“Honeymoon”

Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This was an amazing place to stay with an amazing sea view across the Bay of Naples from our room. The Staff and Management are very friendly and welcoming and made us feel very at home. Food is excellent and we enjoyed our time there. It is a very good base to work from exploring Sorrento and surrounding attractions e.g. Mt Vesuvius, Pompeii etc. We will definitely return. Thanks to William, Renato and Staff especially Salvatore our bar-man.
Mick and Mary

Room Tip: Higher rooms with full sea view
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Comfortable place to stay. Was a bit difficult to find, as hotel is marked on wrong place in Navtec maps, both in tripadvisor and navigator. I would recommend to check. The private path (or more or less well lit road) to St.Agata was good. Shuttle to Sorrento worked also well, parking by hotel was available. Television very small and outdated, even if many channels available. A/C not quite powerful enough for +35 degrees temperatures. Internet not available in rooms, only in lobby and one corner of balcony. Breakfast could use some variation during full week. For example fresh fruit would be available at low cost for fruit salads instead of tinned, naturally needing a bit of work in kitchen. Still all in all we enjoyed or stay because of very helpful and friendly staff, location, nice room and views. Enough sunbeds, even if many guests reserve them with towels hours before they come to pool. Hotel could consider removing towels from empty chairs, if no-one comes in many hours. Dinner food not best price/quality ratio, but easy to get in St Agata to eat.

Room Tip: Lovely viw from sea side, higher floor rooms. If you are not fit, consider lower floors. Only one el...
Reviewed 11 August 2012

The Hermitage beautifully clings to standards that have long since been dismissed by other, more trendy hotels. When you are at the Hermitage, you are transported to a time when friendly service and elegance were of the utmost importance. I feel it is impossible to be there without feeling genuinely valued, cared for, and important. This staff KNOWS how to treat their guests and I must say, for me, it is a privilege knowing these remarkable people.

The rooms are rich with history and are meticulously cared for. If you choose to stay in the Villa, you suddenly become part of Italy's robust history. If your choice is the main building of the hotel, you are treated to views that will be forever part of your memory - they are that beautiful. In my book - it is a win/win situation. You simply cannot go wrong here.

The food is stunning and who doesn't love the ever charming Tonino, the maitre d'? -Speaking French one moment, German the next, Italian after, and English simultaneously; a gem! Guillermo, Renato, Antonella, and all the lovely people who make this place magical are proud of their work, generous with kindness, and devoted to YOUR happiness. If it sounds as though I know them personally, that is because, after 1 visit you feel like family - which is why I have been to the Hermitage 5 times and will never consider another hotel in the south of Italy. To me, this place is perfect.

In addition, I have begun taking a large group of dancers ( 30 students ) to the hotel annually for a two-week residency. It boggles my mind that a hotel would do so much for a group of this size. Their investment and support of culture and art are refreshing. The dancers want for nothing, and the connection they have given us to the community of Sorrento is priceless.

So I say thank you to: The firm beds, the beautiful rooms, the gracious staff, the amazing pasta, the shuttle service to Sorrento, delicious drinks at the bar, gorgeous views, the refinement, the magic. Being at the Hermitage is like being in a dream.

If you want a hotel that has dignity and not an ounce of pretentiousness - stay here. You won't be sorry. We adore you, Hermitage!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are absolutely worth the small, added fee. The view is stunning! However, if you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The Hermitage is our home away from home. My husband and I recently returned from a two-week stay, our third in 3 years, and yet again I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel. For one, the location is perfect. If you want to stay in a tourist trap, get an overpriced hotel in Sorrento. If you want a quiet hotel with amazing views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples and easy access (via a free hotel shuttle) to Sorrento when you feel like joining the circus of tourists, stay at the Hermitage. Walk through the lemon grove to the charming little city of St. Agata where you will find real Italian culture. From there you can also take a bus to the many cities along the Amalfi Coast. The rooms are perfect - big by European standards with beautiful tile floors and always impeccably clean. The beds are firm, which is a good thing! You're back will be happy when you wake up. The food is bountiful, fresh and delicious, especially the pastas. But our favorite thing about the Hermitage is the staff - the most welcoming, hospitable, friendly people you've ever met. Example: we had to leave the hotel at 4:30 am to get the airport, and Saverio was waiting downstairs with fresh cappuccinos, fruit and pastries. William and Renato are great hosts, happily booking cars, excursions, tours, beach chairs, etc. and always ready with great suggestions. Two years ago, Renato even made a restaurant reservation for myself and my new fiancé on the day he proposed. He sent us to the most romantic, beautiful restaurant I have ever seen and even booked the car to take us there; the evening could not have been more perfect. William, Renato, Salvatore, Paolo, Antonella, Franco, Saverio and the rest of the Hermitage staff: we love you and can't wait to see you next year!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

With my wife we have just returned from a 9 day break to Sorrento and the Grand Hotel Hermitage. We booked the hotel in the main on the strength of TA reviews. The views that the hotel gives over Sorrento, Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples are incredible.

