“Interesting and different!!”

South West and North West Island Day Tour from Funchal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Loved it!! We came here twice, i love the way its so beautiful and different, some great photos taken, and its free! ( apart from parking!)

1  Thank Mujde06
Write a ReviewReviews (1,966)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

A natural wonder, in an environment that beggars belief. The natural environment itself seems to be carved out of igneous relief, that simply tolerates humanity to hang tenuously on to ledges and crevices. Only by mobilising huge resources and technology can man kind practice some minimal form of control.

1  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Pools were fantastic. We paid a small amount for sun loungers and had a great day. Swimming in the pools which were really clean we could see the fish swimming with us. Really great.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My boyfriend is a keen snorkeller, so we were looking at places to go where we could swim & snorkel. We drove to Porto Moniz on two occasions - once late in the afternoon (to see how far there and back it was!) then for our day trip. On both occasions it was beautiful sunshine, and had a very chilled out/holiday vibe about it. On the day we went to swim, we arrived quite early - about 10/11 and things were just opening up. There is pay on the street parking just outside the pools (Think its about 4 euros for 3 hours? So reasonably cheap compared to home!)
Its 1.50 euros per person to go in the pools, which some people on Trip Advisor have moaned about, but for the facilities provided I think thats very reasonable!
There are nice big changing rooms, loos, lockers, which are well kept and clean.
It is also lifeguard patrolled too for added safety.

We spent approx 3-4 hours at the pools, as it was a lovely day! We swam in the sea which is next to the Pools - there is a diving board there too. IT is great for snorkelling - saw hundreds of fish, which was really exciting for me, as I've never seen so many in such a short space of time! The sea is cold when you first get in, but once you're swimming about and your body is accustomed to the temperature, its fine.
There is a snack bar onsite, and the guy who runs it is very friendly and we were chatting to.

The views from the pools are stunning - deep blue and out to sea! If you walk around the edge of the pools you can see big waves rolling in from the atlantic in the distance.
Overall, we had a great day, there were not many people there - so for us perfect!
It was definately very chilled out and one of my holiday highlights.
I would highly reccomend it! It was the best swim we had (out of about 5/6) of our holiday!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

When we left the south of the island it was warm and sunny. But the weather in Porto Moniz, in the north, was completely different, it was actually quite windy and cloudy. But, having made the journey, I decided I ought to go in the pools. I was impressed with the changing rooms, really clean and well maintained. The pools did provide me with a unique swimming experience. However, I have to say by the end, although I felt a sense of achievement for having managed to swim for about 35 minutes I also felt really quite cold that even the cold showers in the changing rooms felt warm. I love swimming and would love to go back to swim here again when it is warm.

One bonus for me was a shop near the pool selling knitwear so I was very happy to be able to buy a nice warm jumper for next winter in the UK.

2  Thank Zoe H