“Italian Chic ?”
Review of Hotel Iaccarino

Hotel Iaccarino
Reviewed 8 August 2008

My beautiful and long sufferring wife and I decided that we needed some R&R. So leaving the kids behind for the first time popped down to our local travel agent and tried to get a last minute deal ... Not as easy as I thought ! The credit crunch may be a figment of the Media's imagination, as we were really struggling to find somewhere ...

So we were given a choice ... Tunisia or Italy. Well, no contest really. We had both always planned on visiting Pompeii and Herculanium, so this seemed like the ideal place for our week long escape.

Flying from Newcastle with Thomson Fly, everything went smoothly ... The flight was a bit cramped (I am 6'2" and 280llb) but we got there ahead of schedule and were taken straight to the hotel. So far so good..

On first appearance all I could think of was ... Why don't they whitewash their buildings ? The area gives the outward appearence of being a bit run down, Not so much "shabby chic" as, just a bit shabby...

The Hotel Jaccarino was delightful. It was old but immaculate inside. Our room was away from the main building, next to the pool and right next to the main road. The windows were shuttered and double glazed and the room itself was spotlessly clean, modern and spacious. The double bed was large, comfortable and the fresh linen all immaculate. Sounds great, but there was a bit of a problem here. If this room was in GB then it would have been perfect. However, it is in Italy and it was like an oven. No air conditioning and due to its proximity to the road it was impossible to sleep with the windows open. Apparently all Italian cars, motorbikes, trucks, bicycles and probably wheely bins are powered by sound! Horns, bust exhausts charver dance music all seemed to be the "fuel" used to power these machines. Screaming mopeds were constant throughout the night and of course, if they were travelling wth passengers or in pairs, then this noise was enhanced by the riders screaming at eachother, in italian (so we could not understand what they were saying!)... Not quite what we were looking for.

So after a fitful night we struggled to the restaurant where we had all our main meals that week. The restaurant was superb. The service was excellent, food was well prepared and delicious, and you don't get to my weight without appreciating food. In the evenings we took the later sitting and then enjoyed the terrace looking out over Sorrento Bay with a bottle of house plonk... No kids with us or other distractions we actually managed long chats and a very stress relieving time... excellent !. Oh and I should say that after that bottle of house plonk the noise from the road seemed a little quieter.

The days were taking up with one day sightseeing and one day lazing around the pool. The hotel pool area was excellent, the loungers had built in shades and were great for tanning and reading ... or in my case burning and reading (I am the original lobster coloured Englishman abroad) There was a small cafe bar right next to the pool run by the hotel staff (who never seem to sleep!) Very convenient, if not a little expensive. Hmmm ... there's something I probably should mention... The cost of just about anything in this area is expensive. The GB Pound to Euro exchange rate was terrible £1 = 1.15 Euro. A beer was 5 euro's and a can of Diet Coca Cola 4 Euros. a Simple sandwich lunch with drinks would easily come to £20. So the half Board tariff we took seemed very worthwhile.

The local area was quaint. There is a fantastic bar just a two minute walk from the Hotel called Orlando's. The prices are cheaper than the Hotel and it has real italian charm... Not to be missed, but if you do go there you will probably end up there till 1am !!

One one evening the village was descended on by about 200 teenagers on scooters ... Oh no I thought, but wait ... They all went to the local church where a number of dungaree clad Youth Leaders set up silly games and competitions for them. They had a great time and there was not a bottle of cheap wine or can of nasty lager in sight, nor a hoody, tracksuit or baseball cap. How have we got it so wrong over here.

Anyway, in a nutshell, the holiday was lovely, a bit expensive when you are there, and it could really have done with Air Con in the room. The hotel staff all spoke english and were very helpful and polite. To be honest the staff made this hotel absolutely charming. We have travelled fairly extensively in Europe and this is one of the more memorable holidays. Yes I would recommend it and even return in the future, if I'm spared ..

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank JHew99

Reviewed 14 May 2008

This hotel is approx 7km from Sorrento centre & is ideally placed for a relaxing, very quiet break.

I visited on my own for a week in May 2008 and found the service faultless, the views stunning and the tranquility exactly what I was looking for.

From the minute I arrived, I was greeted in a very professional manner with my luggage taken directly to my room for me. The reception and bar area is very stunning, quite old-fashioned but full of charm.

The view from the terrace & pool was of the Bay of Naples and Versuvius, what more can you ask for! The hotel is only a 3 minute walk from the village of St Agata which is not touristy at all so don't expect to be greeted in English (which I adored!).

