“Faultless”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Benasque
Brighton
“Faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Wonderful hotel with friendly helpful staff located in the most wonderful setting.

I first went to this valley 22 years ago, no hotel and just a track. I had worried the valley may have been spoiled but although more people it hasn't changed the valley. The Aneto glacier does seem to have shrunk though, as glaciers worldwide have.

Go there, stay over a few nights, pop on your day sack and step out straight into the wild.

Room Tip: De luxe rooms have a view down the valley.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is the perfect place to enjoy winter sports like skiing and to stay in the heart of nature in a magic place. Very very recommended. I would love to repeat, I see a perfect place to go as a couple, with friends or family. And super fun for the kids are in the countryside.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is such of a gem of a location that to me the hotel itself is really secondary. That being said we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel after reading some of the reviews here and elsewhere. And, as a disclaimer, we were there immediately after New Years before Kings Day - so it was a very busy time to be in the hotel.
First - as I mentioned, the location is divine - whether summer or winter there are so many outdoor possibilities with this location and such incredible beauty. Every day brought a smile to my face just stepping outside. This alone makes it a repeat in my book.
The hotel itself is ski-lodgy. It has a cozy exterior and a bustling interior. The rooms are average-sized and the amenities normal for a ski-lodge. The beds were comfortable although the duvet was dated (think polyester). There was plenty of lighting and plenty of plugs. And, there were hooks everywhere so you could hang your wet clothes. We were actually surprised because we expected the rooms to be more spartan (based on reviews) but they had a wood chalet type of decor that although dated (and occasionally a bit musty) was cozy. In the bathroom there was an adequate shower/tub and two sinks. There was a heater in there as well which made it always toasty (sometimes too toasty). We had a room on the second floor that overlooked the parking lot. Although this sounds terrible, it wasn't in reality and the only time we had to close our window (in general the whole hotel felt a tad hot so we kept our window open at night) was in the early morning when they were shoveling the driveway. Otherwise, we were not bothered by car or foot traffic.
The rest of the hotel is user-friendly. There is a main café where you eat breakfast. The breakfast is functional - there is a selection of sliced white bread that you can toast, and a wider-selection of pastries - chocolate croissant etc - providing you don't come down towards the tail end of breakfast. There are several different juice options and when the coffee-maker broke (our first morning there due to overuse) the café provided free fresh coffees for everybody (no small feat given the crowds). There is also a hot dish (ham and eggs the two days we were there) and yogurt, cheeses and meats.
After breakfast the café is an a la carte bar. You can order salads, pizzas, and bocadillos (and other standard Spanish fare) there during lunchtime and dinnertime (as well as the normal soda and cocktails). At lunchtime (between 1:30 - 2:30) the place is a zoo. There are kids everywhere, but even with this, you can usually find a table, and the service is remarkably fast and friendly. After 2:30 things slow down and this becomes a more pleasant experience. At night people sit in there and drink and play games (you can get board games and cards from the front desk), talk, and wait for dinner to be served (doors open at 8:30 in the main dining room). As nighttime falls, the café becomes a little cozier and more inviting than earlier. During lunch it often felt like the standard ski-lift type of cafeteria. however, in the evening with the lights dimmed and a big chunk of the kids gone it became quite welcoming. I was surprised though that they didn't seem to have a fire going anywhere in the hotel (which I would have loved).
The dining room provides lunch and dinner. We never tried the lunch but had dinner there both nights. In general, the reviews all critique the food. And, although it wasn't gourmet, I was pleasantly surprised particularly because I am a vegetarian. Instead of getting stuck with the normal ensalada sin atun, the main dinner had a different salad each of the two nights we were there - and both times it was a salad that had some interesting elements - e.g., pine nuts, avocado, apples, etc. Furthermore, there was a plain pasta (on the kids menu) that I ordered both nights (as the rest of the food didn't leave many options (or any options) for pure vegetarians). The second night I asked if instead of the tomato sauce they could do a garlic-oil sauce - which they nicely did. Furthermore, my husband ordered a fish dish both nights and said it was well-prepared, despite the mass-production that the dinner seemed to be (people swarm in, wait staff scurry around, and your food comes out with lightening speed). As I said, overall the food was better than we had expected.
We also tried the spa (a pool with spray stations and jacuzzi (with cold water) and a sauna (which I would have liked to make hotter). Overall, it was nice but it wasn't worth paying to do it twice.
A second thing beyond the location that really stands out to me was the staff. Everybody was exceptionally helpful even though they had been barraged by people and kids, and more kids, throughout the week (and likely the week earlier). I was amazed. When we asked for recommendations on things to do, there was always someone to suggest a trail or route and to provide clear and detailed directions for how to get there (not something you get often). And, in general, all staff were pleasant, patient with our Spanish, and amazingly helpful - particularly the staff in the café and the dinning room who had do with hungry masses.
My only real critical feedback about the place is the price. We paid 144/night for our room and breakfast. My husband happened to notice that earlier in the month it had been half the price. This is normal given that it was the week after New Years, however, I was then surprised that we had to pay for so much else - use of the hotel spa (15 euros a person), rent snow shoes/skis, to use the ski trail, etc. That was a little disappointing, but all it says to me is to go there during the off-season if you want to pay less and have a more tranquil experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ln2inSegovia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benasque
Hotel Aneto
#2 of 5 in Cerler
Hotel San Marsial
Hotel San Marsial
#9 of 12 in Benasque

Been to Hospital de Benasque? Share your experiences!