“The Alcide. An Oasis In a Desert of Overprice”
Review of Hotel Alcide

Hotel Alcide
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Poggibonsi
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I spent a day in the Tuscan town of San Gimignano, the beautiful but crowded little jewel in the Italien tourist crown. I had no luck getting a Hotel room there. They was either fully booked or quite simply extortionate. I made my way down the valley and stumbled across the town of Poggibonsi. It was beautiful. The first hotel I saw on entering the town was the Hotel Alcide in the Via Marconi. The rooms were the most reasonably priced I have ever encountered in all my Italien travels. The room was clean, bright, cool and well aired. The restaurant was a delight to dine in and the food of a quality I did not expect to encounter in such a small town. The staff were kind and welcoming and were always cheerful and smiling stay in the Alcide. You will not be disappointed. The money you save can be spent on the fine Chianti of the region.
The town itself is just perfectly Tuscan. It has a small cinema the Garibaldi and plenty of little shops to buy gifts.
Just a few miles from San Gimignano my advice is book your overnight (or longer term)

Room Tip: I was at the front of the hotel in a top floor room. Perfect. Beautiful view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sirwiltonshagpile
markusiena, Manager at Hotel Alcide, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Guest
We are happy to read your kind review.
Our hotel is ideally located to reach the main centers such as the Chianti area, Florence, Siena and San Gimignano and all of our rooms are comfortable and equipped with all facilities.
Also, our restaurant of centenary tradition, always offers a wide selection of Tuscan as well as fish dishes.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Marco Rossi and the hotel staff

Reviewed 13 April 2013

The hotel is modern looking, rooms are large, very quiet and spotless. The staff is friendly and helpful (ask them for tips on where to eat and you won't be disappointed) and services include free Wi-Fi, buffet breakfast and a lot of information about many thing to do and where: a real concierge service. the location is great because is in the middle of tuscany so you can enjoy a lot of 'one day visit' in many different beautiful cities (like siena, san gimignano, florence, etc, without the high price that the city has). I'd stay at Hotel Alcide any day. my 2 cents: TRY THE RESTAURANT.

Room Tip: the superior room are really better
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dud c
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Thanks a lot, Dud!
We have the pleasure to share Your kind words with all the staff in order to improve our work with the consciousness that we can always increase our efforts to reach our goals and satisfy our guests in their relaxing moments.
We appreciate your consideration and we look forward to have you in our hotel once again in the near future. So we’ll have the possibility to let you taste all of our delightful specialities that our chefs prepare.
Our best regards.......
hope to see you soon

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed here one night as a group, travelling throughout Italy.
This hotel appeared pretty OK at first sight, but when looking closer this was not the case at all!
Not even talking about the service AT ALL!

Service was terrible! Personnel at the front desk was aweful. Asking for free wifi, AS OFFERED ON THEIR WEBSITE, they wouldn't give me access. When asking why not, they simply ignored me and even asking me to shut up. Then they told me it was broken, which was not the case as I could visit theit own online website. Later, they told me it was only for business, which is not stated in any policy or anywhere at all. Front desk staff let me feel like I was bothering them and made up excuses in order not to help me!

Sorry, I've stayed, during this group visit, in lots of 3 star hotels, none offering service as bad as this one! If Wifi is a paid service, I agree. But why publishing on your website it is included as a free service when on arrival it was not!

Rooms themselves were damaged on doors, shower,...
They put an extra bed in their 2 persons room ("upgrading" it to 3 persons) which made the room way too small: not being able to open our closet.
Also, an alarm button was placed next to a light button, because of that, I did not want to put on the light during the night.

We had a dinner in the hotel which was pretty tasty but VERY basic: 2 types of paste (without any meat/fish/...) as first and second dish and a dessert which you could also buy in the super market a few miles away from the hotel.

Breakfast was simple though reasonable considdering the fact we stayed there as a large group. Many of the plates were still dirty!

As said, at first sight hotel appeared pretty good, but pretty much everything disappointed me!
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your considerations . Your vehemence shows clearly how important for you is to have participated at this school tour as a student. I really appreciate it.
Let me personally apologize for the fact that it has not been possible for you to have wi fi access but I am sure you will understand that in our e mail correspondence it was very clear that our hotel services for students never include wi fi . We have always offered wi fi connection to tour leaders but not to the students.
Referring to general terms and conditions applying to all agreements between the hotel and the School Institute it has also been very clear that we provided multiple occupancy for the student groups.
We are always pleased to offer free wi fi access in our hotel for our guests but in certain conditions such as those agreed between your school and our hotel wi fi is not included. Your school teachers and drivers have always expressed great satisfaction during their yearlong experience at our hotel.
I also understand the kind of protest you bring in your words regarding the menu.
Our menus included 2 first courses and the teachers were really grateful for this kind of restaurant service. I informed the restaurant chef about the problems you say you have experienced during the dinner but I verified that your words were not true.
On departure day I talked to the teachers and they all expressed their great satisfaction to the staff for the experience they’ve had during their stay at the hotel.
So I can conclude by saying I presume you were not satisfied with your stay because of the fact that you have not had a wi fi access and I confirm there was a specific agreement between the School Institute who arranged the tour and our hotel about the wi fi access.
I regret that no enough information was provided to you about this point but I can say I am sure that you will experience a delightful stay in Tuscany next time and I personally assure that during your next stay in our hotel you will be a very special guest. So you will have the choice(may be as an adult/teacher in the future) to appreciate how much effort we put in our work avoiding spectacularization and at the same time improving the quality and maintaining a long term trust relationship between our Hotel Firm and the School Institute.
I look forward to see you soon