Some people were complaining that the prices in the hotel bar were expensive but for a 4* hotel I thought was quite reasonable - about 4 euros for a glass of wine, 5 euros for a glass of prosseco and 6 euros for a beer. There was also no entertainment on in the evenings, but I enjoyed sippping a "vino rosso" reading my book!

The restaurant had the same views as the terrace and provided a choice of 4 starters & main courses each day, I though the food was very fresh and delicious - traditional.

I would definately visit this hotel again, but stress if you are looking for something a bit lively, this is not the hotel for you!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
6  Thank NWGirl25
Reviewed 4 January 2008

My husband, son and I stayed at the jaccarino for two weeks. We had a wonderful holiday, their is plenty of trips to go on although they are very over priced.

The jaccarino is a lovelly Hotel but the rooms are very dissapointing, especially those without balconys and back/side facing. The rooms are small, very dark, very dated and noisy and do not have air- conditioning. I would recommend paying extra for the slightly better rooms. All this aside the communal parts of the hotel are lovelly, and full of character. The staff are helpful and the food is good although not alot of choice and the views are amazing. But the Hotel is not worthy of 4 stars i would say is a 3 star Hotel.

I do not recommend this hotel for those who are less mobile as there are many steps and the 4 mile ish walk to sorrento is very steep. Some guests moaned about the distance the hotel was from sorrento. However for those who enjoy walking the Hotel was in a fantastic postion. There are a few free pre-bookerable( often fully booked) buses which run from the hotel . There are also local buses which are very busy, which run to Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and the local beach of Nerano. Dont forget travel sickness pills, the roads are very bendy.

The hotel is in the small town of St Agata a lovelly little place with a few bars and resturants, much more italian then Sorrento. We loved the location but it may be a little small and out of the way for some.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank MartSarah
Reviewed 16 November 2007

I went here as a getaway with my friends before we went our separate ways to University. We needed somewhere reasonably priced, but it was absolutely lovely, far more than we were expecting. We had two 18th birthdays during our week's stay - one the day after another - and they brought us beautiful cakes for each occasion.
I hope that after such a long time the place is still as beautiful as it was. The location was lovely, the rooms were lovely, but the staff made it an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed: July 2004, travelled with friends
2  Thank brookeormian
Reviewed 2 September 2007

Stayed for a week in August 2007 - in the middle of a heat wave, even by southern Italian standards in high summer. Imagine our delight then at the lack of air con in the room. It was a veritable furnace 24/7.

This was a great pity because otherwise this hotel has much to commend it. Other reviewers mention the fantastic views and the olde worlde charm. To that add very pleasant and helpful staff and impressive public areas.

The nearby village of Sant'Agata is charming - we came accross a free performance of light opera and other Italian favourites in the main square one evening.

As for its location - yes it is away from Sorrento centre but once you have mastered the bus timetable - or even taken the 45 minute journey on foot - you can have the best of both worlds. The bustle of the town coupled with the quiet of the village.

I say quiet, except for a very enthusiastic cockerel and an occasional manic bell ringer who sometimes feels the need to let you know that in his world it is 108 O'Clock!!!

In summary this hotel has many plus points but desparately needs AIR CON.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank labtest
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Although 5 miles from Sorrento, the hotel has stunning views across the bay of Naples and benifits from being in the village of St Aguta where there are shops, restaurants etc. Good bus service to Sorrento. It is a pity that there was not more fresh fruit and fruit juice on the menu. Food fine, but not exiting. No air conditioning or minibars and bathrooms large, but little tired.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gwaLondon
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Not sure why this hotel is a 4 star hotel. The only people who would not complain are the ones that are lucky enough to be given a balcony apartment with the gorgeous sea view. ALL other rooms are 2 star at best with views of the alley at the back of the hotel and the dogs barking. No facililites in the room including no air conditioning !! The pool was not heated and was quite cold even in July. The drinks including soft drinks are very expensive, 4 euros for a coke. Unless you have paid for the balcony and the sea view ( and from what I heard that does not guarantee it), you will not be happy here. It is also way up the hill from Sorrento and you must rely on the hotel bus which does not run at good times in the evening or the public bus which is a bit hit and miss.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UKtraveller83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Due Golfi
#1 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Romita
Grand Hotel Hermitage & Villa Ro...
#2 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
#6 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi
Villa Romita
Villa Romita
#10 of 12 in Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi

Been to Hotel Iaccarino? Share your experiences!