The hotel is family run. There is no doubt that they are feeling the pinch on the economic side and I am aware that any profits they make are taxed very heavily as part of the Italian Governments drive to recover their € calamity. In talking to (I believe) the General Manager he explained that whilst the hotel have better than anticipated bookings planning for capital investment has been temporarily been put on hold due to this financial crisis. The Manager was pleased to say that they had not had to lose any staff but certain things they wanted to do in the way of improvements, i.e. new TV's in rooms, are on hold.

We had no problems with the staff who were always very courteous and willing to help with advice on where to visit and also restaurants to eat at. I am aware however that a lady traveller at the hotel at the same time with her partner had a somewhat unwanted uncomfortable experience with the "over the top" flirtatious attentions of a member of the waiting staff of the pool bar. This same man also made an inappropriate comment to my wife who shrugged it off but nevertheless this is not good for the hotel even if it had been meant in a pleasant way.

To the hotel itself - the bedrooms are more than adequate however I did pass comment that I was disappointed that there were no glasses in the room only plastic beakers. I was advised this was as a result of the glasses and also ceramic ashtrays "disappearing" as they all apparently bore the hotel logo etc. I suggested a visit to IKEA in Naples and snap up a load of their cheap glasses would be better rather than cheapening the hotel by having the plastic cups.
Others have commented about the showers and the flow of water varying and this is correct.
The furniture in the rooms is a little dated and in some cases if you opened a drawer too far it came apart however these are minor points.
The public rooms in the hotel are good with plenty of good seating etc. Special mention must be made of Salvatore the barman. Attentive and polite to one and all and certainly he made the best coffee in the hotel.
The breakfast selection at the hotel was okay but I have to agree with others in a country that produces so much citrus fruit the "plastic" fruit juice from the machine was not pleasant. Only once did I try the jam or marmalade which quite frankly was the blandest I have ever eaten so I avoided it like the plague. I actually think the jams etc were nothing more than flavoured goo as there was definitely no hint of fruit in any of them! I never tried the coffee at breakfast but opted for tea was fine.

The hotel does a 3 course set menu package meal each evening which starts with the cold buffet followed by a choice of either steak/frites or pizza then dessert for €15 or a €20 selection which has a number of main course choices. There is an extensive wine list all of which was reasonably priced. The best of the local restaurants in Sant Agata was Lo Stuzzichino. There are others around there i.e. Mimi’s but none were as good.
During our stay we also visited the Le Grazie Restaurant in Sorrento which was excellent – separate review.

We took an all day boat trip organised through the hotel to Amalfi and Positano which was good value and a good day out. To see the towns from the sea certainly gives a better perspective and I would suggest that Positano is the nicer of the two.

AS AN ASIDE BE AWARE - We also opted to visit the ruins of Pompeii travelling by train from Sorrento. This was easily done as the train drops you literally outside the entrance. I would not normally add this here but I know that Pompeii is a must for many TA contributors but here is a warning. When you leave Sorrento by train you have no option but to put your ticket through a machine to access the platform. This validates the ticket HOWEVER at Pompeii there is open access to the platform. We accessed the platform without passing through the station entrance where there are no similar access machines. We had bought tickets so were certainly not fair dodging. We presumed that we would need to use our ticket to exit the platform at Sorrento. This was not the case and we fell foul of an extremely officious railway Police Officer who fined us €41.20 despite the fact that 3 other colleagues who were with him expressing their discontent at him. These colleagues had in fact allowed other passengers who had also done the same as us to pass without penalty. Singlehandedly this man successfully soured our holiday. For a country in a downward economic spiral that relies hugely on tourism the belligerent attitude of this man has unfortunately ensured that we will never return.

