week versus doing it this week.
So, I was a bit upset about that because I already lost a day on Tuesday as the dates of tours weren't set; and I leave on that Sunday.

Isle of Capri:
So, I went to Island of Capri on Wednesday for 70euro about 2hrs ride via bus and boat to get there; and another 2 to get back. It was 7am to 6pm tour. It is extra if you want to go to the higher parts of Capri ...11euros for the 3 buses ride up ther; I opted not to go and just stayed to shop the stores at the dock. I also took my time to eat. But I did regret not going up to see what's what. It was expensive but I heard it was beautiful up there. On the boat ride, you will pass the Amalfi Coast and Positano. So because of that, it was worth the 70 euros as you get boat "tour" on the ride over there.

Sorrento/Paestum:
Thursday I went to Sorrento/Paestum for 45euros via bus. We went to the city of Sorrento first but only had 2-3hours; I only had time to really just walk around and take pics; had a gelato; and saw the Dali Salvador Art Gallery Exhibit; the cathedral was closed.
We had to meet back at the bus to head to Paestum, which was about 10mins away from the hotel. Arriving Paestum it was 10 euros to see both the museum and the ruins. You can see the ruins on the outside but it is fenced in, so if you want to take pics, it is the better value to just pay the 10euros. I felt ths tour was very rushed. We left at 8:30am and was back 5:30pm. Sorrento was a bit more energetic than Agropoli and so it would be worth a full day trip to go back if I had the time. But I didn't.

Santa Maria:
Friday was suppose to be the Almafi coast for 45euros. I didn't go as I already saw on the way to Capri. Although I am sure the tour would take you into the citY and give you a better experience seeing the coast. I went to the city of Santa Maria instead. It was about 20-30mins away from the hotel by bus. It was 1.60 euro one way which you can purchase the tix at the hotel. They didn't have it when I asked so I met a couple of ladies going the same way and we went on the bus together; they allowed us to get on and let us purchase the tix at the cafe by the bust stop when we arrived at Santa Maria. So, going back, I purchased the tix at the same cafe for another 1.60 euros to go back; just tell them you would like to be alerted when you are approaching the stop just before the hotel. Just familiarize your surroundings and you will know when the stop is approaching or sit at the front and get to know the driver to ensure he doesn't forget about you.
Note; there is better beach here. So, if you have time make it a full day and bring your swim suit and towels to shop the first part of the day and relax the second half of the day. Trust me...you won't need too much time shopping as it is very small little town. I didn't know how it would be so I didn't take anything with me and left before lunch so I can return to the hotel in time to eat lunch and lounge at the beach there.

Old Agropoli/Lake Como:
Saturday I walked around the city of agropoli. To get to the old Agropoli and village: go up the hill-driveway from the hotel (2mins); turn right, passing the cigar newsstand (which also sells Peroni beers for 1 euro! And 2L water for 88 cent euro); keep going straight where you will see the beach on your right; when you walked past the beach area, you will see an Esso gas station on the right and a statue of Mary on the left (in the cross roads); this should be roughly 20mins from the hotel at this point depending how you walk; make a right; keep going straight where you see a outlet store selling cheap tops and shorts for 3 or 5 euros; keep going straight all the way up until you see shops and restaurants; turn right and you should see the stairs that lead you up to the old castle....if you have a DsLR, take it up with you on this walk as there are great views of the beach and Marina from the castle. Saturday was the tour of the buffalo mozzarella cheese factory and wine ....they show you how to make it; and they also give you the food and wine to drink during the tour. It was 70euros so passed to go on the Agropoli self guided tour which cost me nothing but the things I bought. Sunday was the tour for Pompeii for 45euros but I was already leaving at 7am. There were also a Rome at night tour for 45euro which basically included only the ride as you had to pay for your own dinner etc. I didn't get the details as I would have been gone already.

Food:
People were complaining about the hotel food on the reviews I read before I left; but honestly, I was never hungry! There was nothing I ate where I said to myself, omg that is awful or oh gawd I won't eat that. Everything was great! And the ladies serving us were the same three for the entire week; and they worked the whole day.night; everyday I was there!
I don't like wine and I always opted out to drinking it when I am home; bit over there, I drank the two bottles of wine they served with lunch and dinner Italy taught me how to drink! Lol they also give a bottle of water for both dinner and lunch. Appetizer, Entree, desert. I thought it was an amazing value for what I paid.