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel four nights and I was very pleased. The hotel is located in middle of Tuscany and that makes it great "base camp" for visiting Sam Gimignano, Chiantti wine are etc.
You can reach enen the smaller destination in Tuscany with the bus from center of the city. The restaurant of the hotel is wonderful and fish is exceptionally goood there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I couldn't believe to stay in a hotel for only 34 euro. Free wi-fi, sky in the room... and also a good restaurant. The reception stuff is very helpfully. That's really good value for your money. The only thing that I have to underscore is that the hotel is really vintage, but I didn't care too much. I will come back

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Dear Bill
I thank you for your words of appreciation we have been working very hard to rise the standard of our quality of the service trying not to rise the price of the rooms with simple things that have great conversion feedbacks! We have new ideas for this year just stated so I sure you will find something new next time you decide to come an visit Chianti Area again!
I wish you a great beginning of the year!
My best,

Reviewed 18 January 2013

We spent the day wine tasting and visiting the Chianti area with friends. We had eaten previously at Alcide since one of our friends is related to the owners and had a fantastic lunch, so when they suggested dinner we agreed as we knew there was a hotel attached and did not want to drive after consuming wine with dinner. Our room, on the 5th floor, was quiet, dark and perfect for sleeping late. The breakfast was substantial, although we were still quite full from dinner! When presented with the hotel bill we thought they had made a mistake as it was so low for such a nice room. Loved the split bathroom with shower and sink in one area and sink, toilet and bidet in another. Definitely would recommend this hotel for nice, inexpensive hotel in the middle of a fabulous area.

Room Tip: We had room 513.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Dear Sir,
We would like to thank you very much for your kind words.
Every efforts of our staff is made to ensure the stay of our guests comfortable and we thank you very much for your consideration.
See you soon …..

Reviewed 24 November 2012

We (young couple) booked 4 nights at the Alcide due to the good tripadvisor reviews. The outside looks extremely run down. While the rooms are refurbished and quite ok, there were several things that made our stay there not enjoyable at all. First and foremost, it was really loud in the room. We asked for a room away from the main street and were told that all rooms face that side, but the room is on the fifth floor so it should be fine. It wasn't – the traffic was really loud, apart from that you could hear people speaking in front of the hotel in the middle of the night. The doors of the rooms (and inside) are really old and therefore slam loudly whenever someone goes into or out of his room. We thought our phone was ringing, when someone called a guy in the hallway. Also, the rooms are generally clean but windows are quite filthy, bathroom has a shower curtain in the tub that is way too long, so you have to step onto it. We also found a hair in our bed and in the sink. There's only one WLAN password per room, with which you cannot use 2 devices at the same time – not a big problem, but still: why? Breakfast is decent, baked goods, joghurt and fruits. Had to ask for cheese and ham first, however. Poggibonsi's city center is quite nice and ok to get dinner elsewhere than the hotel. All in all we would not recommend to stay in this hotel – we really could not catch a good night of sleep there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
markusiena, Manager at Hotel Alcide, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2012

Dear profession tourist,
thanks for your review and to have chosen us following the other reviews of the expert review-er.
Please accept our excuse for what’s happened during your staying in our hotel.
The published photos confirm our vintage looking and the room on the 5th floor that you get for 4 days is considered by us not noisy. We think that at the 5th floor, about 30 mt. high, is not possible to listen the people on the ground floor, anyway they’ve got the right to talk.
Our doors are old, but if they slam not depends on age, but the bad education of some person.
Wi-fi, that we offer for free to everyone, is not connected to the room. We had group of people that received 4 connections for each room. If you get only one connection it was for our mistake, and we’re very sorry for that.
We’re also sorry for the bad episode of the hair founded on the bed and in the toilet at your arrival, we asked about that to our cleaning staff, but we didn’t received any confirm. For the next time we suggest to advise us immediately, so we can provide to change the room and avoid this kind of episodes without staying three days in a room with so many problems.
Please come back to visit us to let you try the good hospitality and the Good Taste of our restaurant that you not suggest to anyone, but, maybe, if you try, you can change your mind. Our restaurant has got 160 years of good Tuscany tradition.
We wait you, so we can offer a well-done hospitality. All the staff work a lot to give to all our guest good moment of relax. If this didn’t work with you, we can only be sorry and pray you, if you come back, to communicate immediately the problems.
I want to underline that to write down about a bad event about the relax of our guests during the staying is correct if you gave the possibility to smooth things over, as well as create a good feeling with our guests to give them good moment of relax and a good staying.
This event happen this time for a bad communication.
We remain at your disposal waiting for you…