“Agree with Isle of White party”
Review of Parc Hotel

Parc Hotel
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The review below from the Isle of White is very accurate. We agree with everything they have said. Our only comment is that towards the end of our holiday in September the food choice did seem to go downhill. Not such a good variety but then there did not seem many people staying.
The cleanliness of the hotel is great. Free safes, free bus to the town was an added bonus for us. Entertainment staff very good. Excellent indoor pool and gym. Would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I had the misfortune to stay at this hotel which promused so much on the Crystal / Thompson website, all inclusive good for kids. I have travelled with Thompson many times and have never felt a need to write a review, I'm not someone that goes on holiday to complain.
Where do I start?
Staff were rude treated you as a hindrance to them.
Food same old same old every day, and all inclusive treated like second class customers. Their golfers and coach parties who paid for the food had a better choice and better dressed tables, we were told not to touch some of the displayed food because we were All inclusive!!
Waiters miserable and restaurant manager equally so.
Pools freezing and miles form any drinks or toilets.(Furthest away pool did have a toilet)
Soft drinks and wine had to be obtained from machines with a key.
Kids had no entertainment during day, night time entertainment a joke
Missed welcome meeting because the staff didn't know where it was being held, they didn't really care frankly.
No snacks anywhere, you could get some if you paid
Told by reception staff there were no free ice creams for the kids, however a fellow brit pointed us in the right direction and we found them, three lollies banana, strawberry or lemon.
Lunch open till 14.30 hrs, one day arrived at 14.00 hrs just to watch the food being taken away in front of us.
Free bus to Peschiera was reliable and the driver was the only staff member possessing any customer service skills.

I will never darken this hotels doors again

Regards

Alistair Kelly, Hants

Room Tip: Heres a tip, dont go there
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank alistair k
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I was concerned at some reviews here. I needed have been. If your asking me if I would recommend this hotel my short answer would be a huge YES.

Thankyou Parc Hotel we had a wonderful time & met some lovely people, the staff in the evening were fun, the food and drink on the whole enjoyed, and the free bus a bonus!

No golf ball missiles, a few dogs and kids, lots of eating and drinking!

Read on if you want to hear it all…my longer answer for those interested would be…

Transfer from airport was a private taxi with just us in (we booked through Thomas Cook) as you walk out the airport the rep is waiting for you to show you to your transport, on return it was a very posh minibus with us and just one other couple. Now other than being handed an envelope this was the first, last and only we saw of our rep, other holiday providers saw their rep everyday! We did not want much but had a number to ring if we did want anything.

Now the resort is very clean with modern facilities, lots of conferencing facilities, so be warned it is a hotel used for weddings and conferences, something on everyday.

The big bonus for us was the free bus going in and out of Pechiera, early till late everyday, but beware the bus, lake boats, trains, and everything stop between 12:30 and about 14:30, so plan your trips and ask for timetables at reception, or print online before you go. The excursions had good reports but again you can save a lot of money by planning trips under your own steam, but of course you have the inconveniences of waiting for connections but the bonus of your own timings and itinerary.

The golf course looks amazing but we don’t play so looking at it was as close as we got.
Never saw a rogue golf ball cross the fence and never saw anyone hit by a golf ball. The gym is very modern, very technical and the indoor pool is fantastic, never more than half a dozen people swimming but you need swimming caps, these are expensive at the hotel so we bought for £1 online and took with us.

The outdoor pools are also lovely; being September they were on the fresh side, but there is so much room you could have a pool to yourself anytime of day! Sure it’s not same at peak times. The quality of the towels, dressing gowns and slippers provided for free are also superb, and we used these to get to and from the pools (the Hotel provide both towels for use in the room and swimming towels) but don’t leave them or lose them as you will be charged.

The room & our balcony were immaculate, with free safe, and a fridge (we did not use the minibar – just space in the fridge). There is a few areas to use including 2 poolside bars, 1 for all inclusive and the other cash. You can walk to the restaurant and bar at the golf resort again this is a cash bar. We do not use wifi/broadband but lots were using tablets/laptops/phones I understood this was provided free but not that fast, depending on your location in the hotel.

A worrying thing on booking this holiday for us…the all-inclusive package…we enjoyed very much, no one mentions here the beer is 4.8%abv Italian lager, you pay nearly £5 a pint here in UK for this kind of quality and its very good, the wine was also very palatable, the choice of spirits superb around 8 choices including Grape and Amerato, so not just Gin/Vodka/Brandy/Scotch, they have tonic but no slimeline & we took ice and never had any reaction. The coffee from the machines was also very good and the espresso as good as anywhere, and of course you could have a double/treble if you want.

The snackbar was a pathetic looking few biscuits and a kind of pretzel-party-snacks-mix which sat there allday everyday until 18:00. Apparently a swiss roll style cake was there in afternoon but we never bothered to take tea in the afternoon so never saw. Overall I would not call this a snack bar or a good selection. You could get ice lollies from pool bar which were included in all-inclusive package, reminded me of the plain white paper ones like supermarket own brands, we did not have one but the few kids we saw seemed to be enjoying them. If you want better quality they had a large range for sale, you are allowed to spend money if you feel you want something that is not provided!

Now these much discussed machines, this caused us concern with all the talk of keys and walking great distances, I though the system worked ok, for water and soda and wine, you walked to a machine, turned your key and helped yourself. The machines were close by pool, dining hall and piano bar, did not find walking distance to get drink unacceptable at anytime!

Of course don’t lose your key as you will be charges €20 – we took a keyring to increase our chances of not losing key – which worked for us!

We eat out a lot in UK and on Holiday so like our food. The dining hall is large but not a cafeteria, it has a very efficient service staff to remove used plated, and the tables do have table clothes and proper napkins. It was more restaurant than café. Just large.

Food, you get your 3 meals a day, and each day varies…

Breakfast
Coffee, tea, juice, waters. Cereal, yoghurts, fruit, breads/toast, butter, jams, preserves, honey, nuttella, cakes, cold meats, sliced cheese, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, tomatoes.

The fruit all round seemed to start off fantastically fresh and a huge selection including melon then gradually got worse – we assumed a weekly delivery. The cooked breakfasts are nothing like we have in the UK, most would say it was more crispy ham & hot dogs, I found the cereal bland and milk weird so coffee and toast most mornings for me with lovely jam and honey, tried 4 different breads including black bread! Cakes were a bit stale I thought.

Lunch
Cold meats and a some cheeses, breads, lots of salads, then a pasta choice, always chips, and a meat or fish. Either a dessert or ice cream on offer.

We enjoyed lunches, the chips very tasty, but of course with pasta your having double carbohydrate, the pastas varied, some really superb and some not great, but take a little try and go back for more, or try something else. Salad good, but with everything it may not be as in UK and have a spice, oil or flavour. The rare roast beef and turkey curry I enjoyed most and the Ice Cream fantastic with a range of 6 or 7 flavours.

Dinner
Soup, cold meats, range of cheeses, a carvery (best was turkey and gammon) a fresh fish, casseroles, meats in sauces, vegetables, loads of desserts, ice cream, so much choice!

Again we enjoyed our evening meals, I liked the soups each evening and wife enjoyed carvery, some meats are served with gravies, I had a lovely liver dish with onions and apple, never tried that before and will recreate at home, the cheese selection in the evening is very good, as are the desserts, we retired to piano bar to take coffee from the machine after. But the menu shows you may order coffee at the table – just pay for it if you want it there and then.

Staff
Dining Staff do not pay much attention it seems to us, I thought as we are all inclusive! You don’t carry cash so don’t tip after you meal, others not on all-inclusive are tipping and get more attention from staff when receiving waiter service from the paid menu, I saw this first hand when a couple sat by us each day on their reserved table got hugs and kisses on arrival, and on their last day handed the staff a good looking tip, maybe I am cynical or maybe if we made more effort than polite hello’s and thankyou’s we would have received more service. But I helped myself and did not really ask them anything, if bothered you could try harder or try tipping! They were in no way rude or not professional, like the bar staff some friendly and some could smile more, if some could smile just once it would be nice!!

The funniest and most warming of staff are the Tuca Tuca Club Staff, they helped make our holiday with the silly games and dancing. Miriam taught Pilates and keep fit, and was very social in the evenings along with her girl friends, and Max (a self-described Mr Bean) always makes you laugh, you can get as involved or not with the entertainment, which included, a music quiz, live musicians (some really good, some ok and some a bit loud) and some dancing, lucky for us the bingo was called off!!

So finally you are asked to vacate room by 10:00am on day of departure. Be aware the City Tax will be required on departure €6 per person per week. The hotel offers to store your luggage until your pick up time, the pick up times for your provider is found in folders 24hrs before the day od departure. The hotel leaves your all-inclusive band and key so you can help yourself to drinks, and have meals until you leave, and if you wish to swim ask at well-centre and they will show you the changing room/showers and provide a towel.

As I say we saw people with dogs, did not bother me in anyway, same as the few kids seemed to be enjoying themselves and did not bother us at all, I think you will find what you want at this resort, or plenty to moan about if you want.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view.
3  Thank sean_iow
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights on an "all inclusive" basis. We have traveled extensively throughout Italy and have stayed at everything from big name hotels and agriturismi. This was our first experience of an all inclusive package. We are a couple in our mid-30s.

