“View was the best part of this hotel.”
Review of Hotel Montana

Hotel Montana
Toronto, Canada
“View was the best part of this hotel.”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel. After a stressful drive along the Amalfi coast to find this hotel we were hoping for much more than we got. The room was small with two single beds. There was no air-conditioning so we had to resort to leaving our balcony door open to try and ease some of the heat in the room. Unfortunately we had to listen to dogs barking all night long. The view was amazing, the best thing I could say about this hotel. The patio was nice and the waiter we had was very pleasant. The food was very unimpressive although the local bottle of wine the waiter recommended was nice. I agree with some of the other reviews that the views onto the other building were of rundown buildings. The room was clean, the breakfast nothing to write home about. I'm glad I only stayed one night but for the price we paid, I guess we got what we paid for.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Tralee
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Dear Mr Williamson (CEO, Travel Dept.)
I recently visited Italy on one of your package deals visiting Sorrento, Pompei and Capri. We were staying at the Hotel Montana in St. Agata.
We arrived at our ‘hotel’ at around 3pm on September 27th last. We were tired, hot and very hungry. Having decided that we would order vegetable soup we started eating the soup buns but to my horror they were hard as a rock. When the soup arrived we were not given any butter for the rolls and the ‘soup consisted of vegetables and water and we were charged €8 per bowl.
When we went to our room and turned on the light we were horrified to find the wash basin crawling with ants and I ended up having to use hair spray to kill as many of them as I could. The ‘balcony’ was surrounded by rundown buildings and there was a chair stuck in a palm tree a few feet away. There were also lots of clothes lines with women’s underwear – not a pleasant sight!
Trying to relax in the room was impossible and it was roasting hot – we had to ring the reception everytime we wanted to turn on the air conditioning. The room had no wooden clothes hangers and only plastic and wire ones – I heard that other guests had none.
Here are some more ‘highlights’:
Food was total rubbish
Nobody ever asked if we were ok
The manager then never let on that he was also the manager and sarcastically said that he ‘was unfortunately’.
After the ‘dinner’ we went to the bar and there was no attendant. After we became fed up waiting we went to the reception where the manager and another person were having a chat – no mention of the word sorry of can I help you?
Went to the bedroom at 9:30 and tv not working, nothing to do, bar closed and we again had to ring down to ask to turn on the AC.
This was sold as a 4 star hotel and myself and my friend paid nearly €1,000 – we had been saving for a long time for this ‘holiday’.
Friday 28th September
Dinner the same rubbish again
Ordered 2 glasses of white wine and stressed that it must be while but gave us red wine!
September 29th
Back from a day out and no hot water in the hotel room
Decided to get out of hotel that night and we were trapped in the tiny lift for 15 mins - again not even a hint of an apology to any of us. There was also no emergency stairs or any phone in the lift – what if one of us had an attack? We had to bring our own tea and coffee – I was only given a jug of hot water when I asked for boiling water for my tea bags. Its just as well I brought them in the first place.
I heard later the next day that another man was also trapped in the lift the previous day and he was not contacted by any member of staff.
Amazingly we were not allowed to pay for any drink when we ordered it during the couse of our stay and when I asked for a detailed bill on leaving I was just handed a piece of paper with a stamp of the hotel logo on it (enclosed).
I demand a full refund from you within 14 days. If this does not happen the Joe Duffy show will be next and then Jill Kirby of the Consumers Association. I am sending a copy of this letter to the ITAA and also copy to my credit card company in the event thtat I may hae to request a partial of full chargeback.
Later this evening I will be writing this exact letter on Trip Advisor. I see there is already one similar complaint to mine on it regarding September the 27th last.
I trust that you will give this letter the serious attention it deserves.
Regards

____________
Margaret Weir, Tralee, Ireland

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank Mark W

Travellers are raving about these Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We booked an organised trip to the Sorrento coast through the above company, with a different hotel on the advertisement. 2 days after the balance was paid we were told of a hotel change to this hotel. We had some concerns as the Montana does not have a pool, but were refused a refund as TTD insisted the Montana was a 4* hotel. While the hotel may conform to a 4* rating on paper ( lift, tv in room, 24 hour reception ), the holiday experience was closer to 2*. We had a room on the 3rd floor with a small balcony and a fantastic view. the hotel is in need of some serious updating, with the room having a mouldy bathroom, noisy plumbing, fluctuating water temperature in the shower with a shower curtain that sticks to you while trying to shower, and a bathroom door that should have been replaced 10 years ago. The balcony furniture was old, uncomfortable and rusty, and the balcony was in poor repair with rusty railings and plaster peeling off the walls.
The hotel lounge is large and airy, furnished with 1980's sofas, and seemed to be rarely used by guests, we heard it referred to as " gods waiting room". There is a small bar in the corner which does not have a dedicated member of staff. It may take you some time to find someone to serve you - we gave up several times and walked up to a nearby bar.
The Montana has limited outside space in the form of a small terrace to the side of the dining room with seating for approx 30 people with plastic tables and chairs. A busy noisy road runs alongside the terrace.
The dining experience at the Montana reminded us of poor school dinners. We were surprised on our first night to be told that dinner was served at 7.30 prompt, with no alternative. you sit where you could on shared tables of 3 and 4, and told to sit in the same place for the remainder of the holiday.You select your dinner choice at breakfast from a limited menu. One of our group was a vegetarian and was not catered for at all. " staff served approx 100 people as best they could. Memorable meals included overcooked lukewarm pasta, undercooked fish and rock hard chips. Dessert one night was a thin slice of melon. When we had the temerity to ask for coffee we were told NO go to the bar, where, of course, there was no one to serve us. Our experience of the restaurant was limited as despite paying for half board, after 2 nights we decided to eat out for the rest of the holiday. Breakfast is served between 7am till 9am sharp 7 days a week. a selection of the usual continental breakfast is available, along with watery rubbery scrambled egg and cold frankfurters. Yum yum. the orange juice becme more diluted as the week went on. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view or you will get the basement or facing a noisy road.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank markharrison33
Gatineau, Quebec
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Spent 7 nights at this hotel while on a group trip to Italy. While there were a few positives about this hotel - I would not go back.

