“Great childrens pool, great rooms!”

Evenia Zoraida Garden
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Roquetas de Mar
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We travelled to Zoraida with Solresor, stayed 2 weeks All Inclusive, we were a party of 2 adults and 2 children 3 and 8 years old.
Staff: As previous travelers says, the do not speak English, some a couple of words, some don’t even know beer and four ;) So our tip is to learn some basic Spanish before going here that will make your stay so much better. There is some bar personnel that do not seem to like their job you learn who they are and then try to avoid them. Pool staff are mostly friendly and they like their whistle’s a lot ;)
Food an dining room: Food is average or slightly below average compared to other AI. You would expect a lot of vegetables and fruit since the hotel is situated in the middle of one of the world’s largest greenhouse areas but the vegetables are boring and repetitive and overcooked, first week the only fruit served was apples, bananas and oranges, none of them any better than the fruit we buy at home which was really disappointing. When travelling to this area I expect to eat mainly fruit and veggies and that the quality of this should be very good. There were some dishes that I would rate as good (veal in mushroom sauce, mussels and the grilled fish if you can stop them from grilling it 3 times longer than it should be grilled, if you know how to ask them in Spanish they will grill it to your liking), mostly the food was “well we eat something”. Breakfast only serves white bread so we ended up buying bread in the supermarket next door and bringing that to breakfast. There are soy milk and lactose free products available upon request. Dining room is very noisy, and there are no tables outside, try the “pizzeria” behind the water slides, smaller, quiet and you can sit outside! We eat two nights at taco bar “Gambio” 10minutes to the right on the beach walk and up the street at the small Tivoli, VERY good and cheap! Try it! We also brought fruit from dining area to eat as snack since the snacks included in AI did not include fruit but only hamburgers, chips and sandwiches. Wine was served on bottles which we really liked, and Cava was also included in AI. Ice-creams on AI-list did not include any popsicles but the hotel gave us popsicles from the ordinary ice creams for our milk allergic child, would have been easy for them to have a popsicle on the AI-ice cream menu!
Pools: Very cold if the night temperature is cold, but still ok I think. The children’s pool and the water slides are great! But the pool rules for the large “adult” pool is way too strict, you are not even allowed to play with a small ball, that’s a shame, the pool is enormous and there is room for both play and swimming – why not just divide it with a swim line? Our 8-year old would probably have done “less harm” playing in the large pool than going mad in the small children area…. Pools do not open until 10 am, with kids that are up at 7 that is a long time to wait. You need to be up at 7 and reserve a sun bed if you want it any way near the children areas.
Beach: Pebbels, do not bother to bring sand toys. Cold water if wind is from the west. Nice playareas along the beach though!
Rooms: Small but functional. The small space could have been used more wisely, for instance the refrigerator could have been placed on a shelf leaving room for suitcases below, the bed-side-tables could have had some drawers. The one big thing we didn’t like was that the room only has one free socket, which makes it hard to charge two phones during the night which lead us to have to use the sockets in the bathroom, bring a splitter! There is a hanging rack on the balcony – points for that! Shame there isn´t hanging space in the hallway, a couple of simple hooks on the wall would have been great! The beds are hard, if that is a problem for you, bring a foam mat or like. If you travel with small children I would advise not to use a cot but instead push one bed against the wardrobe and place the baby there, also if you have a large pram there is a risk you do not manage to get it through the hallway. Cleaning was ok. There was no soap for the zink but the small bottles with shower gel, not particularly environmental conscious to use small bottles! AC worked fine and was without a charge. Rooms with a sea view is recommended but be aware that there might be large music from the entertainment until 11 pm. Rooms do not have iron boards and iron and in fact you can´t get it from the reception either so do not bother bringing clothes that need ironing.
Animation: Kids liked the mini disco and the staff in the children area was very nice with the children! The pirate magic show was REALLY good, the rest of the entertainment was not up to the same standard, the music was often very loud. Animation team spoke several languages which was appreciated. Aqua Aerobics was fun but not very “aerobic”, as a workout it sucked, as entertainment it was brilliant, more Wacka Wacka to the people! There was a lot of animation we did not attend, there is a busy schedule every day, if you want to you can be busy from 11-11 :D
Other: The gym was fairly good equipped; I brought my own TRX-set so only really needed somewhere to hook it up. The basement also has a room with air hockey, pool tables and more, sorry it did not have any indoor play area for the children. The indoor pool was closed when we stayed here. There is a small play ground with a slide and some slings.

To sum up, a very nice hotell that could have been so much nicer with some small changes.

Room Tip: Try to get a room a bit away from Central Plaza the enterainment can be very loud.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank MarinaE
Write a ReviewReviews (1,397)

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner and I have just returned home from this hotel and we can truly say we had a great time. We booked through Thomas Cook and flew with Easyjet (no complaints there plus we loved having a rep, though we didn't speak to her much, she was very helpful in telling us all we needed to know).
Our room was great, 2 massive double beds and a gorgeous view of the sea. We went all-inclusive and were very glad to find that there were quite a few things included in it. The hotel was nice and clean and the food was what you would expect from a hotel buffet in Spain. The fish and vegetables were always fresh and I loved having some fresh salad everyday. We especially liked the fact that there was another restaurant within the Zoraida resort named El Jardin serving an a la carte menu. It is exclusively for all-inclusive members and we would highly recommend it. The pool was great and the slides were so much fun (need I mention we are a young couple in our 20s). The entertainment was great as well and I don't know why people complain about this, the entertainers did their best to translate into English but why would you expect English-speaking entertainment in Spain? What is the point of going abroad only to be surrounded by British people?! You may as well go to the South of England. I enjoyed the change and the different culture and whilst it was refreshing to hear a bit of English at times, it was nice to feel like I was actually abroad.
One of the slightly frustrating things was that it was perhaps difficult at times for us to communicate with the staff when ordering, but we tried and so did they, perhaps we should have learnt some Spanish words first. They were all friendly.
The other thing is that being a young couple, we wanted to get away from kids so whilst we had an amazing holiday, this resort is definitely more for families. The last annoying thing was getting up at 7am to reserve sun beds, we went back to bed right after though, however we did go down at about 10:30am one day and still found one or two empty sunbeds scattered around. Definitely as much pot luck as any other holiday resort in Spain during school holidays. We would probably not return based solely on the fact that it is a resort geared more around family entertainment, however we would highly recommend it for a family holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room when booking
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stefanie S
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay, all inclusive. A family of 4 (2 adults, 3yr old and 1yr old). I can safely say we will never return here again! I feel so upset we wasted £1500.

Firstly from the first meal (I think lunch) we attended, we noticed the staff look after their own. Totally blunt and rude to the English but overally friendly to the Spanish.
The spanish have no manners at all and the children were disgusting! My 3yr old son tried to join in playing with the children whether it be in the pools or the pointless arcade, and I kid you not he got hissed at, raspberries blown in his face, pushed. They are vile and the parents are no better.
In the evenings the entertainment was poor and all in spanish anyway! Again there would be spanish kids running up and down corridors at 2am shouting, slaming doors and laughing. Again the parents would be doing the same so their no better. We met an english family who asked to move from their room because their naigbours were so noisy despite being asked 3 times to keep the noise down.
The rooms were tiny, 1 small bin in bathroom, not enough storage! They stunk of sewage and the cleaners never change the sheets, they just made the beds. We didnt bother getting a cot as the beds were big enough for us 4 to share and quite frankly not sure where it would have gone.
Now the food I would not feed to my cat! Totally spanish based. The 'english' food that was available Jamie Oliver would have a heart attack. Processed garbage. Absolutely disgusting, and the same every day but the spanish food changed all the time. My partner lived of salad all week he was livid! The meat was tripe.
The pools were nice, abit chilly although the baby pool that is off the main pool gets lovely and warm. My little girl loved it in that one. You can't sunbath without getting flies landing on you and your food and drinks. This is probably due to the fact that the pool areas dont get cleaned until the morning and thats still not great. I would recommend you reserve sunbeds with your towels at 6:30am as they all go very quick. Even the back ones.
Nice selection of cocktails and ice creams on the all inclusive option.
We highly recommend the Mini Hollywood day trip. We loved it!!
The beach is ok but shingle. Nice little fair and shops if you turn right out the resort and walk about 15mins.

