“Great staff made our holiday”

Grand Hotel Paradiso
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Passo del Tonale
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked with Crystal Holidays on a ski package and I must admit I was not sure what to expect. On arrival the hotel looked a little souless but as soon as we got to our room I (took advice from other tripadvisor reviewers and booked a superior room) was really pleased and began to relax. The bar area was really welcoming and the staff absolutely superb; the restaurant staff were fantastic too. The food was much better than I expected; the buffet was especially good and the pasta/soup course excellent which meant that we weren't too bothered that the main courses were not brilliant but certainly not awful. The restaurant made a real effort on Valentine's night with both the decoration and food.

We only used the spa pool once as it was a little cool but nicely done out.

The walk up the metal staircase to the slopes was very tricky in ski boots but that was the only complaint I had so no big deal really. The skiing kept both my sister and I happy (intermediate) and our husbands (slightly more advanced) for the whole week. My sister and I booked the three day intermediate ski school and although the instructor did not speak that much English he was lovely and really helped build our confidence. In fact all the instructors seemed good - my sister accidentally ended up in another instructor's arms (or so she said!) and he was extremely gracious about it.... I think next time I will book a three day set of lessons followed by a one off personal session to help on the steeper slopes. I had told my husband that this was make or break (hopefully not literally!) for me in terms of skiing as I had become frustrated by my ineptitude on the slopes - but guess what I have agreed to go again!

Thank you Crystal Holidays for a great time.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room as others have recommended. Take your own hair dryer!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in Feb 2014 and were happy with the hotel and its' location.

Pros:
Location and access to the slopes in Passo Tonale
Clean
Friendly and helpful staff
Amazing views

Cons:
Right at one end of town so very quiet
No drinks were included in half board so water with dinner costs (min 4 euros)
No tea and coffee facilities even in the deluxe rooms
Double beds are two singles pushed together in the deluxe rooms!

The food was not as impressive as stated in other reviews....it was okay, but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 26theroyal
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed in the Grand Paradiso for a week's skiing with friends. It's in a great location for skiing, right on the slopes and close to the lifts (although, given the location of the ski-room, not quite ski-in, ski-out) and just a little away from the heart of the village so that you don't get disturbed by those whose apres-ski goes on a little longer and is a little noisier than yours.

The hotel itself is stylish and comfortable in its public areas: the bar especially is a really nice place to wind down after a day's skiing. The rooms are comfortable - especially if you go for the upgrade and get a deluxe one with balcony (strongly recommend these). The spa is everything you'd want, well equipped and comfortable to be in, and we looked forward every day to our supper in the restaurant. The best of it all, however, was the hotel staff who were not only helpful and efficient but really friendly too and this makes a big difference when you are staying in the same place for a week. Purely personally, I am particularly grateful to the reception staff in arranging to return something that I left behind.

The hotel does have some idiosyncrasies (such as only having one key per ski-locker and some of the things that were not provided in the standard rooms) but for us these were more than compensated for by how enjoyable it was just staying there. We were not a family group but I imagine that it would be just as good for people with children as it is for those without.

Room Tip: Go for the superior rooms with a balcony: more space and better equipped and decorated.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JonathanWalkerJersey
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Booked 10th Jan for 7 day family holiday. Intermediate to advanced skiers and boarders.

Easy check in and very pleased with the superior rooms, we contacted the hotel in advance asking for one room with a double bed and the other with twin beds and if possible in close vicinity. We were allocated room’s next door with connecting balconies with a great view of the slopes.
The room was spotless and the beds were very comfy and good storage space with a nice clean bathroom.
There was a sign on the mini bar saying that if you stored anything inside except medicine there would be a 5 euro charge, also it was not switched on. Come on not what you expect in a 4* hotel. Easy option kept beers and soft drinks on the balcony, sorted!!

The heating controls don’t work and the rooms get very hot and stuffy, we ended up switching off the radiator in the bedroom and leaving the window open.

We booked advanced ski hire through Chrystal, the ski hire shop is attached to the hotel which is really handy but I was not impressed by the quality of the equipment or the attitude of the guy working there.
Woman in front of me was collecting her skis and was asked if she booked advanced or intermediate, her reply was intermediate, I was asked the same and was issued with the same skis as her!!
First pair of boots were wet and the pair I eventually got had no insoles, skied with them for one day and decided to buy a pair as I couldn’t manage to ski a week with what I was given.
Watched people return boots and the guy just put them back in the rack, no disinfectant spray or drying! ready for the next mug.
Other people we met during the week had hired from the shop 2 doors up and had far better service and equipment.
The ski locker was of good size but there was no drying so boots still wet in the morning.

