Boboba Il Villaggio
Hotel Florida(Tirrenia)
All reviewsvia emailbus stopjunekitchenkeys
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We booked to stay at Boboba for 3 nights (21st Sept till 24th Sept 09). It only cost £77 so we didn't expect much.

On arrival we were greeted by the friendly receptionist and quickly checked in. They wanted our passports to take copies etc so we left them with her whilst we went to our room. We wasn't asked to leave a deposit.

We were in room/apartment 49. There was a sofa bed, table/chairs for 4, small kitchen (4 hobs only), bedroom with singles pushed together and bathroom with showers.

Kitchen: You are asked if you would like to use the kitchen at reception. Initially we said no as we thought we'd only want to make tea not cook but there is not a kettle so you have to pay for the gas and cook in a saucepan (very dangerous I thought). We did pay but was told to simply turn the gas on under the cupboard so I would think you could possibly do this without paying or just bring a travel kettle.

Bedroom: This was ok. Beds were comfy with clean sheets/blanket. Only problem was it's very damp so the windows are wet in the morning so don't put any clothes underneath. Wardrobe was good size.

Bathroom: YUK!! Best way to describe it. The seat on the toilet doesn't say up as the unit at the back is too forward so you have to hold the seat up and it wasn't very clean. The shower was terrible, mold all over the shower. The 'towels' are a joke, they are just smaller bed sheets so very hard to dry and they don't get changed unless your there for longer than one week.

The general apartment was clean on the surface but actually very dirty (hope that makes sense). I understand we didn't pay a lot but I would expect it to have been cleaner.

We used the pool and that was lovely. I think it's open until end of September. A life guard was around most of the time and it closes at 6pm. Great water slide as well.

We ate in the restaurant. The pizza was lovely but I didn't enjoy my pasta as much as I had others. Service is very slow but if your in no hurry then it's fine.

Just a few things about Pisa.

From the airport we got the bus into the center strain station (about 15mins drive) and it cost 1 Euro each. You can buy a ticket from the ticket station before you leave the airport.

As we had an early flight we decided to leave our luggage at the train station for up to 12 hours is Euros. That was better than going direct to the hotel. We managed to just keep walking straight to the tower, it took about 20-30 mins walk but we wasn't in any hurry.

When we got the bus to the resort, you walk from the station (road opposite) then turn left and then right at the roundabout and bus stop 2.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2009

If you're looking to find a cheap place to stay around Pisa, this is a convenient bus ride from the center. We've been around Europe and this is one of the better deals for the money we've come across. We came into Pisa on a late flight and wanted to get stay one night to see Pisa the next morning and head to Cinque Terre in the late afternoon. There's nothing particularly charming or Italian about it, but it's clean and has a kitchenette. If you want charming, stay in a Tuscan farmhouse B&B, not here.

Here's more detailed instructions of how to get there via public transport, because they could have been helpful for us.

From the airport, find the bus stop and buy a ticket at the kiosk there (Probably safer to pay for the 1.5 hour validity). Also buy another ticket (for 1 hr.) if you're planning on coming back to Pisa by bus later or the next day. Validate your ticket in the little box when you get on the bus. Take the bus to the train station (about 12-15 min.).

From the train station, follow the street facing directly across from the station (Viale Antonio Gramsci) towards the huge square (Piazza Vittorio Emanuele). When we were there, the square was all boarded up for reservations. In any case, once you get to the square take the road directly to the left (Via Nino Bixio). Ahead and just to the left, you should see the bus stops which are in a line, not along the road. Find the one for Marina di Pisa.

When you get on the bus, tell/show the driver the name of the hotel. He/she should recognize it and stop for you. But in case the driver forgets about you (our driver did), keep an eye out. About 40 minutes in, you should go through Marina di Pisa. You'll know when you see the city to your left and the sea to your right. The hotel is JUST AFTER you leave the city. If you watch on your left, you'll see a big lit-up complex that looks like some kind of resort, and the name of the hotel in big letters above. On the right will be a few little restaurants and the sea beyond. Push the button to get off.

