“Cretaiole is heaven on earth!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pienza
Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our family has stayed at Cretaiole five times and we are even more excited for our next trip:)
Each time just keeps getting better as Isa and her family provide for your every need. This April we were pleasantly surprised by a beautiful basket full of everything you can imagine for our first dinner and breakfast at the farm. Of course, it all came right from the farm! Once again, Isa has thoughtfully provided for her guests knowing that many have just arrived and are jet lagged.
We have a difficult decision every year deciding on a vacation - nothing quite compares to Cretaiole... Also, our daughter was married at Cretaiole overlooking the Val Dorcia. Isa was the perfect wedding planner. If this isn't on your bucket list you need to revise it:)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mstge

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Picking the best thing about Cretaiole is difficult because it's all so delightful. Our apartment was spacious and beautiful, the setting was gorgeous, and the activities were terrific for our three generations. The Dolce Vita package was good because of the abundant fresh food provided, plus the trip to the farm, the tour of the hermitage, oil tasting lesson, and pasta making class gave us insight into the people of this area. Carlotta made it all fun. Isabella's book of additional nearby destinations with detailed directions made travel in the area easier than we expected. Monks chanting at the abbey, yoga in a monastery, mud baths in a thermal pool, bike rides on the white roads - these are cherished family memories now, and we are grateful to the Moricciani family for making it all possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Carol C
Reviewed 22 June 2014