Location:
I thought at first, it seemed isolated.
However, because of all the destinations I wanted to go to; it was actually great location! I didn't research the location enough because it was a last minute trip; but if I had, I probably would have gotten more out of the trip.

First impression of hotel: meh :/ dated. Omg did I make the right choice? But after awhile you forget about 3 star quality and you begin to treat as home away from home. Overall, I thought it was an amazing value for what paid.....and I paid single supplements so that speaks volumes!
I would recommend La Darsena and Agropoli. I had a great time...solo and all! I made great friends with other travelers. Lower your expectations and just appreciate the food, culture and scenery! It is worth the trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Serenjdipity

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We went to La Darsena for the last two weeks of July 2013. The holiday went very well. Our tour guide Angelo was well informed and hospitable. The location was very close to town and we loved walking the beach boardwalk. We ate at a table right at the window and we has the same umbrella and chairs from our second day until trips end. The lifeguard will sign you up or the front desk will. This holiday was so much better than all inclusive s in the Caribbean. No fighting for a chair every day! The food was good and you had choices daily. Two bottles of wine daily. We had white at lunch and Red at dinner. The serving staff are wonderful. Ask for an English menu. You can also ask for ice at the bar. This is Europe and they don't have ice machines. No room fridges either. You can rent one but its not cheap. The first floor rooms have kitchenettes so that's another way to do it! There is a grocery store 5 min walk away. Lots of families so this is a kid friendly resort. Next time we will do one week at this hotel and one week in Rome. So much to see! We loved this hotel and this holiday. There were three tours included. Easy! The trains close so you can do things on your own. In Rome the metros easy and affordable. The air transat hotel, ergife is far from everything so use the metro. Taxis cost a lot 25 dollars one way. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cathy S
Kitchener
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My Wife, 4 year old, and myself travelled to Agropoli with transat holidays in early may. I'm always a little sceptical about taking transat over an ocean, but they were ok. The flight there was pretty lousy just because it was an older plane, but the flight back was better because we were on one of their new planes. Needless to say travelling with a 4 year old on a long flight is difficult, so a modern plane with personal entertainment is a plus.

La Darsena is a nice little hotel in an unfortunate location. It's not very close to anything, the bulk of downtown is a 15 minute walk, and the train station is about 40 minutes walking. The old city is about 45 minutes walking and the port is further still.

Agropoli is a nice town, the old city is pretty nice, but there are probably nicer places to stay in the area.

As for our room, we had a second floor room with a nice view of the ocean and old city. The bed was large enough and they put a cot in our room for our son. Flat screen in the room if you want to see what tv in other countries is like. I think there are two english channels. They have wifi at the hotel but you have to pay, I think it was about 3 euros for 4 hours. The room also has a ridiculously small shower that leaked unless you closed the doors right. My wife also found it small, and she's very slim. Overall, the room was fairly standard.

The restaurant at the hotel was pretty good for an all inclusive, my wife is a vegetarian and she had no problems if she told them in advance what she wanted. We didn't eat at the restaurant very often because we were out sightseeing during most of the meal times except breakfast, which was fairly standard cereal, fruit, and some sweets, with coffee from a machine. Mealtimes are pretty short, so if you miss them, you are out of luck. Ask for your lunch packed the night before and they will make you a couple of sandwiches, fruit, and water to eat while you are travelling. it's a pretty nice touch.

it was too cold to swim while we were there, but the beach looked ok. Sand was soft and dark, they cleaned the beach every day. If you are looking for calmer seas, go further down the coast to salerno or amalfi, as Agropoli is considerably windier than these towns.

The staff at the hotel were all very friendly, though they didn't speak a lot of English. French is a little easier, so if you have some highschool french, you might have to try it out to see if you can get what you want.

The train is pretty good, but you have to get a schedule because there are a few hours each day when trains don't go. Buying tickets can also be a little difficult, but we didn't really have a problem, just remember to cancel your ticket in the yellow machine or you will probably get into a very confusing conversation with the ticket checker.

You might want to check out la mare hotel, it's the same owners but it's closer to downtown. We tried to get it, but they couldn't put 3 people in a room.