Internet was a bit patchy and takes several hours to get log on details due to new terrorist rules??
We booked half board and found the food to be very good and plentiful. Only thing there is no kids menu which can be a problem for a fussy teenager. But after speaking to the head water he said that we could request anything for my son in the morning at breakfast and they would have it for him in the evening which was fantastic.
We used the spa once, not really impressed, Jacuzzi was out of order the pool could have been a bit warmer. Tried the sauna but it too was a bit cool.
The hotel is about 10 mins walk to the center of town, bars shops etc but it is great for ski to your door, me personally I would rather have ski to the door.
Catch the chair at the back of the hotel and ski to the gondola to Ponte De Legno, we skied here a few days, some great skiing and no queues, in fact it was like having your own private slopes at times as it was so quiet.
Can’t fault Debbie our Crystal rep, she was excellent. We received a call from Debbie the day before were due to travel asking if we were ready to travel and if there was anything we required or any concerns. My daughter had taken ill and was unable to fly, Debbie helped with everything we needed and for info for the insurance etc.
We went on the social ski 3 times with Debbie and had a great time and met some great people. We booked to go to Madonna one day and had a great days skiing, Debbie was great and she knows all the good runs and mountain bars.
We booked 400 euros of credit with Crystal for the hotel; this is a great deal and well worth it. The bar staff were excellent, and very helpful. Free small snacks available at the bar when you arrive for a couple of beers after a great days skiing.
We had everything ski wise, sun, fresh powder and no queues, it just doesn’t get any better.

This is a good hotel and we will go back, the location is great and so is 99% of the staff, with a little bit extra it could be an amazing hotel.
This is not a big resort and for advanced skiers it gets a bit limited by the end of the week, but Ponte De Legno is a hidden gem. Don’t tell anyone as we will be back next year.

Room Tip: If in Ponte De Lengno go to Roccolo Ventura Mountian Restaurant, great place and the owner is terrif...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank buckieloon
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Booked through Crystal ski. Very stylish Italian hotel with fantastic food right on the piste. Standard rooms are ok but a little tired compared to the feel of the rest of the hotel. Also has spa and pool which is also nice at the end of the day. Plenty of good intermediate skiing and bars without the need for walking in ski boots. Crystal also do hotel vouchers you can purchase at a discount in advance. We purchased 2 which gave us €400 to spend on hotel bar and spa. These cost £ 87 each well worth it with 5 of us. My second visit came previously between Christmas and new year 3 years ago which was also good as was the snow.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Two & half hour transfer to resort, non stop so be prepared ! Arrived at Paradiso hotel, swift & easy check in with pleasant staff, we had upgraded to a superior room, well worth it with a contemporary style with balcony over looking the slopes. Hotel pool & spa center all complimentary with excellent facilities. Half board option was excellent, buffet breakfast hot & cold, 4 course dinner, buffet salad starter, choice of first course, choice of main course, then buffet selection of desserts/cheeses. Plenty of choice, food overall excellent. Wine selection very good and reasonable priced. Hotel location great for ski lifts,& next to slopes and village amenities.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

A family ski trip from the 18th to 25th January 2014, (myself, my wife, our two year old boy and grandma) booked through Crystal holidays. The hotel is large, clean and right next to the slopes. Slopes accessed through a few stairs or a short walk to the gondola. The food was excellent with a buffet starter, a choice of one from four main meals (1st and 2nd courses) and buffet dessert. Wine and water not included with the meal, and beware some of the wine is rather expensive for what it is, with the basic starting at 18-20 euros a bottle, but the staff were friendly. The ski room is large, and each room gets a fair size locker, the ski room did suffer from heating problems during our stay resulting in ski/snowboard boots not drying and suffering having to put on wet boots the next day – not an idea start to the day on the slopes. The swimming pool was nice but a little tatty, rather cold one day, with a few cracked tiles, broken lights leaving one end in darkness, none of the bubble jets worked and the Jacuzzi out of order, but the spa staff were very friendly and it was ideal for children to burn off energy during a poor weather day. The children’s play room (the reason we choose this hotel) was advertised as open all day and I even emailed to check/confirm opening times prior to our stay with Martina (the front office manager) and these was confirmed as 10:00-22:00, but it was in fact only open 10:00-11:30 then 15:00 to 18:30 then 19:00 onwards, meaning during cold, bad weather days when we needed it in the afternoon it was closed. We booked two three bed rooms online through Crystal, and with the grateful assistance of our Crystal rep. we did get one large four bed room, and a small twin, instead of two twin/double rooms we had previously been allocated. We had to wait around three hours for our larger room to be available, but I guess this could be understandable on such a busy changeover day. Temperature of both rooms could not be controlled, one room was hot, the other cold. Some hotel reception staff were bordering on uninterested, and not very helpful. WiFi access problems seemed to have occurred through-out the holiday, it took four days for us to eventually get access, mostly password/access problems. In general this is a very nice hotel, but not excellent, and during our visit we suffered from too many little niggles that should not occur in a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family