Positives: Rooms are large for Europe. Staff very pleasant and accommodating. They try to do everything to make your stay enjoyable. Hotel is located close to many stores (small grocery store, pasteria, fruits and vegetables, clothing, etc.). Bus to Sorrento available within less than 5 minute walk. Quite a few good restaurants located within 5 - 10 min walk.

Negatives: AC is controlled by reception staff - have to call to change the temperature and is available on demand only. AC demand needs to be made on a daily basis - and sometimes even many times a day (staff turn ac off when clients leave their rooms). Breakfast is ok but not the best. Food does not get repleshing very quickly - especially where eggs are concerned. Hotel location is way too far from Sorrento. Bus schedule varies but most time only 1 bus every 30 minutes or so - ride takes 20 to 30 minutes. Taxis are a little faster but cost between $25 to 35 euros each way.

In a nutshell, not the worst hotel I stayed at but would not go back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Didasse
Stevensville, Maryland
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights as booked through a travel agency. The first room we were given was a standard sized room for the area and was clean with a nice view of the water from the balcony on the 2nd floor. However, the toilet would not stop flushing so we were moved to the 5th floor that only has two rooms, neither of which had a balcony although it was only a few steps to a public roof top area that had a fantastic view. The room was clean. The shower did not work well all the time and it depended on how many other guests were using water at the same time. Water pressure was generally low. No bath, just a shower which surprised me considering this room was larger than the first and had a king size bed and 2 single beds. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The cost of the wireless internet was 5 euros an hour the days I stayed there. The staff was very friendly and the food was very good. Breakfast was a full breakfast and the dinners we ate there were excellent. The food service staff was excellent. Maid service was also excellent. Even in Europe I would not say this is a four star but more like 3 star. If you like flat hard pillows it is fine but I would suggest you bring your own if you have a different preference. The best feature is that the hotel is off the beaten path and you get to experience the local life style. Very little traffic noise. Easy bus trip to Sorrento takes about 25 minutes average.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank St3v3nd
Manchester
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Quite new to tripadvisor so it will explain the year delay in my review.

Due to a complete disaster on the way to Italy, we found ourselves short of accommodation for 2 nights and so stumbled onto this hotel. From the outset we were made to feel like we were the only guests there (they had an Italian football team staying at the time), on booking the Manager showed us a couple of rooms so we could pick to our own satisfaction, the fact that we had 3 young children with us was no problem at all.

We ate like kings and were treated like royalty, I cannot describe the quality of the food, it was why we were in Italy and were not disappointed. The rooms were nice, and those blinds were magic, shut them and you would think it was the middle of the night, we slept like logs for those 2 nights!

Very large terrace with stunning views, the only downside I personally had was that we were only there for 2 nights, although it was probably just as well - any longer and I would have had to be rolled out having eaten all the lovely food.

We drove from England to Italy camping on the way, but as our car had blown up we had to fly home, the Manager let us leave a suitcase full of our stuff there for them to dispose of due to flight restrictions.

Would I recommend this hotel to my family and friends? Damn right I would, and I will definitely be staying there again some day.

.................................................................................................................................................................

Abbastanza nuovo TripAdvisor così sarà spiegare il rinvio di un anno nella mia recensione.

A causa di un completo disastro sulla strada per l'Italia, ci siamo trovati a corto di alloggio per 2 notti e così imbattuto in questo hotel. Fin dall'inizio abbiamo fatto sentire come se fossimo gli unici ospiti lì (che avevano una squadra italiana di calcio presso il tempo), su prenotazione il gestore ci ha mostrato un paio di stanze in modo da poter scegliere per la nostra soddisfazione, il fatto che abbiamo avuto tre bambini piccoli con noi non era un problema a tutti.

Abbiamo mangiato da re e sono stati trattati come dei re, non posso descrivere la qualità del cibo, è stato perché eravamo in Italia e non sono stati delusi. Le camere erano belle, e quelle persiane erano magici, li chiuse e si potrebbe pensare che era il cuore della notte, abbiamo dormito come i log relativi a quei 2 notti!

grande terrazzo con vista mozzafiato, l'unico aspetto negativo io personalmente avevo era che noi eravamo lì solo per 2 notti, anche se probabilmente è stato un bene - più e avrei dovuto essere rotolato fuori aver mangiato tutto il cibo delizioso.

Abbiamo guidato dall'Inghilterra in Italia, campeggio lungo la strada, ma come la nostra vettura era esploso abbiamo dovuto volare a casa, il Gestore lasciamo una valigia piena di nostra roba lì per loro di smaltire a causa di restrizioni di volo.

Avrei questo hotel alla mia famiglia e gli amici? Damn diritto vorrei, e mi sarà sicuramente di nuovo rimanere lì un giorno.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ShellyBobbs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Plus points were the reception staff. They were polite and very nice.

Downside...well...for any brits out there who are expecting 4 stars please note that UK 4 star is very different to Italian 4 star ! The air con comes on demand...you have to call them to switch it on and off. The choice for breakfast is not good. Ladies, if you need an iron then take your own. Any light sleepers please take please take ear plugs. I made the mistake of not taking any and spend the night awake. The doors have to be slammed shut which is very loude. So you hear every one come in and out of their rooms. Also, the walls are very thin........

Loaction is good, although the street is very busy so be careful when driving.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple