“Lovely Trip to Porto Moniz - One of the highlights of our trip!”

Porto Moniz Natural Swimming Pools
Northern Wonders Jeep Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My boyfriend is a keen snorkeller, so we were looking at places to go where we could swim & snorkel. We drove to Porto Moniz on two occasions - once late in the afternoon (to see how far there and back it was!) then for our day trip. On both occasions it was beautiful sunshine, and had a very chilled out/holiday vibe about it. On the day we went to swim, we arrived quite early - about 10/11 and things were just opening up. There is pay on the street parking just outside the pools (Think its about 4 euros for 3 hours? So reasonably cheap compared to home!)
Its 1.50 euros per person to go in the pools, which some people on Trip Advisor have moaned about, but for the facilities provided I think thats very reasonable!
There are nice big changing rooms, loos, lockers, which are well kept and clean.
It is also lifeguard patrolled too for added safety.

We spent approx 3-4 hours at the pools, as it was a lovely day! We swam in the sea which is next to the Pools - there is a diving board there too. IT is great for snorkelling - saw hundreds of fish, which was really exciting for me, as I've never seen so many in such a short space of time! The sea is cold when you first get in, but once you're swimming about and your body is accustomed to the temperature, its fine.
There is a snack bar onsite, and the guy who runs it is very friendly and we were chatting to.

The views from the pools are stunning - deep blue and out to sea! If you walk around the edge of the pools you can see big waves rolling in from the atlantic in the distance.
Overall, we had a great day, there were not many people there - so for us perfect!
It was definately very chilled out and one of my holiday highlights.
I would highly reccomend it! It was the best swim we had (out of about 5/6) of our holiday!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

When we left the south of the island it was warm and sunny. But the weather in Porto Moniz, in the north, was completely different, it was actually quite windy and cloudy. But, having made the journey, I decided I ought to go in the pools. I was impressed with the changing rooms, really clean and well maintained. The pools did provide me with a unique swimming experience. However, I have to say by the end, although I felt a sense of achievement for having managed to swim for about 35 minutes I also felt really quite cold that even the cold showers in the changing rooms felt warm. I love swimming and would love to go back to swim here again when it is warm.

One bonus for me was a shop near the pool selling knitwear so I was very happy to be able to buy a nice warm jumper for next winter in the UK.

2  Thank Zoe H
Reviewed 8 April 2014

If you are in Porto Moniz on a nice day, this is a must.

The water is relatively warm, and you can swim with small fishes!

If the seas are pounding in you will not be allowed access.

3  Thank TJ_and_PC
Reviewed 28 March 2014

It was a windy day (yellow flag), so really huge ATLANTIC WAVES broke on the rocks and showered us.
There were no crowds, so all the pools could have been used for swimming. It was GREAT FUN!

PANORAMA is jawdropping. However it is a bit far from Funchal, it is a must feel place and experience in Madeira!

The pool was CLEAN and SAVE. There is a symbolic fee, almost free!

1  Thank NemBala
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Very unusual and interesting place: the main point, main attraction and the main reason for visit of Porto Moniz.But I still not sure, was it worth to visit or not... I think this place is a bit overrated comparing to other Madeira's highlights.

1  Thank Andrej M