“Good and bad!”

Hotel & Terme Bagni di Lucca
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bagni di Lucca
Reviewed 12 June 2013

It was a random choice by me as I had heard about the famous Bagni, so thought I would give it a go. Did an Internet search and this hotel came up as the first choice with both access to the Grotta and being a hotel. Sometimes research is important.

Anyway, my first impressions is that the Bagni Di Lucca Hotel was just a little tired. As I was there I thought I would give it a go. I have only ever been to one other spa type resort and that was in Indonesia, very modern, up to date and a different experience.

So now that I was here, to make the most of it, a walk in the tree filled mountains was very relaxing in itself.
I did walk down to Ponte a Serraglio to have a glass of wine in the early evening, as I had only arrived a couple of hours before. I should of perhaps had dinner down there as it seemed quite an interesting little town, but I had already pre-booked dinner in the hotel.
The dinner was done on a limited pre set menu where you go to chose one dish each sitting, so I had a pasta with crab which I have to say was delicious, the second was a squid in red (tomato) sauce, which was also lovely but heavy, accompanied by spinach. The dining room is a bit aged and was a bit sad really, but the waiter (can't recall his name was a very nice bloke).

Breakfast the next morning, in the same room, was very spartan. Which was a real pity, expecting fruits if nothing else in a Spa.

So I went to the Grotta! Paid the 20€, I think! Was it worth it? I guess as you are there you have to do it. It's just like a hot sauna, possibly, the impression I got, a little bit less well maintained than a Swedish sauna, but it was natural, 46° and 100% humidity. So 20 minutes of sweating, has to be good right?

After that was done, had a deep tissue massage which was good (needed).

So overall, considering that it was about 30km North of Lucca, would I do it gain? No. I've done it now, and it was OK, it was an experience. If you have days to spare and you're over a certain age, then maybe it suits.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Oliver D

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Took a day spa experience at the neighboring renowned Adler Spa and Hotel, which does not live up to its name. This hotel however was a great choice with a small but fine room and a good spa area of its own with a termal pool. Had everything one might need and a good choice while visiting this area. For its price and star-rating, it's perfectly fine.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank swedejetsetter
Reviewed 17 June 2012

It was worth it, if only for the small but serene thermal pool....floating on my back, watching the green hills and sky through the window. We loved the town and the beautiful hills, and took great hikes, right behind the old church by the inn. Instead of dinner there, we wisely had a picnic in our room, with food from the local market. Breakfast was not bad, and the waiter was really nice. Our room was clean and the bathroom spacious.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The only good thing about this hotel was the thermal pool and that was only average. The view was great from our room but everything about the hotel is old and tired. The american receptionist was lovely and was very helpful. Dinner was included in the rate but was horrible....the worst food we have eaten in Italy, and breakfast was just a few scrapes by the time we got to it. Not a good experience

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 20 December 2011

The good:
-nice clean room (stayed in 'superior')
-nice location, village, and view
-super friendly staff
The bad:
-the hotel pool wasnt hot at all
-the natural hotspring was small
-the massage was one of those where you get covered in oil and rubbed instead of massaged...
-it was expensive! I forgot some places charge per person / per night so i was excited at first to know the price, not so much at checkout when i realized it...

Overall there are better thermal spas for the price in my opinion like "Terme di Rapolano", "Bagno Vignoni" and "Saurnia", all in Tuscany...

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I went many times to this hotel that is directly linked to the thermal spa.
People are very kind and friendly, rooms are spacious and well equipped.
High quality staying with low price!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is a 3 and a half star review overall. It's a funny place to critique: Odd location, perched precipitously high on a hill--though I am sure some of the rooms look out over the town and river mine looked out over the old public spa building. It was 79 E for a double (single supplement as i was tired of staying in monastic single rooms) with breakfast (and they did try to have something gluten free for me). I did enjoy the thermal water (included with the room)though the pool is rather small by my standards to be open to the public and guests...and I never heard anything about steam baths in volcanic caves (only sorry I missed it!). but saw massages and such as add on options. The staff were very helpful and nice and the property is clean. It's a few minutes drive down the hill to town for dinner if you don't go for the full board option. No other dining options in walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagni di Lucca
Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa
Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Re...
#1 of 1 in Castelvecchio Pascoli
#5 of 5 in Bagni di Lucca
Hotel Ristorante Milano
Hotel Ristorante Milano
#1 of 2 in Borgo a Mozzano

Been to Hotel & Terme Bagni di Lucca? Share your experiences!