“Spectacular”

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I took the bus to Porto Moniz from Funchal and really enjoyed an afternoon here at the lava pools before our retun in the afternoon. The pools were pretty crowded, and everyone (families with small children, teenagers on the prowl, elderly tourists such as ourselves etc) were all having such a happy time. The facilities (pool and changing rooms) were clean, the location was spectacular, and as a very old chap, I paid but a Euro admission. By the way, I'm pretty sure that when we were there, there were very few other tourists: most were locals enjoying themselves at their own facility that would be the envy of any other local government. We didn't try the cafe at the pools: it didn't look great.

3 Thank James G

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“not so interesting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Actually place is ok, but there were better places. I had no wish to swim there. We have seen really natural pools, but there people tried to make them more comfortable for tourists, that I don't like

1 Thank olga Z
Maastricht, The Netherlands
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“scenic pools”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Didn't get into the pools because of the weather, but the pools looked very scenic. Small entrance fee for visiting.

1 Thank evz32
East Coast
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“What fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped in Porto Moniz as part of a day tour from Funchal. The weather was a bit grey so I wavered about whether to swim or not, but I'm so glad we tried it! The entrance fee of 1.50 euros is very modest, and the facilities exceeded our expectations. We were there on a windy, wavy day (yellow flag) so it was AMAZING to be able to be so close to the big crashing waves and yet quite sheltered from their force. This was one of my favorite activities from a week on Madeira! A definite must-do if you like to swim!

3 Thank HappyTraveler64
Madeira, Portugal
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Cleanliness and maintenance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been to Porto Moniz many times but took my grandchildren last week to swim. I was saddened to see the state of the pools and surrounding walls and the staff in the café. We called in during March and the complex was closed for maintenance but what did they do? Yesterday the pool areas with white walls were badly stained, the steps down into the pools were dirty and had sand or grit floating in them. My grandchildren found loads of floating dead fish in the various pools, which in itself is not nice for children. When there was a short shower of rain we called into the café for a drink, the 'waitress' was dressed in dirty trainers, leggings and a hoody. Although the entrance fee is small, cleanliness and basic hygiene should not be compromised. I think it will be a while before we go again, not a pleasant experience. If you can't go to the pools there is little else P.M. has to offer, so perhaps a rethink is needed.

6 Thank flowercity