Tip 1 - if you plan on driving to the hotel and you are using sat nav be aware that if you just put in Via Nastro Verde 9 that the 9 as such means nothing. Via Nastro Verde is a very long twisting road. If you approach from the southern end of Sorrento then you have about a 7-8 minute drive uphill before you reach the hotel. If you approach from Sant' Agata then it’s about a two minute drive downhill.
Tip 2 - ask for a 5th floor room for the best views.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
RENATOHERMITAGE, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Mr Bob ,
also to point our economic problem as hotel with out Italian governament that tax everything...
We put a great attention on the small problem that you had with one of the pool bar waiter..
We had a meeting , the problem is resolved ...
Sorry and we apologize with you and your partner.If you told us by the hotel we would say sorry directly !!
Hope to see you agian
P.S. You are right ,our Pubblic trasportation staff are horrible!!!!

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at the Hermitage when my sister got married at the Villa Fondi in Sorrento. Because of all of the comings and goings involved with the wedding, the staff were extremely helpful and accomodating, laying on an extra shuttle bus (although we had to pay for it) to get us down to the town in the morning. The staff is definitely one of the redeeming features of this hotel. The pool was nice too, although always full of screaming kids - which wasn't great when you wanted a quiet, late afternoon cool-down. While the location is beautiful and away from the noise and heat of Sorrento, it is a little too far if you want to pop into town for a little mooch about. You have to make sure you book your seats on the shuttle bus early as there is only one mini-bus and there are set times when it leaves the hotel and the town centre. We found the evening departure times inconvenient (either 6pm or 8.45) so not great for dinner/drinks - although the driver was very funny with his broken English and beeping horn. Coupled with the location, the hotel itself is tired and in need of a facelift. The rooms are a bit old fashioned in decoration and the furniture rickety, the bed uncomfortable and noisy when turning over in the night! One other comment we'd make is about the breakfast; although vast with plenty of breads and pastries, none of it was particularly nice. We normally stock up in the morning for the rest of the day, but neither my husband nor I really fancied anything. The pastries were dry and the juice sickly sweet concentrate from a machine.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the third floor or above. While most rooms have a 'view' there is a massive...
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed for a week and were given a lovely room with a charming view of Vasuvious and Sorrento. We thought the rustic Italian tiles were charming and didn't mind the dated decor, although some communal elements of the hotel were ageing and a little tired.

The room seemed very clean and was much bigger than it looked from the picture. We were very pleased with our room although a little disappointed that our 'double bed' was in fact two singles literally put together which created a tiresome gap in the middle. This was no big deal however and didn't impact on our sleep.

The shower was pretty weak and would go from a nice temperature to almost cold, although we didn't particularly mind this in such a hot country and to be fair to the hotel, we didn't mention this for that very reason.

The lady on reception greeted us with a lovely warm smile and was very helpful and informative from start to finish. She gave us great advice in planning some of our trips to Capri and organised our visit to Sorrento The Musical which we thoroughly enjoyed! Most of the staff were very helpful although some were a little less attentive than the lady whom we met on our arrival. She really was fabulous!!

Our breakfast was the most disappointing experience. Considering the whole region was covered in beautiful orange trees, the orange juice substitute was from a machine and clearly contained sweeteners/sugar and tasted very artificial. I would have been more than happy to cut my own oranges in half and juice them with a relatively cheap orange press!!

The coffee was also disappointing,again from a machine and having an unpalatable muddy aftertaste.

Scrambled eggs were made from dried egg powder and were saturated in oil and the boiled eggs were sat in hot water for so long, they were green inside! We've stayed in two stars in Crete which had fresh Orange juice, a man service fresh coffee and a wider choice.

On a positive note, the croissants were very fresh and there was a lovely spread of sweet cakes and other choices such as cereal and cold meats and cheese. However, for me, the basics of a good breakfast were just not right. We also found the tip basket a little unusual but perhaps this is something done in Italy?

Despite the points raised in my review, we would stay again and had a lovely time in his hotel, with a little tweaking this could be a real hidden gem

1  Thank MantisFly

Dear Mr Mantis,
thank you for your review....
We spoke with chef and we decide to increse the hot buffet and the fruits buffet...unfortunatly the economic crisis in Italy ( More taxes for us) not help to improve the hotels with small things Regarding the bed we have some rooms with one double bed and other rooms with single beds , most of the time we can satisfay the guests wishes other not...I'm sorry.
Hope to welcome again

#32 of 100 in Sorrento
Residence Gocce di Capri
Residence Gocce di Capri
#9 of 47 in Massa Lubrense

Been to Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita? Share your experiences!