1  Thank DeuxExpats
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Myself and my partner arrived on a monday for 3 nights stay and at first was pleasantly surprised as the place seemed good value for money and the facilities seemed adequate. But it all went down hill from then on! The 25 euro charge to use the kitchen seemed bizarre but we were unfazed as we had decided to eat out. I managed to ignore the ant infestation in the bathroom and the towels were more like a very thin cloth! The bed was uncomfortable but I have had worse but the main problem with this hotel is the noise. It appears that this hotel is used as a permenent base for male resort workers who stay up late laughing and joking, watching tv and moving furniture constantly, now dont get me wrong, these workers are not rowdy but I would say the problem is the walls are very thin and you can hear every word and even them using the toilet. Also I would strongly advise single females or small parties of females to steer clear of this hotel as when you walk around the grounds of an evening there are men everywhere in bushes and in the gardens and all appear to be alone and using mobiles etc.. this could be quite intimidating. After my second sleepless night I complained to reception about the noise and was told that the hotel was full and nothing could be done, I did stress that the noise was not rowdy behaviour but neverless enough to prevent a decent nights sleep and requested a move away from the workers and with the other holidaymakers. I was told this was not possible as the hotel was full and promptly booked into a hotel in tirrenia the next morning. When I informed reception I was leaving they amazingly had found room elsewhere in the hotel and said they would move me! I preferred to pay an extra 80 euros to stay elsewhere and have a decent sleep. If you can sleep through a tornado on a rubbish bed then maybe this place is for you as I quite liked the pool and location of the hotel. The restaurant at the front of the hotel is decent value and the service was pleasant and food was great. Steer clear of the pizzeria opposite the hotel as they overcharged my bill by about 20 euro but I was that tired from my sleepless nights I did not realise untill the next day! also there is a fish restaurant on the opposite side of the road towards the marina (next to the michelin star restaurant) the staff made us wait 15 mins before we were seated (half empty at the time) a further ten mins before we were given our menus only to be told our choices from the menu were not possible! brilliant! I would try the hotel golf in tirrenia, rooms were decent, nice pool, staff very pleasant and some really nice places to eat nearby.

Reviewed 20 May 2009

My wife and I stayed in at the Boboba il Villaggio in Marina di Pisa for a nice early summer getaway and found it to be a tremendous value. Though probably considerably busier in the high season, we found the town to be quiet and relaxing in mid-May when we stayed there. Our room was clean and comfortable and had a lovely balcony. We kept expenses down by self-catering - there is a supermarket a few minutes down the road - though there is indeed a 25 Euro surcharge for use of the kitchenette. The pool had just opened when we were there, but the cool looking water slide was still closed. Too bad. In any case, Marina is a choice destination as it is far enough away from the big cities to allow for a relaxed beach vacation, but close enough to allow easy access to Pisa, Lucca, and Florence, if you so desire.

A few logistical tips for others thinking about this hotel: to reach Boboba, take the bus into town from the airport and get off at the bus station (it's not well marked, but it's just a block or so past the central train station). You want route 10 (you queue up at Corsa 2) toward either Tirrenia or Livorno. It comes every 30 minutes or so. One-way tickets are 1.80, though you will notice that most locals tend not to pay. The trip takes about 30 minutes and you can get off right in front of the hotel (look for the water slide and the flags).

Reviewed 12 April 2009

Boboba Il Villagio is a bit tricky to describe as it's not a hotel but not individual apartments either, kind of a mix between the two. We went in the low season, so the swimming pool and water activities were not open - I would imagine during the summer it's quite a busy place with a theme park type vibe.

The rooms have a small kitchenette (for which they sneakily add a 25 Euro surcharge) so if you're staying for a little while it's nice to go to the local supermarket to have a taste of all the lovely things the locals get to eat daily. There's an InCoop about a kilometer away and I'd happily do all my shopping there for the next year or two!

The amenities are pretty basic and easy to keep clean (terracotta tiles, etc) which is useful as there's no hotel service. There's also a washing machine on site and a large drying rack to keep clothes in rotation. The linen towels are interesting, gives a new meaning to the term 'bath sheet'.

The staff comprised a couple of women behind the reception desk, they were pretty unpleasant although they offered a map or two of the area if desired.

Marina di Pisa is quite isolated, meaning that to go pretty much anywhere you'd need a car or take the local busses. A 6-day bus ticket is around 10 Euro, although it was interesting to note that most people just get on and off without paying anything. There must be a nice state subsidy! Tirrenia is a couple of minutes, or a nice walk down the coast, although it can hardly be described as the nearest 'big town'. A charming place, if a little touristy with all the restaurants, nice for the evening passagiata. Pisa and Livorno are close, Firenze is a just a train away from Pisa.

Overall, not a bad place to stay although I'm not really sure of the advantages over renting a proper apartment instead.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family