PROS:

- Hotel very clean
- Room change organised at our request (but only after one night)
- Plenty of food choice available for all eaters (children, vegetarians etc)
- Indoor pool, gym, as well as a very clean and pretty (and separate) pool area for adults

CONS
- Miserable, snooty reception staff (I speak Italian, so not a case of lost in translation)
- Dining room has zero atmosphere. Feels like a uni canteen with insipid green table cloths
- Ridiculously early dining time (6.30 - 8.30pm). This is Italy, after all!!
- Terrible, TERRIBLE wi-fi, which is only available in the lobby.
- Limited seating for couples in the dining hall. You're expected to "bunch up" with other diners.

We spent time around the entire lake area and found it largely disappointing. Yes, there are a few pretty villages, but by and large the whole area has sold out to (German) tourism. Not our thing - our (self-driven) day trips out to Bologna, Verona and Mantova were the best part of our holiday.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Very nice Vacation Apartments. Except for the bathroom which really needs renovation, the rest of the apartment was very nice furnished. Clean, sufficient, etc. Grounds and facilities well maintained. Very reasonably priced esp in the off season when we always go. Only 1 km to the Autostrada and other highways. Two km to the nearest Large Grocery Chain Eurospar. Again the only detractor was bathroom. Free WIFI in the Parc Hotel.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom (Trilo) was excellent and only slightly a bit more than the one bedroom!
Reviewed 18 September 2013

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR THE PARC HOTEL PARADISO (Not Active Parc Hotel or residential blocs which are in the same grounds).

Positive first: Good room, ditto room service. Food excellent choice.

BUT: Dogs are allowed in the hotel AND rooms (not in brochures).
All Inclusive definitely NOT (See below).
R & R /Over 50 (Saga for example) NOT RESTFUL (see below).
Reception staff surly and brusque (except for the one man).
Staffing levels kept LOW (No lifeguard(s) - Only one barman - no regular outside
collection of used items).

ALL INCLUSIVE.
The only food outlet by the hotel is CHARGEABLE.
There is NO afternoon tea although dry biscuits open to the elements and flying things
and probably lots of previous hands are there ALL day.
There is a veto against taking any glass or crockery out of the actualhotel building. So:
NO cuppa after a meal al fresco and NO conducive drink whilst either relaxing,
sun-bathing or watching evening entertainment - These are ALL in PLASTIC containers.
On depositing your soul you are allowed to get a GLASS BUT MUST go inside hotel or
outside the main entrance (not comfortable wicker seating).

R & R
Definitely NOT. Between this hotel complex and the Active Parc Hotel are numerous
'intern' blocks used for the more-on-a-budget FAMILIES. They can , of course, use
ALL the facilities AND DO. Evening entertainment becomes beseiged by children,
some unruly and un-controlled by parents (Eg. running and shouting on the dance floor
during entertainment, pulling flower beds to bits). The animation team ATTEMPT to
keep control but as they are all extremely young themselves manage during the day
but are nowhere come evening EXCEPT once a week taking over OUR Hotel area with
a FRENETIC Evening of chaos and Din. The nearest 'pool' is a semi-circular one with
NO room to have sunbeds around. The next is full of the above!!

SO: Being a well-travelled and laid-back individual it saddens me to give such a low opinion
of this place (infact of anything) but, really, it is a location I felt I must say something
about hopefully to assist others in their choice of Hotel around the beautiful Lake
Garda area.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank djlinoldham
Reviewed 18 September 2013

What a shocking hotel. Can't fault its cleanliness but the so called All Inclusive deal isn't worth the paper it's written on. The food and drink served in the hotel were terrible. I wouldn't give it to my cats. The facilities were dire. Nothing at all going on during the day and nothing any good in the evenings. The chances of getting struck by a stray golf ball while sunbathing on the terrace are high. I saw it happen twice where the ball came over the from the green and landed on the sunbathing area. Very dangerous. The only decent food to be had on site was at a Pizza & Pasta Bar but that had to be paid for. Well when you have already paid nearly £1800 for All Inclusive, you don't expect that but you do expect the food in the hotel restaurant to be edible but it wasn't. I actually came home from the holiday having lost weight. Also, although the shuttle bus is useful, it only runs hourly and doesn't tie in with the timing of the boat trips you might want to make so you might find you come back from a boat trip and then have to wait an hour to get back to the hotel. The hotel caters for business conferences and seminars and I felt this was their preference and that us holidaymakers were a nuisance. The conference people even ate different food to us, no doubt it was a darn sight better than our food. The whole experience was an immense disappointment.

Room Tip: We stayed in 3029 which had one of the better views.
2  Thank AnnieEssex_England
#3 of 11 in Castelnuovo del Garda
Enjoy Garda Hotel
Enjoy Garda Hotel
#1 of 28 in Peschiera del Garda

Been to Parc Hotel? Share your experiences!