“Best Holiday!”

Latas Surf House
Ranked #2 of 8 Somo B&B and Inns
“Best Holiday!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just come back from the best holiday we've had! Such a great atmosphere at Latas Surf house, with chilled out vibe. Carlosregularly seriouslytook care of us and made sure we had a good time. There was a mix up with over booking the surf house so we had to stay in a b+b for a few nights but it was sorted straight away and were leant bikes to cycle back and forth. Only 5 min ride away.
It was my Birthday on the second night and Carlos made a booking for us in a local restaurant ended up being 19 of us and was a great ice breaker good food then on to his cousins bar next door we had the best night and still got up for surfing in the morning!
We even had our own dog for the week! Barry (Carlos dog) followed us down to the beach a few times and even walked himself back when he'd had enough!
To get the ferry from Somo to Santander its only 15-20 min walk from the surf house. Which we can highly recommend we found a great Tapas bar the best tapas ever so much food and the service was second to none. Although watch out for the 0% alcohol beer! We had one each and thought it tasted too nice and found out there was no alcohol in it!
Best thing is that I can now surf! And we met some great people and had some good laughs. The surf house was cleaned very regularly I was surprised to not see many grains of sand in the room so close to the beach! Plenty of equipment readily available and food was cheap and tasty!
Good holiday for anyone who likes a laid back relaxed atmosphere as well as action packed days.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Chess_Dave

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Nottingham
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Having stayed at Latas on three occasions now it would be fair to say that i'm a big fan of the place. Whether it be the laid back atmosphere perfect for relaxing and winding down during the day, to the multitude of activities put on by the staff at night that lead to those fond holiday memories that we so happily look back on.

Latas sits in an ideal location with the beach, arguably the best positioned for waves in Northern Spain according to several of the experts, only a short walk away, making it very accessible for both morning lessons and afternoon lounging.
One of the great things that I found about Latas, besides the very welcoming staff, was the availability of the equipment. I had assumed, given the relatively cheap price in comparison to other surfing experiences, especially in the UK, that the lessons would be my limit to surfing. I couldn't have been more wrong however, with Carlos the owner making it very clear that following the morning lessons, everyone was welcome to use any of the surfing equipment (boards, wet suits etc) whenever we wished, leading to some of my most fond memories being made when catching the waves right before sunset!

The dormitory style rooms provide an opportunity for every one to get to know each other right away and are part of the reason why people leave Latas feeling very much as part of a group and often return with some of the people that they originally met.

In conclusion, i'd recommend Latas to all surfers who enjoy a great atmosphere, laid back vibe and consistent waves. The lessons are especially ideal for beginners, as it provides the opportunity to bond with others from around the world as you learn a new skill.

I can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Dormitory rooms offer a great opportunity to meet and bond with lots of new people!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hartpury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I really enjoyed my week learning to surf staying at Latas Surf House. The staff are really friendly and helpful. They are quite chilled out about things and also want you to have a good time.

We stayed in dormitory type bedrooms with 4 sets of bunk beds which was fine for us. The bathroom was clean yet it seemed past visitors had left all their toiletries in the bath which I wasn't sure if they were for us to use/forgot to clear them out. We were given towels which were clean but it looked like they had seen better days. To be honest we took them to the beach and used our own towels for washing.

Breakfast was good served outside in the garden next to the surf bar. They also sometimes served lunch and dinner, yet it would only be served if they felt like doing it. Most dinner times it would be a barbecue which was very yummy and at a very good price. If dinner wasn't being served you could always go to the Latas House Surf Bar which is part of Surf House's building, yet I think it is run independently (I didn't see any of the staff or instructors go in there) or walk to Somo or Loredo in about 15/20mins.

The main part was the surfing! The surf house is located very near the beach, just a 7 minute walk with your board. Both my friend and I had had a couple of lessons before so we weren't complete beginners. I found they went through the process very quickly on land and for people who hadn't surfed before they might have found it a little difficult. I had a good time and found it lots of fun in the water where they did coach you. Lessons after that day were a bit more thorough on land so overall I would say the teaching was good and by the end of the week we were catching waves and standing up well. After the lessons in the morning you could either head back to surf house for lunch or stay at the beach. Either way after lunch or if you were still at the beach they were pretty chilled about you taking boards and wetsuits to surf by yourself in the afternoon which we preferred because there would be less people in the sea.

One thing I would say that there is not that much going on in the evening so if you are looking for a surf party or bars and clubs this may not quite be the surf spot for you. Somo is a very quiet spanish town surrounded by a lot of countryside so if you are looking for a night out you would have to catch the ferry to Santander and get a taxi back which can we quite pricey.