As for sights that you need to see while you are there: Pompei is amazing, Salerno is a pretty nice town with some great food, Amalfi and Positano are very nice little towns. Paestum is kind of neat, but compared to pompei, it's not quite as impressive. There are also some pretty nice restaurants in Agropoli, just walk downtown and stop in for some very affordable and great meals.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tripkids
Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We were at this hotel at the end of May, 2013. The hotel is immaculately clean, has basic necessities, nothing fancy. The food was delicious and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. We were given 1 bottle of wine at lunch for 2 persons and another bottle of wine at supper.
However, southern Italy has litter everywhere, it is generally a mess. There was a storm and the garbage from the street gutters washed down onto the beach. It looked as if a garbage truck dumped its load there. Four days later, the garbage was still not cleaned up and you couldn't find the sand due to all the filth on the beach. I watched the maintenance man rake the beach the first day we were there before the storm. He dug holes in the sand and buried the litter. There were metal pieces in the sand. Wear your shoes.
If you are interested in seeing marvellous sights , this is a super location. If you want to sit on the beach, go elsewhere. We went to northern Italy after this stay, what a difference, very clean.

Room Tip: Ocean view is good, no road noise. 710 or 711
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank schatzi
Stoney Creek
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to this trip. First of all, the Rome airport is dirty and disgusting, smells like people were urinating on the walls. Second of all, if you plan to have a car, the drive to the hotel is about 3 to 4 hours. Make sure you have a GPS that is in English. When we arrived at the hotel, parking was very minimal on a dirt lot. Service at the front desk was very rude, they did not speak English at all. Rooms were worse than a college dorm, airconditioner did not work. No one told us we had to book chairs by the water, when we checked in. We found out that by the lifeguard who spoke a little English when a couple was yelling at us in Italian. Food was served at specific times, if you were not there then you were out of luck. Also a table was assigned to you, and that was the only table you had to sit at.
After all this, we thought, at least the food should be amazing, because we were in Italy. WRONG!! Pasta was drenched with olive oil with no flavour to it. By the way, they use their garlic as decorations on the wall, not cooking with it. We had beef stew, chickpea soup, and for dessert a pear. Yes, a pear, put on a plate, not even sliced. The house wine was disgusting, the red was actually a weird pink, purple colour. When I asked for a salad or parmasan cheese, the wait staff never came back to our table. When I finally got a salad which was just lettuce, the challenge was to get some balsamic and oil after that. The food was awful, McDonalds would of tasted better. Tipping these people didn't even help in getting better service.
We attempted to go out and eat at a restaurant outside of the hotel. Not much better. Had a pizza and it was drenched with mozzarella cheese, about 3 inches of it. People drive fast and no rules, so watch yourself at all times. We were sitting at a cafe when an older gentleman got hit crossing the road. People let him lay there on the hot pavement and cars were honking to get around him. My husband and I were trying to get someone who understood English to call an ambulance. It was very hot that day, the poor man's skin must of been burning on the concrete. We tried to help him and stayed there till an ambulance arrived. This was about 35 minutes, considering it was only 2 blocks away from a hospital. Worst trip ever, do not waste your money. We have travelled around the world, and never had an experience this bad!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sammiesummer
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Stayed at La Darsena last week of August 2012. The room (oceanview upgrade) was fantastic. I was prepared for a tiny room, as is the norm for Europe, but was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the fact that it was immaculately cleaned. The balcony overlooking the sea was beautiful especially at sunset. The only drawback was the noise in the hallway from other guests. The excursion rep was absent due to illness, but the hotel informed us of excursions and we were able to sign up for the Amalfi trip - stunning! The food was a bit 'hit or miss' - the meat was sometimes overcooked, I felt that perhaps I was better off being vegetarian. They were always willing to offer an alternative - I LOVED the caprese salad with fresh buffalo mozzarella! The beach was lovely and the location is close to the ruins of Paestum and not far form Pompeii.

Room Tip: The oceanview room was well worth the price.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wolflow
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2012

went to la darsena, agropoli. exellent service, good rooms. nice and relatively quiet place. Beach front and nice vue. Could walk to Agrololi center in about 20 minutes, or by bus for almost anything. Did like my trip and this hotel; very personnal and intimate. the staff was great and even years after I went there, still remember like it was yesterday. There was one person who made my trip even better from this hotel: Lory. So thanks to you and continue your good work and to smile like you were the sunshine. We had to change rooms cause the first one was too small and it was not a proplem (not in big season I guess). That romantic city, that intimate hotel and that angel named Loredana... love was in the air all along and I'd go back today.

Room Tip: some rooms are really bigger than others, and some are like little appartements.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family