“Local place - still great”

Ristorante Pizzeria Bar Papillon
Ranked #35 of 120 Restaurants in Salo
Price range: US$12 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is situated right on the lakefront and here you can relax and enjoy the view over the peaceful bay of Salò, under the shade of beautiful age-old trees. We offer you fish from the sea and lake and of course our pizzas. In high season you can have your meal also in the afternoon, we're open from 11.45-23.00
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Back again this year, still my favourite restaurant in Salo. I'm curious about the mixed reviews, especially about the service. Maybe we've been lucky but we've had no problems. There is one waitress who we also saw last year, who is very good - I should have noted her name as it seems from other reviews that she may be the exception. So, two visits, sat inside by the window both times (closed last night as there was rain) and enjoyed our evenings. Earlier in the week there was a large party of teenagers (end of school?) who were boisterous but not disturbing and added to the character.
I had the tagliata which was excellent - a perfect piece of beef, perfectly cooked. Unfortunately the pizza that should have been served at the same time came about 10 minutes later. That seems to me to be a regular practice in a few places so I don't complain about it although I read that some do. On our second visit my fish came first and no sign of the spaghetti vongole for a good 5 minutes until the star waitress spotted the error and was off straight away getting it sorted. Ok, that shouldn't happen but she's relaxed and professional in dealing with problems.
The pizzas aren't great - rather too dark and crispy on the edges - but the pasta, beef and fish and the starters of caprese salad and HUGE portion of prosciutto are excellent.
They serve my favourite wine -Campei from Le Chuisere (?) too.
I really recommend Papillon - go past the Duomo, away from the tourist places - and have a treat, but do try to get the tables just inside on the right.

1  Thank LesleyLark

Reviewed 18 January 2014

In a Sunday evering toghether with one of my italian frind and 2 memebrers of my team I chouse this restaurant for a long dinner( in our intention) The food was good but....the athmosfer was strange.First at all we received a table in the midlle of the room in front of the kitchen door in the condition in which the restaurant was not full; we must repeat tow times all the question becouse the girl who served us look to not understand for the first time. I ask a wine, I recived in other but was very good and i don't comment.I eat with the sentiment that sombody observ me all the time. One by one one wefinished our dinner erlier.So pity becouse the restaurant have potential.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Ate here on two occasions during a two week holiday with family. Most of our party of 10 which included three children were under impressed with both the food and the service. I myself had a seafood risotto that was better described as a seashell risotto, There was a very noticeable lack of actual seaflesh in the dish and it seemed to have been made with leftovers.
The lakeside setting is what attracts most people ,But that's all that this establishment really has to offer. The staff are bordering on rude and could do with a lesson in manners.

1  Thank Kalimantsi
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Excellent seafood, do try the spaghetti alla scoglia or the seafood risotto. The pasta dishes are all amazing. However, the pizza is average at best. Lunch is the best time to go as the service in the evening is very poor. We were there for both a lunch and a dinner. The outside area is lovely, but take a jacket for the evening as it can be cool by the water.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

My family spend the Summer in Salo' each year so we have been to Papillon several times. We find the food to be very tasty & good value but the service really poor. The staff are unfriendly & dismissive (even rude at times). In summary, the entire restaurant experience is let down by bad training in customer service.

1  Thank ValerieAL