Overall I had lots of fun staying at Latas Surf House, the surf instructors and the other visitors make you feel very welcome and are extremely friendly and a good laugh

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Spent a week here in August.surf lessons were great with a lot of the surf lessons through english.staff were all great and very helpful and friendly in every way and really made the stay really enjoyable.great food like bbq's and paella for 6-7euro everyday and good party atmosphere in the bar every night.there was a small problem with a double booking of our room for the last two nights and we moved to a guest house a short distance down the road.As with everything during our stay, the owner Carlos was really helpful and loaned us his car for the few days we had to move. Would really recommend a surf holiday here and hope to return again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed here last week and had one of the best holidays possible. Carlos was amazing even before we arrived, Danny picked us up from airport and we were treated like one big family from beginning to end of the stay. What ever you wanted the team would do their best to make it happen. Great fun instructors for beginners ,loads of kit, all in good condition. The instructors also great for intermediate advice for me. Ale- you're a diamond, you made our stay a pleasure, Alexia, Joaqui and Paco too, you're awesome, thank you for making us feel so welcome.

Rooms are basic but everything you need, clean and everything works. Great kitchen for preparing your own basic meals, BBQ in the garden and Carlos cooked a (massive) paella for a very reasonable 6 euro each. Cold beers in the vending machine. Beach is spectacular, small waves on the east end, big waves in the middle. Somo is lovely, everything you need and food/drink are very reasonable price and very good quality. Boat to Santander for 4 euro return.
We are coming back later in the summer Carlos- will book later!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We booked a surf trip through an agent only to discover the day before, by chance that the booking was not confirmed with the Hosteria, and they were full up. I emailed and heard back without delay, Carlos was fantastic, as was Ale, they rang us in Scotland, chatted through options, told us not to worry and helped sort it all out easily. We didnt stay here (full) but they organised the airport transfer and surf lessons, we found a great late rate in hotel torres a few minutes walk away. Overall, our trip was just three days and the surf school was busy, yet the personal touch and relaxed attention to detail from all the staff but in and out the surf, a group lesson with individual attention was quite impressive. I even got up on my board on thesecond attempt on my board, more to do with the instruction, wave quality and kit that me really - great place to have a go as well as progress (my partner can surf)!

Thanks to all the guys for rescuing our trip,and the surf cool, Spanish generosity. There is also a great fish restaurant in town, ask, it is in a different league but not very expensive. if i recall the name i will post it

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in the summer, about a week before peak season, and it was brilliant.

We were lucky with the weather, in that it chucked it down up until and including the day we arrived. On the second day they sun came out for the rest of our wonderful stay. Once we left it rained again for a week! This area of Spain is notoriously wetter than the rest, but this results in a beautiful lush region.

My partner had stayed here alone a couple of years earlier and was desperate to return, with me in tow. I had been surfing and had lessons one before, in Newquay, UK. I loved it and was looking forward to trying again.

Our stay was amazing, we did not stay in the hostel rooms, but guest house side, where the rooms we simple, but clean and comfortable - everything you need for a surfing holiday.

Carlos, the owner is the most caring and accommodating guy I have ever met, and clearly loves his job and the people who come to stay with him. It's like he's welcoming you into his home. He's incredibly sociable and we enjoyed a beer with him on a couple of occasions.

The bar is great with a nice buzz even during quieter times, and a lot of locals head down to drink here too. We had the bonus of witnessing Spain beat Italy in the Euros which created an amazing atmosphere - well maybe not to the group of Italian lads who were sulking for the rest of the evening.

The accommodation is close to the beautiful long stretch of clean beaches with a view over to Santander. The surf was great and the instructor who took our lesson was fun and charismatic, and I learned a lot. I can *just* about stand, for a second or two.

The town of Somo is lovely, a real Spanish town, with plenty of restaurants selling delicious fresh seafood, all at a great price, as it's a small town outside the grandiose Santander. The walk from the Surf House to Somo is about 10 minutes, and you can walk down the hill through a nice housing estate, and if you time it right you catch a breath taking sunset over Santander and the sea.

We cannot wait to return to Somo, and see Carlos and stay in his brilliant surf house. I would recommend it to anywhere wanting to go surfing, and stay somewhere fun with a friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: They have great dorm rooms for groups, but if you visit as a couple it's worth paying to stay in...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iamsakurasunshine
ErrantSurfHolidays, Director of Sales at Latas Surf House, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
It was awesome to have you. Thanks for sharing the review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somo
Hotel Bemon Playa
#3 of 14 in Somo
Hostal Meve
Hostal Meve
#11 of 14 in Somo

Been to Latas Surf House? Share your experiences!