Overall this hotel caters for the Spanish!
We would never return again and the 4 other british families we met all agreed the same. Such a shame. Not a patch on the holiday villages at all!
I would not recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Earlybi
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Have recently arrived back from this hotel after a 10day stay and all I can say is absolutely loved it. 2 vast hotels on same complex and both as good as each other.We stayed in Zoraida Park and ate in Zoraida Garden which is good because you can mix and match.I do agree with some people about the Spanish guests although I researched this before we booked and made sure it was not during their holiday time so no problem.Being a non swimmer it seems strange not to be able to enjoy the 2 massive swimming pools although I was quite happy people watching and sun bathing(28degrees).Food was very good and varied while we were there.I think we would go back to these hotels as at the time we went it was not too crowded(22nd May to 2nd June). Give it a try you may be surprised.

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms have a sea view but I think possibly the Zoraida Park was better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank boneydy
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I always read the reviews on here and wonder why some people go abroad at all, but this hotel was even a bit too 'spanish' even for me.The hotel itself is lovely, the rooms are clean and comfortable, we stayed for 11 nights and althought the food was ok and there was always something to choose from, it is catered to the spanish guests, as someone else has previously said a few strange items on the menu ie pigs trotters. Again the entertainment is all for the spanish guests there was one night out of the 11 that we could understand the singer. The hotel actually allows local residents to come in for the entertainment and they completely over run the place, ill mannered and rude.
The hotel pool is freezing cold due to fountains which are left on constantly. Everywhere in the immediate area is either closed or being demolished. If you walk for around half hour along the front you do get a small shopping area, again though very 'spanish' only and quite rude to the english.
Althought the weather was hot and was nice to be away from home we would definately not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: don't bother going at all
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen E
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay in zoraida hotel. I shall never return again the hotel is terrible
Full of rude Spanish guests who don't have any manners and push in front of you even when you have a 10 month old baby with you! The food is vile and caterers for the Spanish guests one day pigs trotters was even on the menu they don't have any children's menu and no water available until 10am when the bar opens in the morning. No kettles in the room and the staff do not understand hot water or how to warm bottles up so being with my 10 month old baby was very difficult when the restaurant was not open as this is the place the only microwave is available to use. We booked for 4 adults and one infant when arriving we was told we had to pay extra for a cot which ended up being n extra £30 for the week, I ha never heard of charges for a cot before in n hotel. Our room was small and added extra stress to our stay they pushed a cot in and squeezed it on end of the bed so we had to spend 1 week in 1 room no draws in the rooms to keep anything in and only a bathroom sink to clean bottles etc in! There was only one small bathroom bin in the room which the cleaners never emptied so we had to keep walking to the bin in the hallway to put nappies In, the cleaners also didn't change the bedding the who,e time we was there thy jut made the beds with same sheets. The room stunk of smoke and the bathroom stunk of sewage, the toasters and burgers they have available are made of reformed meat and taste like spam and all the pools are freezing cold. I shall never return to this hotel and I feel ripped off for spending over £1000 on a holiday here I Amy as well of gone and thrown my money down the toilet.

Room Tip: Tip Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Karen J
Reviewed 8 May 2013

got a cheep deal aug 20013, family of 4, great price £2100 ish! totally loved this hotel really trendy great right next to beach, and water park was fab, i am one to complain but the only thing that i can complain about was one toilet outside the back of the waterpark smelt, that was it! would love to go back but as my sun is mow 13 he would have to have a room on this own!! is all very spanish what i wanted as not to many brits and the entertaiment and music was orthentic. even had a small fridge in room which is handy with kids! please ask any questions!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family