“Exquisite ”

Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890
Reserve with
Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$0 - US$174
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Exquisite ”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This is really fine dining at its best. The food unique but with the local food as the inspiration. It's a place you want to go to when you want to have a dining experience. The food is only part of the fun.
The staff is exemplary and epitome of professional. Everything was times perfectly as would be expected.
Ask to your the wine cellar. Really amazing. Not that they have 25,000 bottles , but that the cellar consists of rooms from the 15th and 17th century and also a tunnel from the 6th Century BC that leads to an old well where try age their own cheeses.
We ordered from the tasting menu. We were not disappointed. A great way to try more courses than you could eat if they were full size.
Truly a dining experience to share with family and friends.

• Hebrew first
Dublin
“Amazing food ...oh and a stool for my handbag”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

So this is how 'the other half lives'!!! From start to finish this was much more than a culinary experience. The difficulty is deciding where to start. I could describe the food, but I don't think I could do it justice. Every course and the little between courses amuse bouches was exquisite with flavours and presentation appealing to all the senses. This was a special evening to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary and once the management heard this we were looked after as if we had just parked our yacht outside!!! The wine sommellier selected a lovely wine at a reasonable price (it can be risky to ask them to choose). At dessert time we were presented with a small cake, made especially gluten free to suit my husband and we were told it was for us to feed to each other. There was also the performance with the chocolates and the dry ice!!!!
Don't hesitate to ask to see the amazing wine cellar which dates from Roman times and wander around the beautiful gardens too.
This restaurant has two Michellin stars. Wonder what three tastes like? I will just have to save u to find out, because sadly these places don't come cheap, but maybe it's worth it?

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank AOBC
Brussels, Belgium
“It's not "good", it's not "great", and it's not "wow a little bit special" it's just heavenly!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went this spring (May) just as the sleepy town was awakening and getting reading for the season and before the hordes of tourists hit the Amalfi coast.
Though Sant'Agata sui due Golfi isn't really located on the tourist track. The hotel is rather small (9 rooms) and was fairly empty which made it all the more gorgeous even though the restaurant was filled most nights. (the restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday except for hotel guest with a smaller simpler menu but just as scrumptious)
We had such a great time that we kept extending our stay from 3 nights to 5 and finally staying for a week (instead of doing the big discovery menu we were able to enjoy every night one of
The fabulous signature dishes in the restaurant).
Don Alfonso is family owned and everything about it reminded me how fabulous it was to stay somewhere not owned by a chain. The very down to earth owner, Alfonso favours his mostly his farm Le Peracciole and the wonderful produce it delivers, his most charming wife Livia runs the place with an eye to every little detail with the help of suave son Mario while the other son Ernesto is the magician in the kitchen.
The hotel staff, all 45 of them treat you like their most loved customers and almost like family. Most of them have been there for years and will stay for life except for the ones learning in the kitchen… They give advice without the attitude, friendliness without the corporate smile, wisdom without condescension. Breakfast is served on the terrace and is a perfect Italian feast including jams and preserves made from the fruits of Punta Campanella; fresh baked focaccia, tiny zeppole (donoughts), apricot tart, cream puffs and cake that are still warm. The selection of cheeses & yogurt from Vannulo is fabulous! Cold cuts, farm fresh eggs and the coffee a special blend (it took two years to come up with it!)
The garden is busting with flowers and has a pool. The terrace, verandah or library are all exquisite and perfect for pre-dinner drinks depending on the evening temperatures. Supper is “absolumente” divine – This is really one of the greatest finds on PLANET EARTH

Maurizio the sommelier, will go out of his way to make you discover local treats of grand cru according to your taste and budget, he will also be delighted to take you down to visit the most exceptional wine cellar which is and ancient and romantic nook in a Pre-Roman tunnel with more than 25,000 top-quality bottles and an aging well for cheeses.
Furthermore this is the only place in the world when departing the entire staff comes out to bid you farewell and wish you a safe trip home. Livia made sure we returned home arms laden in gifts and produce from the farm (tomato passata, oregano, jam, cappers, pasta, sweetest of lemons)”

Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Xofi10
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“A taste of heaven”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had the taster menu which was delicious everything prepared to the highest level easily worth two Michelin stars
Staff and owner friendly and engaging made the whole time there very special
Tour of amazing wine cellar complete with Etruscan tunnel a must as is their cheese
Would love to eat here all the time

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jonathan F
Miami
“A Once in a Lifetime Experience- Creative and Exquisite Local Dishes”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I made reservations here after reading about it in "1000 Places to See Before You Die" since I was going to be in Sorrento, it seemed a shame not to visit. The restaurant is not actually in Sorrento, but in Saint Agata and it was a rather expensive cab ride from our hotel on the hill in Sorrento, even though it wasn't that far away. At any rate, from the moment you walk in service is immaculate (but not intrusive) and the pink wall and crystal chandeliers make for a very romantic setting. I was, however, with my son but we seemed to be surrounded by people on a romantic date or celebrating a special occasion, as it is this type of place. I ordered the tasting menu, with five courses, my son ordered an entrée and I shared all of my tasting menu with him. While I don't know if this was ok, the waiters and staff certainly didn't make me feel as if it was a problem. From what I remember, there was a traditional tasting menu and a modern one. I opted for the traditional (for 145 Euro). We ordered a bottle of wine (45 Euro) to go along with it. They first brought an amuse bouche, which may have been my favorite, with potato chips, fava beans, baby shrimp, squid and some red crunchy things- very nice blend of flavors and textures. Next up fried lobster with sweet and sour sauce (my son's favorite), followed by an egg yolk on creamy mozzarella with shaved truffles (yum), pumpkin gnocchi with truffles and a pistachio cookie, lamb with herbs, different kinds of cheeses, honey, almonds and dried fruit on a cheese plate and a variety of little desserts (nougat, meringue, cannoli, chocolate) presented with much flair on top of a plate with dry ice that was delicious. There was also a little ice cream pop covered in nuts. I ordered the lemon melody for dessert, being in Sorrento with all the lemons. It was good, lemon profiteroles with lemon mousse and spun sugar, but I was so full by that point (even though the dishes were all smallish), but not my favorite. But wait... the experience wasn't over yet. We started at 8, it was probably 10 and we were asked if we wanted to see the wine cellar (of course), so a charming lady took us over to the hotel part and showed us a film about the restaurant, it's cooking philosophy and menu while we sipped grappa. After that, we were ushered into the wine cellar, built by the Etruscans before Christ (B.C.) Amazing, but we were both tired and ready for bed by this point. Dinner with wine was $345- definitely a splurge, but an incredible experience. While it wasn't the best meal of my life, the food was very good and it will be a meal I will always remember.

• Visited May 2014