“unique.awesome.perfect for families.”

Ranked #11 of 32 Pienza B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“unique.awesome.perfect for families.”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

John has created an amazing experience, from the group dinners where you make lasting friendships, to the Ortiga bath soaps, to the blend of high-end moderism against the ancient hills. The suggestions are perfect. The rooms glorious. The pool perfect. A can't-miss expeience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here because of a first-hand recommendation from some close friends. The other reviews say it all really. Quite a unique place. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of the lounging, swimming, reading and (of course) dining. The harvest style (big table, all guests) dining seemed peculiar at first but we ended up loving that we could share the incredible setting, food and wine with other interesting travellers. My only comment would be to not expect any wine miraculously gifted as inferred on the website - fine by me but a small thorn in the side of my frugal loves-the-occasional-freebie-especially-when-anticipated wife! Although, having said that, chef Dario did prepare some extraordinary desert for us the one night we arrive home late after making the mistake of dining elsewhere! Planning to revisit with friends in the future. An incredible experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I'll try not to go over the same ground as some of the other favorable reviews, but agree with all. Simply Amazing. This is a wonderful place and you will not make a mistake coming here.

I had the joy of planning a family vacation for 15 people, including three generations. After being burned three years ago on internet pictures that did not meet reality on our last family vacation (to Brittany -- a story for another TA post), I was combing through photos of villas all over Tuscany looking for flaws. After reading about La Bandita in a magazine, I contacted John Voigtmann, the owner, and found out we could rent out La Bandita for the week. Mainly on John's personality and the strength of the reviews on this website, I put my family credibility on the line and booked the trip. While I was nearly suicidal on the drive from the main road to the house -- one of the reviewers is right, it's really more of a sheep path than a road, once we got to La Bandita and found our rooms, all stress melted away.

Working with John Voigtmann and Elena (one of the hosts you will meet), we were able to plot the week out with visits to Pienza (Paola's hometown - another host), Montepulciano (visiting two great winemakers), and Montalcino, all of which are close by and all of which were great, but we returned each afternoon to relax and enjoy La Bandita. Each night was different for dinner -- one afternoon we had cooking lessons with Dario and then dinner, another outside on the deck with the fire pit, another with Simone making all sorts of pizza in the brick pizza oven. This place is truly special.

We stayed as a family and took over the place, so our experience is not entirely on target with someone looking for a hotel room, but other than La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza, you won't find a place like La Bandita in the Val D'Orcia.

Room Tip: Room 6 on the second floor has the best view. Room 1 (right under 6) has a private breakfast patio...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at La Bandita following a two week journey through Italy and of all the stays, this one was without doubt the most inspiring.

First and foremost the story of leaving behind the big cities to open up a Tuscan farmhouse is a fleeting dream many of us have considered on a Monday morning, but here is living proof it can be done (and a book in the lounge photographing the adventure...)

A meeting of classic Rustic charm, and contemporary NYC loft comforts it is unique and warm in equal measure. The staff are fantastic - be it providing you with breakfast 'whenever you get up' and not to worry about rushing, through to your own Chef putting on fantastic fresh produce for dining under the stars out on the terrace in the evenings. Special mention should also go to an excellent Wine menu of Brunellos to accompany dinner.

..And then there's the turntable with a vintage collection of records to chill with in the evening/ crank up the Rolling Stones originals as applicable.

Last but not least, a pool with views over the countryside with waterguns for kids (and big kids too) to unwind with after a tough day wine tasting.

All in all, a truly unique and wonderful home from home in Tuscany. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Andrew

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MrSleath
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2013

La Bandita doesn't need any more ecstatic reviews. Just look below. But the experience is so unique that I have to add my voice to the chorus.
If you want ostentation or conspicuous luxury, go somewhere else.If three kilometres of probably the worst road in Europe upsets you, do likewise. But if you want a warm, discreet and spectacularly beautiful destination, with excellent cuisine, spotless housekeeping and tactful intuitive coddling, this stands head and shoulders above anything I have ever experienced. We were a family party of ten, in age ranging from 15 to 70. Every one of us was blown away.
It's not cheap, but the best never is, and this is the best out there. And a gourmet meal cooked by Dario is, at €40, excellent value. Good wines available to, at sensible prices.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lavochkin
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2013

What a special place. A beautiful new hotel that surrounds you with warmth, great service and unbelievable attention to detail. I would highly recommend it to the most discerning traveler. John is awesome as is the rest of the staff. I'm already planning our return visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen B
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This is quite simply the most beautiful setting for a lovely farmhouse I've ever encountered. It was luxurious and rustic equally. I was amazed at how delightful the entire staff was during our 5 day stay and I highly recommend spending the extra for stay in the Pig Stye Suite. I felt so at home, I literally cried when it was time to leave. The breakfast was delish, the recommendations for day trips excellent and the charm was indescribable. I just can not say enough good things about our experience and I hope to return again & again. Perfection = LaBandita.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank TZalenski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pienza
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
#1 of 17 in Montalcino
Castello di Velona Resort, Thermal Spa & Winery
Castello di Velona Resort, Therm...
#1 of 1 in Castelnuovo dell'Abate
Relais La Saracina
Relais La Saracina
#6 of 7 in Pienza
Rosewood Castiglion Del Bosco

Been to La Bandita? Share your experiences!