How can words adequately describe a perfect vacation and adequately thank those that made it so wonderful? Since we returned home, everyone has asked us about our trip to Italy. And our response is always “ it was the best vacation we have ever had.” We have been on some incredible trips over the years to gorgeous places, so everyone wants to know what made this one the best. The answer is that everything about it was wonderful and one of the best experiences of our lives. The scenery was so beautiful that sometimes you had to stop and remind yourself that it was real. The food and wine were amazing whether purchased at the coop or in a local restaurant. The authentic experiences that were arranged for us were something that one could never duplicate on their own and all are highly recommended. The places we stayed were incredible. We thoroughly enjoyed our week at Cretaiole. It was so charming, relaxing, and comfortable. We loved being part of the countryside and nature, and experiencing a bit of Tuscan farm life. Our week at Casa Moricciani was better than a stay at any 5 star resort. Every detail had been considered and we looked forward each morning to Carlo’s arrival with some new homemade treat. The view was so amazing that you couldn't stop looking at it and pictures just cannot do it justice. Being a part of the life of the charming little town of Castelmuzio was unforgettable. The history, the weather, the art..… But most importantly, it was the Tuscan people and the thousands of large and small acts of kindness which made it so incredibly special. We were overwhelmed by the generosity of every person we met there. We cannot thank the Moricciani family, as well as their extended family, enough for making us feel not just like honored guests, but like members of the family. After 3 weeks, we are usually ready to get back home, but this time we hated to leave. We are already planning a return visit and could easily repeat every single thing and not be disappointed. Grazie Mille to Isa, Carlo, Luciano, Liliana, Carlotta, Laura, and all of the lovely people of Val d’Orcia.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MerrittsMom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I had a delightful stay at La Cretaiole in May. The setting is beautiful, high on a hill over looking the Val D'Orcia with Pienza in the distance. Our room Il Pollaio was charming, comfortable and functional, a lovely place to stay. We signed up for the "Dolce Vita" package and were very pleased that we did. There is a lots of choice for things to do. Two we especially enjoyed were the "trek" through the Val D'Orcia and the visit to the ancient hermitage. Carlotta, who led some of our excursions, answered our questions and cheered us on during the "pici" making lesson was a joy to spend time with, as were all the Moricciani family. Isabella, Carlo and Luciano all made us feel very welcome. Everyone seemed dedicated to seeing that we had a great time and learned as much as we wanted about life in Tuscany.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WendyBruce
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The reviews below provide all the amazing details, so I'll just add my voice to the resounding chorus of 'Excellent!' for the Cretaiole experience. It goes so far beyond being a lovey place to stay in a beautiful location. If you're looking for a real Tuscan experience (and a wonderful level of comfort) Cretaiole can't be beat.
We stayed in il granario and found it lovely and quiet, with amazing views.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suejohnw
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A friend and I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at Cretaiole the first week of April, 2014. Each day, we would look at each other and say,"Wow! How lucky we are to be staying in such a wonderful place." We stayed in a beautiful, well restored one bedroom/one bath apartment that had a sofa in the living room that made into a bed. I have to say, I have never slept in a bed more comfortable than this sofa bed! The apartment was beautifully furnished and perfect! We added the "Dolce Vita" option and I highly recommend it. There was so much food and wine included, and we put it all to good use, as we had a picnic with it every day while visiting the surrounding areas. Wonderful! Isabella has put together a tour guide for everyone to use during their stay. This guide is better than any guide book you could find for Tuscany. She has put countless hours into the guide and it shows. Fantastic source of information. Of course, if it is possible to have a question about Tuscany (I doubt you will after going through this guide), you can always ask Isabella, Carlo, or Carlotta. Isabella, also has set up many tour options for the visitors to Cretaiole. One of them, the "Romitorio" or Hermitage tour is a tour of the Etruscan Tomb on their property. I highly recommend this tour. It is so interesting!!! And the views are breathtaking. Another activity Isabella set up for everyone was the "Cucina Povera cuisine @ Taverna da Roberto" in Montisi. It is not to be missed if you have an opportunity to go here. The food, atmosphere, wine were perfect. Roberto is a wonderful host and explains the "slow food" movement in Italy as you are enjoying his delicious food and wine. The same is true of the for the wine and food pairing at La Porta with Daria in Monticchiello. Daria is a fantastic hostess and explains each wine she serves you. You feel as if you took a wine class while you ate your wonderful meal, and enjoyed the beautiful relaxed atmosphere. There was also a wonderful wine tour set up for those of us staying at Cretaiole at the Nostra Vita Winery. Wonderful caring people, with wonderful wines, food and hospitality! A beautiful afternoon! Much to my regret, as I had looked forward to the Pici making evening, I was not able to attend the Pici making, or the dinner afterward. My friend was able to attend, and loved all of it. Isabella was kind enough to share the recipe with me, so I will try making it later. I was also unable to attend the tour of Pienza, but having spent some time with Carlotta, I know it would have been a very interesting, fun and wonderful tour. This leads me to explain why I was not able to attend, and to brag a little on Italy's emergency services. I want to add this, so everyone that stays at Cretaiole knows what a wonderful experience this actually turned out to be with the help of Isabella, Carlo, Luciano, and especially Carlotta. Thursday evening, I had what could have been a serious breathing episode. Isabella felt like we should call the doctor (yes they have doctors that make house calls). Within just a few minutes, our room was full of emergency volunteers! It was unbelieveable how wonderful all of these people were! The doctor, and an assistant showed up within a couple minutes afterward. He did a few portable tests, such as an EKG, etc. After listening to my lungs, he felt like I should go to the hospital for an X-ray. He went with me in the ambulance. Within a few minutes of arriving, my friends showed up, along with Carlotta. Carlotta was a life saver, as she interpreted everything for us. She stayed with us the entire time we were in the emergency room. The next day, I heard a knock on the door of our room, and Isabella had gone to get my medicine for me. Carlo and Luciano both stopped by that day to check on me. I want to mention this, to show what wonderful, caring people you have at Cretaiole. Isabella, Carlotta, Carlo, and Luciano want your stay to be the very best you can experience......and they exceed at this 100%!!! I will be going back to Cretaiole again and again! I will never stay any place else in Tuscany. It is the perfect location...beautiful views of the Tuscan hills, and the most wonderful people associated with it.

Room Tip: If you need an extra bed, do not hesitate to pick an apartment with a sofa bed. They are truly the m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We recently spent a delightful week at Cretaiole in Tuscany. The agenda for our first day there was a 90-minute meeting just to go over all the optional activities the Moricciani family offers. There are choice to meet every taste, and we thoroughly enjoyed every option. An informative hike with Gary (an ex-pat) was great. A dinner at La Porta (5 wines paired with 5 courses) was another highlight. The common gathering place on the verandah is welcoming--whether it's learning pici-making from Isabella, or drinking grappa late-night with patriarch Luciano, it's an experience not to be missed. The "dolce vita" option was well worth it.

Room Tip: We were 2 couples and we stayed in Il Granaio. The fireplace was wonderful.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple