“Simply Stunning”
Review of Buca Di Baldabo'

Buca Di Baldabo'
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Simply Stunning”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This was recommended in Lonely Planet, which we have found pretty reliable, as 'worth a trip' - it wasn't so far from our base in Barga and we had been in Bagni di Lucca for the afternoon, so we wound our way up the steep hairpin bends to this little village, having rung in the morning to check opening hours as recommended in the book! It certainly was worth the trip. It was without doubt the best food I have ever eaten in Italy. No printed menu - as the lovely woman serving us said - 'I am the menu'- but there was plenty choice and every mouthful was an absolute delight! We had two different pastas for Primi Piatti - a ravioli so thin it was silken in your mouth, filled with wonderfully flavoured wild game, and taglialini with a ragu of sausage, saffron and other tasty stuff I can't remember! I followed this with rabbit with olives, my partner had delicious pork, and we had very drinkable house wine. One thing which struck me was a very subtle but magical use of spices - and some unusual ones - and herbs which lifted the dishes to a new level. Unfortunately for me most of the desserts than night happened to involve almond, which I dislike, but I had yummy meringue with lashings of small sweet strawberries and cream. We both had a couple of drinks on the terrace before which was fun too, bar is well used by locals and full of character. Service was excellent. There were only 3 other tables that night, but it wasn't into high season and I believe at the weekend and holidays it is very busy so booking is advisable. All this for less than 60 Euros! Such great value. Also noticed that families at the other table were very welcomed. As LP said - 'worth the trip'!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank celticchickadee

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Delightful, authentic experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

From the trio of pastas to the torta nonna. Great, well presented rural cooking at its' best. The cook/waitress explained our whole meal in detail and was really helpful. There is no secret to this place. Do not expect haute cuisine. But gnocchi with courgette flower sauce and roe deer in olives with green beans. Simple, tasty and truly hard to beat. Best meal of our week in the area. By far. Bravo.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Tim R
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Probably one of the best meals ever”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were in the area for a wedding and four of us ate here on our last evening. We were told on booking that there was no menu but that we would be told what was available on arrival. I am vegetarian so was a bit apprehensive but I was very well catered for, as were we all. The food was delicious, one of the best meals I've ever had - and my partner is a chef! He too was very impressed.
The lady who served us was lovely and her English is excellent. I told her that if her restaurant was in Manchester there would be a three months waiting list to get a table and she blushed delightfully. Not only was the food, wine and atmosphere fantastic but 3 courses, wine and coffee for four people came to €108, approx. £90.
I would highly recommend anyone travelling in this area of Tuscany to visit this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank maggieB60
Lynton
“Great”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were treated to two dinners by our family who regularly stay at Vico. We were warned that the restaurant was authentic and the menu amazing. We can confirm that this is the case and the welcome from Giovanna and Luisa is special. Two great dinners. Thank you .

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank SportivoLynton
Woodstock, Connecticut
“Lovely view, very nice food”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

A little out of the way, but very well worth the drive up the mountain if you are in the area or stopping through. This is a very pleasant place to have dinner outside. The food is great, but not michelin star, mind you. It is a rustic homey and lovely experience with very friendly service and a fabulous portions for great prices.

• Visited July 2013